New Article: Senate Moving Quickly on Two Gun Bills

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Article: Senate Moving Quickly on Two Gun Bills

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I'd rather see CHL just turn into HL (concealed and open) first, anyway. It will, hopefully, allow the notion of it to ease into public consciousness. And campus carry, IMHO, is long overdue, but better late than never.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I'd rather see CHL (Concealed Handgun License) just turn into HL (Handgun License) (concealed and open) first, anyway. It will, hopefully, allow the notion of it to ease into public consciousness. And campus carry, IMHO, is long overdue, but better late than never.
I like your train of thought, but I think the semantics are important. Instead of the definitions above (which I added in red for clarity's sake), I prefer the ones below:
I'd rather see CHL (Concealed Handgun License) just turn into CL (Carry License) (concealed and open) first, anyway. It will, hopefully, allow the notion of it to ease into public consciousness. And campus carry, IMHO, is long overdue, but better late than never.
Like I said, it's just semantics, but I don't like the sound of a 'handgun license'. It sounds like it's more regressive than we currently have (sort of like living in DC).
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Does the Campus Carry bill apply to students, teachers and staff? Does that mean it excludes visitors, parents, and guest speakers? If what I've written is true, then I hope it gets modified to be more inclusive. Sure, the incremental change of just the first three groups is an improvement, but it's not far enough.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

stash

Post by stash »

I am not sure, but I believe it would apply to anyone with a CHL. I further believe that if campus carry passes, it will give institutions the option to opt in or out (too many powerful people for it not to be this way). What I am really hoping, is that while campus carry and OC are being bandied around, carry anywhere (almost) will get some traction.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TVGuy »

stash wrote:I am not sure, but I believe it would apply to anyone with a CHL. I further believe that if campus carry passes, it will give institutions the option to opt in or out (too many powerful people for it not to be this way). What I am really hoping, is that while campus carry and OC are being bandied around, carry anywhere (almost) will get some traction.
Only private institutions would be allowed to opt-out, unless otherwise amended.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Vol Texan wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Does the Campus Carry bill apply to students, teachers and staff? Does that mean it excludes visitors, parents, and guest speakers? If what I've written is true, then I hope it gets modified to be more inclusive. Sure, the incremental change of just the first three groups is an improvement, but it's not far enough.
My interpretation of this: Sec. 411.2031 (c) Except as provided by Subsection (d) or (e), an
institution of higher education or private or independent
institution of higher education in this state may not adopt any
rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders
from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution.

is that state universities are absolutely prohibited from having rules, policies, etc. that restrict faculty, staff, or students from carrying concealed. That leaves only the issue (Subsection (d)) about storage in dorms and (e) private school broader restrictions. There appeared to be a little room for other concessions (per Duncan's testimony) related to funded projects, labs, etc., although Sen. Birdwell stressed that he was not going to let those kinds of concessions affect the broad impact of the bill.

In other words, if SB 11 becomes law, I expect to be able to carry in my university office building as well as the off-campus research/extension facilities around the State.

The remaining question I have is whether the University System will drop its current restrictions on carrying while in University vehicles or rental cars.

---------

Vol Tex, I just realized I was reading your concern in reverse. Being a university system employee, I was assuming that the main risk was that the criminality of entering university buildings would be removed (enabling Joe Q. Visitor CHL to enter) but that the university might restrict employees as a matter of workplace policy. However, items b) and c) of the subsection referenced above appear to prevent that.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Vol Texan wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

All CHL holders will be able to carry on campus if it passes. It does not make the distinction of student, teacher, parent, or guest.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”