New Article: Holster Requirements for Open-Carry

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: New Article: Holster Requirements for Open-Carry

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Maxwell wrote:Jeez! What it takes to get a pistol out of the VM2 in the right direction is tough enough. Someone trying to pull it out from behind it just going to give me a wedgie... :eek6

OK, seriously: Great article Charles.

Max
You're right about a VMII! In order to "snatch" it from behind, someone is going to need a double-jointed elbow and I haven't seen any of those yet.

Chas.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Regarding:
The bottom line: It is unlikely that the Texas Legislature is going to remain silent on how a handgun can be carried openly, if for no other reason than the need to pacify some legislators who fear Texans walking around with guns in their hands or simply shoved into their waistband. If the manner of carry is included in Texas law, then it should be limited to requiring the use of a “holster, scabbard, or other similar device to hold the handgun.”
There have been occasions (not in Texas) where I was walking through an isolated downtown parking garage late at night, where I had my handgun in my right hand, discreetly down at my side. Or walking down a dark isolated alley at night on my way to where I parked my car. The urban creatures were unaware of the handgun, but I was certainly aware of them.

There are times when I think it can be reasonable for someone to have a bit of extra caution, and the gun already in hand helps the OODA curve.

I'd hate like heck to find myself arrested for public display of a handgun not in a proper holster for a circumstance where drawing was simply being cautious. How many times will police enter a deserted warehouse or building with guns drawn? Why do they do so . . . it is obvious that they feel if better readies them for the unexpected. We should expect that an ordinary law-abiding licensee should have no less common sense and judgment, especially in light of a 2 decade track record demonstrating same.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Maxwell wrote:Jeez! What it takes to get a pistol out of the VM2 in the right direction is tough enough. Someone trying to pull it out from behind it just going to give me a wedgie... :eek6

Max
I have no idea what a VM2 is but that was hilarious.
III

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rbwhatever1 wrote:

Max
I have no idea what a VM2 is but that was hilarious.
Versa Max 2 holster
http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

With a few slightly different threads on this subject going on, I have a concern. At present, I do not own a holster with two points of restraint. I thought my Blackhawk Serpas were, but am not so sure. I think they are only level 1. Therefore, if I would like to OC I will have to buy another holster or holsters, depending on which gun I would carry. I've been considering checking out a safariland holster and have looked at level 2 models and am not too thrilled. However, I guess with practice I could become as good as I am now or better, but jeez, I'm no Jerry Miculek. So far, I'm not liking the idea of requiring two points of retention.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

That is a really good looking 1911 holster. Makes my Kydex IWB look like crap.

Cant believe I don't have one...yet
III

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My kydex holsters aren't pretty and neither are my Glocks, but they can put holes in things just as easily as a 1911 and more of them.

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

Good read. Just leave it at a holster for open carry.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K5GU »

..and everyone drawing from a holster, especially one with retention points, remember..PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE !
Life is good.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

C-dub wrote:My kydex holsters aren't pretty and neither are my Glocks, but they can put holes in things just as easily as a 1911 and more of them.
If your holster is putting holes in stuff, you probably need a different holster.... :headscratch

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

rbwhatever1 wrote:That is a really good looking 1911 holster. Makes my Kydex IWB look like crap.

Cant believe I don't have one...yet
Get one! You'll never look back! And Leather doesn't wear a hole in your pants like Kydex does.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”