Sub2k Sub2000 folding concealed rifle

Know of a good deal? Let your fellow Members know about it.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 25

Re: Sub2k Sub2000 folding concealed rifle

Post by The Annoyed Man »

NotRPB wrote:Getting a bit off topic here ...

I carry what I carry where legal. If something is disallowed by law, I carry something which is legal.

Purpose of Original Post is to share with y'all a GOOD PRICE, about $200 less than I paid for one on KelTec sub2000 sub2k if you want one ...
Yep. Off topic. Y'all do what you want. I know what I'm going to do, and a Sub-2000 in a briefcase will lawfully circumvent most situations in which a 30.06/.07 sign bars me from entering with my handgun. That's what I am going to do. In situations where it is unequivocal that I cannot enter armed, I simply won't enter. End of story. The rest of you do whatever you are going to do.

The lone exceptions are for when I have to enter a federal building, like I had to do in early December to attend an appointment with the IRS, as it wasn't something I could handle online or by phone (a matter of identity theft involving my income tax returns). Otherwise, as a retired person, the list of places I HAVE to visit, where ALL firearms are prohibited, is an extremely short list.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Have you fed your new baby any JHP"s and if so, how well did they perform?

goose
Posts in topic: 4

Post by goose »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Oh boy, you guys......I took mine to Elm Fork for its baptism of fire today, and I had about as much fun as I've had with pants on in a real long time! The Sub-2000 in 9mm is an absolute hoot to shoot.
Sweet! It feels like a toy that behaves like a firearm! Or that is how I grin when I shoot mine. Oh look, I have this thing that is a Frankenstein-esq cross between some gunfighter's folding contraption and a storm trooper blaster. AND it shoots!
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:TAM,

Not yet, although I plan to. My sense is that it will probably swallow them just fine. After all, it feeds from a Glock magazine, and the feeding mechanism is very straightforward. I need to buy some for that purpose.
goose wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Sweet! It feels like a toy that behaves like a firearm! Or that is how I grin when I shoot mine. Oh look, I have this thing that is a Frankenstein-esq cross between some gunfighter's folding contraption and a storm trooper blaster. AND it shoots!
You've about nailed it right on the head. It's a toy. It's a gun. It's a guntoy. It's a legitimate self-defense weapon. It's all of those things.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

Saw a twin of TAM's at the new range in North Richland Hills today. Total Shooting Sports had it for $499.

The Annoyed Man

G26ster wrote:Saw a twin of TAM's at the new range in North Richland Hills today. Total Shooting Sports had it for $499.
That's $80 more than I paid for mine. :shock:

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:Saw a twin of TAM's at the new range in North Richland Hills today. Total Shooting Sports had it for $499.
That's $80 more than I paid for mine. :shock:
Wasn't commenting on a good price, just local availability.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 12

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:TAM,

I have shot several full magazines of Hornady American Shooter 9mm +P 124 Gr XTP through my Sub2K with no issues. This is what I keep loaded in all of my Glock mags for use in the Sub2k.
Additionally fired a magazine of Federal HST LE 9mm through it with no issues, as well as different FMJ brands.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Well, I got the MI optic mount and Primary Arms RDS mounted, and I have to say, it works pretty well!

Carbine, folded, with optic mounted:

Carbine, folded, with optic swiveled out of the way:

Carbine, unfolded, with optic still swiveled out of the way:

Carbine, unfolded, with optic deployed:

What you see:

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 13

Post by NotRPB »

TAM,
THANK YOU for those Pics!!!
After carrying with bolt open and hearing it release as I set my laptop case down once on a hospital floor, I too tied back my bolt but in a much, much more complicated way. I was thinking of grinding out a J-hooked type area of the tube the bolt goes into so it'd be harder for it to go forward without being pulled back over that area, and decided to not mess with it, I figured on having to use my knife to cut my paracord ...
I'll be emulating your method in a few minutes.

The Annoyed Man

NotRPB wrote:TAM,
THANK YOU for those Pics!!!
After carrying with bolt open and hearing it release as I set my laptop case down once on a hospital floor, I too tied back my bolt but in a much, much more complicated way. I was thinking of grinding out a J-hooked type area of the tube the bolt goes into so it'd be harder for it to go forward without being pulled back over that area, and decided to not mess with it, I figured on having to use my knife to cut my paracord ...
I'll be emulating your method in a few minutes.
You're welcome! The piece of paracord came with the Midwest Industries mount.

ONE THING!!!! IF YOU DO THIS with the same kind of optic mount I have here, the directions in the MAC video (below) and on the Midwest Industries website say to ease the bolt forward with the loop in place, to let the charging handle stretch out the looped and knotted paracord you've made. You may have to tighten it up for it to be useful with the optic. I SAY remember to do this with the optic swiveled out of the way first! I didn't, and the charging handle fetched the front of the optic a nice hard whack! I was crestfallen. Plus, it was dang hard with the charging handle resting against the front of the optic to get it pulled back and locked again. What I did was pull it back just far enough, using the paracord to pull on it, to swivel the sight out of the way so that I could get my hand around knob and pull it all the way back and lock it. Fortunately, it whacked the optic and hit the end of the cord at the same moment. I had the rubber lens caps in place, and so nothing got hurt. Phew! But I did retie the knots after the cord had been stretched, so that it can't go that far forward again with the loop over the charging handle.

#TINVOWOOT

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

TAM, you are having more fun than is legal with your new acquisition.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

DanD

Post by DanD »

Hi TAM,

How well does the MI optic mount hold zero? I've read some reports that some folks were having issues with the mount holding zero. I was going to go with a QD mount and just remove the optic before folding up the rifle.

From your pictures, it looks like you got one of the updated Gen 2's that has the updated front sight design that uses a jam/lock nut to hold the sight. The previous design used a set-screw that simply did not hold the front sight well enough. Kel-Tec is still in the process of updating their website to show the updated Gen 2 sight but some pictures of the set-screw version still exist.

The updated Gen 2 front sight that uses the jam/lock nut also addresses the suppressor alignment issue that resulted in baffle strikes.

I'm glade Kel-Tec keeps improving the Sub-2000 Gen 2 to address issues.

Does your Sub-2000 have a trigger with sharp edges? I know Kel-Tec was also working on that issue but I have not heard if the fix made it into production yet.
Last edited by DanD on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

DanD

Post by DanD »

If your Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Gen 2 is shooting low even though you have the front sight bottomed out here is most likely the cause and how to fix it.

In the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Gen 2 manual on page 11 for Sight Adjustment, you need to tighten the screw that is labeled "Notice: Do not tamper with or loosen this screw" shown in the image at the top of the page. It's the red screw shown in the images at the bottom of page 11.

On my Sub-2000, this screw was very loose and after tightening it I was finally able to get the elevation properly adjust and get the rifle sighted in.

The manual still shows the older Sub-2000 Gen 2 sight that uses a set screw. The updated front sight now uses a jam/locking nut to hold the sight in place.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

The Annoyed Man

DanD, I haven't used the optic at a range yet......just mounted it yesterday, less than an hour before putting up that post, so I don't have any idea if zero will shift. In their video review of the mount, MAC had no issues with it. What he DID say was that you won't be using it for long range use. I believe him, being myself an experienced long range shooter. But the optic feels as solidly mounted as any optic would be when mounted to a polymer rail, which necessarily includes some amount of Flex — whether or not you're using an M-Lok mount like mine, or a QD mount like yours. The fact is, that unless you're willing to use one of the very ignorant end QD mounts like a BOBRO (which I do use on my ARs and SCAR 17), most QD mounts do not have a return to zero that is all that good. The system I'm using on this carbine is adequate for the distances I might use this carbine at.....which will of course confirm on my next range trip. If I were involved in a situation that required greater accuracy at greater ranges, I would be using one of my rifles more suitable for that kind of use. I am 100% confident of hitting a man-sized target with the BUIS at 25 yards, 99% confidence at confident at 50 yards, and about 85-90% confident at 100 yards..... which is really at the practical limits of the platform. But.....the BUIS are a little too low on the gun for ease of use. The optic places an aiming device at roughly the same height above the bore as an equivalent optic on an AR15, so it is much more comfortable.

When I shot the carbine at the 25 yard line with the BUIS sights at the factory setting, the POI was considerably left and somewhat low of the POA. When I adjusted the windage to correct, the POA not only moved to the horizontal center, but it came up a small amount. I didn't adjust front sight for elevation at the time because I had neglected to bring a front sight tool with me. I will make that adjustment on my next range trip.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Commercial Vendor Bargains and Deal”