Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16531
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:26 am

TexasFirearmsCoalition.com wrote:Self-defense is a statewide constitutional issue, not a local issue.

Two “gun bills” were the subject of a public hearing on Thursday, February 12, 2015 in the Senate State Affairs Committee. SB11 is this session’s campus-carry bill and SB17 a/k/a SB346 would allow people with a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to carry their self-defense handgun either openly or concealed. It was a very long day for everyone and the testimony was pretty much what one would expect. This article will address only SB11, campus-carry. . . .


Full article: http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com
Image

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22730
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby The Annoyed Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

Crossfire posted the following on her Facebook page yesterday:
Just wanted to offer up a couple of quotes from the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on the Campus Carry Bill -

From UT Chancellor, William McRaven: "In light of all these concerns and apprehensions, I feel the presence of concealed weapons will make a campus a less-safe environment."

From Texas A&M Chancellor, John Sharp: "I cannot speak to the effect campus carry would have on other institutions and their students. However, I have complete trust and faith in our students. Having licensed gun owners in possession of legal weapons on our campuses does not raise safety concerns for me personally. The real question is this: Do I trust my students, faculty, and staff to work and live responsibly under the same laws at the university as they do at home? Of course I do!"

I went to A&M, so I am biased anyway, but for certain I would encourage my own kids and grandkids to choose A&M over UT for this reason alone......

.....excluding the fact that they'll get a better education at A&M than UT. :mrgreen:
:leaving
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

K5GU
Senior Member
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Texas

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby K5GU » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:Crossfire posted the following on her Facebook page yesterday:
Just wanted to offer up a couple of quotes from the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on the Campus Carry Bill -

From UT Chancellor, William McRaven: "In light of all these concerns and apprehensions, I feel the presence of concealed weapons will make a campus a less-safe environment."

From Texas A&M Chancellor, John Sharp: "I cannot speak to the effect campus carry would have on other institutions and their students. However, I have complete trust and faith in our students. Having licensed gun owners in possession of legal weapons on our campuses does not raise safety concerns for me personally. The real question is this: Do I trust my students, faculty, and staff to work and live responsibly under the same laws at the university as they do at home? Of course I do!"

I went to A&M, so I am biased anyway, but for certain I would encourage my own kids and grandkids to choose A&M over UT for this reason alone......

.....excluding the fact that they'll get a better education at A&M than UT. :mrgreen:
:leaving

:iagree:
Life is good.


J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby J.R.@A&M » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Amen. Thank you for this article.
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts: 10364
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Oldgringo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Let me see if I've got this right, U.T. is in Austin and TAM is out in the country somewhere. Is that right?


Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 am
Location: Cedar Park Texas

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Cedar Park Dad » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:47 am

Oldgringo wrote:Let me see if I've got this right, U.T. is in Austin and TAM is out in the country somewhere. Is that right?


UT Austin is in a quaint northern California college town called Austin :biggrinjester: . UT Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso are in different Texas cities.

Aggieville is in Bryan, out in the country, not far outside the 4th largest city in the US.


Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 am
Location: Cedar Park Texas

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Cedar Park Dad » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:49 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasFirearmsCoalition.com wrote:Self-defense is a statewide constitutional issue, not a local issue.

Two “gun bills” were the subject of a public hearing on Thursday, February 12, 2015 in the Senate State Affairs Committee. SB11 is this session’s campus-carry bill and SB17 a/k/a SB346 would allow people with a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to carry their self-defense handgun either openly or concealed. It was a very long day for everyone and the testimony was pretty much what one would expect. This article will address only SB11, campus-carry. . . .


Full article: http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com


I understand their point, I just don't agree with it. If its a public university its no different then any other similar entity.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22730
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby The Annoyed Man » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:03 am

Oldgringo wrote:Let me see if I've got this right, U.T. is in Austin and TAM is out in the country somewhere. Is that right?

Uh, no. I live in the DFW metroplex. :mrgreen:

But if you meant TAMU, then no..... it isn't out in the country somewhere. It is in College Station, a city of a little over 100,000 inhabitants, and right next door to Bryan, population 79,000.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Crossfire
Moderator
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:27 am
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Crossfire » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:18 am

College Station IS a small town, considering that, by comparison, TAMU has an enrollment of about 40,000.

I am proud to say that two of our kiddos, and our son from another mother (son-in-law), graduated from the A&M system.

And, although the youngest didn't go to A&M, at least she didn't go to UT! :lol:
Texas LTC and Utah CFP Instructor, MorphoTrust Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts: 10364
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Oldgringo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 am

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Let me see if I've got this right, U.T. is in Austin and TAM is out in the country somewhere. Is that right?


UT Austin is in a quaint northern California college town called Austin :biggrinjester: . UT Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso are in different Texas cities.

Aggieville is in Bryan, out in the country, not far outside the 4th largest city in the US.


WINNER! Give the man a cigar, Bill.

NO, not that one, give him a new one. :smilelol5:


J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby J.R.@A&M » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Borrowing from Charles' article, I incorporated the following into a comment on the (laughable) Texas Observer website:

"...The main issue is this: Neither Collin Goddard nor the Whitman massacre survivors nor my system chancellor can say anything about what my situational needs will be in the extremely unlikely, but potentially catastrophic event of an active shooter in my university building. I prefer to have the same choices inside the building that I have outside. It is not the purview of university/system administration to make security choices for me (unless, of course, they are willing to pay for guards and metal detectors at the entrances to university buildings, which they most certainly are not). Security and self defense issues are the purview of the state legislature, similarly to issues like the legal drinking age, voting age, sexual consent age, etc. ..."
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass


Jason K
Banned
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am
Location: Close to Waco....but not too close.

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Jason K » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Crossfire posted the following on her Facebook page yesterday:
Just wanted to offer up a couple of quotes from the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on the Campus Carry Bill -

From UT Chancellor, William McRaven: "In light of all these concerns and apprehensions, I feel the presence of concealed weapons will make a campus a less-safe environment."

From Texas A&M Chancellor, John Sharp: "I cannot speak to the effect campus carry would have on other institutions and their students. However, I have complete trust and faith in our students. Having licensed gun owners in possession of legal weapons on our campuses does not raise safety concerns for me personally. The real question is this: Do I trust my students, faculty, and staff to work and live responsibly under the same laws at the university as they do at home? Of course I do!"

I went to A&M, so I am biased anyway, but for certain I would encourage my own kids and grandkids to choose A&M over UT for this reason alone......

.....excluding the fact that they'll get a better education at A&M than UT. :mrgreen:
:leaving


Considering Baylor's BoR is sounding more like UT than TAMU, I may have to add a little more maroon to my wardrobe.....

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby oohrah » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:03 am

Jason, do you have a reference?

During the 2013 session, when campus carry was introduced, only ~100 of the 800+ Baylor faculty signed a petition opposing campus carry, and last semester, the student senate voted to allow campus carry (later vetoed by the senate president).

However, like you, I remain leery. If SB 11 becomes law, I have a feeling BU will opt out.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Jason K
Banned
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am
Location: Close to Waco....but not too close.

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Jason K » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 pm

oohrah wrote:Jason, do you have a reference?

During the 2013 session, when campus carry was introduced, only ~100 of the 800+ Baylor faculty signed a petition opposing campus carry, and last semester, the student senate voted to allow campus carry (later vetoed by the senate president).

However, like you, I remain leery. If SB 11 becomes law, I have a feeling BU will opt out.


Go with that feeling.....
http://m.wacotrib.com/opinion/letters_t ... l?mode=jqm

EDITOR’S NOTE: Mr. Burleson is associate dean for undergraduate studies of the College of Arts and Sciences and senior lecturer in religion at Baylor University where he teaches world religions.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: Bd. of Regents Should Have No Say in Campus-Carry

Postby Deltaboy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 am

I agree they should have no say. We had guns on campus back in the 1980's and folks forget it was students at Texas that had their deer rifles in their dorms and fought back against the Texas Tower shooter.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.


Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest