New Article: Stop Posting Unenforceable 30.06 Signs

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Article: Stop Posting Unenforceable 30.06 Signs

Post by oohrah »

It sounds like C-dub's situation is similar to the FTW Bass Hall setup. A private vendor that is hired to serve alcohol has a 51% license and everywhere inside the fence is covered by the license.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

Instead of all this "nashing of teeth," we need to get behind changing the law so that a LTC person can carry everywhere a police officer can.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

MeMelYup wrote:Instead of all this "nashing of teeth," we need to get behind changing the law so that a LTC person can carry everywhere a police officer can.
Allowing everyone to carry wherever and whenever is not going to solve issues with cities playing by their own rules. There's a massive difference between a LEO and a CHL holder.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:Instead of all this "nashing of teeth," we need to get behind changing the law so that a LTC person can carry everywhere a police officer can.
Allowing everyone to carry wherever and whenever is not going to solve issues with cities playing by their own rules. There's a massive difference between a LEO and a CHL holder.
Yes there is. A CHL holder does not write speeding tickets, de-escilate family problems, be called to bank robberies, etc. a CHL should still be able to carry most everywhere with the exception of secure areas (airports, police holding areas, prisons, court rooms, etc., which should all have facilities for securing visitors firearms. CHL's should be able to carry at 51% locations if you are not drinking, at schools, and anywhere else not classified as a secure location.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

MeMelYup wrote:Yes there is. A CHL holder does not write speeding tickets, de-escilate family problems, be called to bank robberies, etc. a CHL should still be able to carry most everywhere with the exception of secure areas (airports, police holding areas, prisons, court rooms, etc., which should all have facilities for securing visitors firearms. CHL's should be able to carry at 51% locations if you are not drinking, at schools, and anywhere else not classified as a secure location.
:iagree:

CHL holders have a track record even cleaner than the average LEO, yet we are still forced to disarm in a number of places. That means we are also disarmed on the way to & from those places, and the firearm has a higher chance of being stolen because it's in the car (in a lock box, hopefully).
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

Taypo wrote:
Yes true. Legally a LEO can carry while intoxicated (though might get fired) and is exempt from 30.05, 30.06, and 30.07 as related to firearms. So much for "private property" rights.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Yes true. Legally a LEO can carry while intoxicated (though might get fired) and is exempt from 30.05, 30.06, and 30.07 as related to firearms. So much for "private property" rights.

I assure you that if a LEO carries and gets drunk and the brass gets wind of it he won't be in LE much longer.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

nightmare69 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:

I assure you that if a LEO carries and gets drunk and the brass gets wind of it he won't be in LE much longer.
What if he's "undercover" and Scarface makes him snort coke just to prove he's not a cop? :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Perhaps, this question has already been answered, but I don't recall reading it.

My question: If a city location has posted an unenforceable 30.06 sign and you walk in carrying, discovered to be carrying, will you be liable for breaking the law?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Perhaps, this question has already been answered, but I don't recall reading it.

My question: If a city location has posted an unenforceable 30.06 sign and you walk in carrying, discovered to be carrying, will you be liable for breaking the law?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote:Perhaps, this question has already been answered, but I don't recall reading it.

No, because the law specifically states that it doesn't apply to government owned/leased locations.
PC §30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED
HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2) received notice that:
(A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was
forbidden; or
(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and
failed to depart.
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which
the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity
and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited
from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

ScottDLS,

Right you are, (I hope I don't sound argumentative) but what are the odds many LEO's are not well informed regarding the most current law 30.06 sign on municipal locations...?

Of course, this probably isn't a question that can be answered easily, but it would be appreciated if some of our LE folk here on the board would address this question.

I hope this lack (potentially) of their not knowing the latest regarding 30.06 signs being posted where they don't belong turn into one of those situations about beating the rap, but not beating the ride...

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote:ScottDLS,

Right you are, (I hope I don't sound argumentative) but what are the odds many LEO's are not well informed regarding the most current law 30.06 sign on municipal locations...?

Of course, this probably isn't a question that can be answered easily, but it would be appreciated if some of our LE folk here on the board would address this question.

I hope this lack (potentially) of their not knowing the latest regarding 30.06 signs being posted where they don't belong turn into one of those situations about beating the rap, but not beating the ride...
This exception to 30.06 has been in place for over 12 years, so one would assume that LEO's have had sufficient time to learn about it. But I suppose you can be arrested for anything, even if it isn't illegal... Like carrying a handgun WITH a CHL. It's been 20 years, but maybe some LEO still out there that hasn't heard.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

You would beat the rap but not the ride. Honestly, if you comply and be respectful even if the LEO doesn't know the fine points of TPC 30.06, I doubt you would be arrested. I'm sure he would call his supervisor and get it cleared up. If you act like an OCT jerk to the officer, 95 times 1 in route to the county jail.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”