Let's Really Protect Our Schools

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Let's Really Protect Our Schools

Post by locke_n_load »

So under the law now, for a teacher to carry in a school, they just need their LTC and permission from the school/district right? The school safety program is just an additional certification they can get if they or the school wanted or required them to have it, right?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

locke_n_load wrote:So under the law now, for a teacher to carry in a school, they just need their LTC and permission from the school/district right? The school safety program is just an additional certification they can get if they or the school wanted or required them to have it, right?
That is correct.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

locke_n_load wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:I am a licensed Level 3 Commissioned Security Guard, Level 4 Personal Protection Officer (Body Guard) and the Executive Officer of a Security Company, and a LTC holder.

I say let's do it.

Whatever it takes... require retention holsters, not allow OC, require to pass a MMPI psych test like a Level 4 bodyguard has to, but let's open up law abiding citizens to be able to carry in all schools one way or another.

You might also add an exemption for a licensed Level 4 since they have done a psych eval already. Just a thought.
Make the requirements too stringent, and you won't have many volunteers. Just a thought.
Yeah, that’s true. You’re right.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I agree, I think that all should be taught and tested so that they know what would be expected of them. I know a lot of folks that were paid to carry firearms but they do not even know how to properly clean theirs. Proven experience should be accounted for, but only after it has been proven and demonstrated, but it should not become an exemption for training.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:So under the law now, for a teacher to carry in a school, they just need their LTC and permission from the school/district right? The school safety program is just an additional certification they can get if they or the school wanted or required them to have it, right?
Correct, but if the person is providing any function that comes within the Private Security Act, then the volunteer must comply with the Act. The purpose of my bill is to extend the exemption to schools and not just churches.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

When I mentioned military veterans and former police officers, I was talking about a potential group of volunteers. I'm not going into details about the bill, but I'm not about to include unnecessary and problematic "eligibility" requirements to be exempt from the Private Security Act. There are no such eligibility requirement for volunteer church security personnel and there hasn't been a single problem. Please don't play into the hands of the opposition by creating an issue/problem where none exists.

Chas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm certainly in favor of Charles' proposal, but the likelihood of school districts welcoming armed volunteers is, I'm betting, miniscule.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'm certainly in favor of Charles' proposal, but the likelihood of school districts welcoming armed volunteers is, I'm betting, miniscule.
Maybe so, but with this legislation in place you can beat the school districts over the head with it next time some psycho shoots up a school, the parents of the victims can sue the district for failing to take protective meaures!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

Since Shannon Watts from Coloraqdo, who runs a group funded out of NewYork by a man wanting to run EveryTown posted a link to this thread, I'll just leave these right here

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/964857008498364416

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/964914880607326210
Last edited by NotRPB on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'm certainly in favor of Charles' proposal, but the likelihood of school districts welcoming armed volunteers is, I'm betting, miniscule.
We protect our banks, celebrities, and politicians with guns. We protect our children with… signs.
Promise reluctant school board members opposition in their next election.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

1911 Raptor wrote:
I agree as well but I think the problem will be parents. It’s funny (not really) that parents will have no problem walking in and doing business at banks, courts, malls, or anywhere else that has armed security without so much as a wimper. Hey put armed security in outlet schools to protect our most precious resource and they completely come unhinged.

Just read comments on articles about the recent shooting. These folks actually think and believe that the continued failed policies regarding guns in schools needs to be expanded to combat the problem. Most parents and others just become irrational when it comes to schools and guns. Unless guns are used to protect money or objects they can’t see the forest for the trees when it comes to schools. They don’t understand the Sheepdog and view it as a threat instead of the good guy. I feel there will need to be a significant effort on educating the public about why security is needed to protect our most precious resource much in the same way that we protect banks from getting robbed. It will be an uphill battle but it is one I fully support.
Parents who are unwilling to help protect their children with armed guards at school are indoctrinated sheep and need to be bluntly dealt with by using the tools of the left, “Why do you want our children unprotected and murdered by madmen?” “Why do you hate your children?” “You’re deplorable and unredeemable for clinging to false belief that signs protect your children from harm.”
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treeman

Post by treeman »

I feel fortunate that the school I work for moved to allow some to carry concealed weapons over 3 years ago. We are not a huge school (slightly over 1000 total students), but our location is rural with the potential for a 10 to 15 minute wait for law enforcement help. They paid for a 2 day defensive handgun course for all that would be allowed to carry. After carrying for a year, I took another 8 hour course. Every time one of these school (or church) shootings happen, I shudder, but it helps focus me on how ready we need to be.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

That will be addressed in the bill. As I said earlier, politics and personal opinions will not be elevated above protecting schools/kids.

Chas.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Do you have to be a school employee (as I am not) to take the Texas School Safety Course?

If not, does anyone have a link to sign up for the course around Austin/Georgetown?

Thanks in advance.
TSRA Life Memeber

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”