Cheap Red Dot Test - Impressed me enough to try one

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 16

Cheap Red Dot Test - Impressed me enough to try one

Post by puma guy »

I don't normally trust cheap Chinese products, but I have to admit this one intrigued me enough to order one from Amazon for $22.99. The Fieldsport D007R was given a pretty good beating and wet test in the attached video. I ordered one for my S&W M&P 15-22. I ordered a UTG MT RSX8S mount ($9.99)for it as well. Another video review w/o shooting showed the mount co-witnessed the red dot sight so we shall see. The mount shipping is delayed until December. I used my Amazon Smile with a contribution to the NRA so at the very least the NRA will profit a little. (I know not the most effective way to make a donation) I don't know if I have a mount around to use for my 15-22 or not; if I find one I'll try to get it mounted and try it out sooner than the UTG arrives. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer nor Amazon. The video notes the sight for under $20 but must be dated since they're 23 bucks now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Ej1unT0mQ
Last edited by puma guy on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cheap Red Dot Test - Impressed me enough to try one

Post by jb2012 »

On a .22lr why not? I probably wouldn't put one on a defensive weapon, but I'd try one on a .22!

rotor

Post by rotor »

I put one of those TruGlo from WalMart on a Browning pistol for my grandson. Broke the mounting screw tightening it down. Emailed them and new one sent right away. Has worked great for years.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I have a T1 micro knock-off on one of my guns. The dot isn't as crisp but it has functioned well with not problems at all...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jb2012 wrote:On a .22lr why not? I probably wouldn't put one on a defensive weapon, but I'd try one on a .22!
That was my thinking, exactly. The video review is a centerfire AR; I assume .223/5.56mm

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:I don't normally trust cheap Chinese products, but I have to admit this one intrigued me enough to order one from Amazon for $22.99. The Fieldsport MT RSX8S was given a pretty good beating and wet test in the attached video. I ordered one for my S&W M&P 15-22. I ordered a UTG mount ($9.99)for it as well. Another video review w/o shooting showed the mount co-witnessed the red dot sight so we shall see. The mount shipping is delayed until December. I used my Amazon Smile with a contribution to the NRA so at the very least the NRA will profit a little. (I know not the most effective way to make a donation) I don't know if I have a mount around to use for my 15-22 or not; if I find one I'll try to get it mounted and try it out sooner than the UTG arrives. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer nor Amazon. The video notes the sight for under $20 but must be dated since they're 23 bucks now.

Thanks for the post. Now that 22LR is becoming more available I have been thinking about buying an inexpensive plinker.
I was wondering if this would be good for a Ruger 10/22.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

.22LR is becoming more available? That's news to me. I haven't seen any in months.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:.22LR is becoming more available? That's news to me. I haven't seen any in months.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... y#p1111650

I also bought two Buckets O' Bullets from Palmetto Armory.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oh, I haven't tried getting 22 online. I just check Wally World when ever I'm there for groceries or something.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:.22LR is becoming more available? That's news to me. I haven't seen any in months.
C-dub,
The Academy and Wal Mart stores in the SE Houston area have plenty. Academy is stocking it on gondola shelving and end caps. I haven't been in the DFW area for a month or so but I found it at the Mansfield Wal-Mart and the one at IH 20 and SH 281.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:I don't normally trust cheap Chinese products, but I have to admit this one intrigued me enough to order one from Amazon for $22.99. The Fieldsport MT RSX8S was given a pretty good beating and wet test in the attached video. I ordered one for my S&W M&P 15-22. I ordered a UTG mount ($9.99)for it as well. Another video review w/o shooting showed the mount co-witnessed the red dot sight so we shall see. The mount shipping is delayed until December. I used my Amazon Smile with a contribution to the NRA so at the very least the NRA will profit a little. (I know not the most effective way to make a donation) I don't know if I have a mount around to use for my 15-22 or not; if I find one I'll try to get it mounted and try it out sooner than the UTG arrives. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer nor Amazon. The video notes the sight for under $20 but must be dated since they're 23 bucks now.

Thanks for the post. Now that 22LR is becoming more available I have been thinking about buying an inexpensive plinker.
I was wondering if this would be good for a Ruger 10/22.
I would think it would be a great addition. Here's a guy that put a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot on his. The Ruger has just about any after market parts/accessories/optic and sight choices one could imagine. They came out when I was selling guns and I always thought I'd buy one but never got around to getting one. Maybe my next .22 fetish could be satisfied with one. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch61qGLIlj8

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

puma guy wrote:
C-dub,
The Academy and Wal Mart stores in the SE Houston area have plenty. Academy is stocking it on gondola shelving and end caps. I haven't been in the DFW area for a month or so but I found it at the Mansfield Wal-Mart and the one at IH 20 and SH 281.
Well, I suspect that the "rumors" about walmart staff notifying their "friends" when shipments come in might be happening.

Now, back on topic. I also put a less expensive Sight Mark red dot on mine before getting an EoTech. Yeah, mine is still working just fine. However, if it ever starts to go south I have my eye on one of those ACOGs. The Sight Mark ended up on the M&P 15-22 and still works great after 2-3 years.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
puma guy wrote:
C-dub,
Well, I suspect that the "rumors" about walmart staff notifying their "friends" when shipments come in might be happening.

Now, back on topic. I also put a less expensive Sight Mark red dot on mine before getting an EoTech. Yeah, mine is still working just fine. However, if it ever starts to go south I have my eye on one of those ACOGs. The Sight Mark ended up on the M&P 15-22 and still works great after 2-3 years.
I have not spent much money on red dots. The most I've spent was for a Bushnell TRS-25 and I put out only a modest amount on a Primary Arms sight. My center fire rifle scopes and my binoculars are a different thing entirely. While I don't buy the extreme high end I do have Ziess, B&L Elite and upper end Leupold & Nikon glass on various long guns.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

I bought a cheap micro red-dot a few years ago from CTD. It all but fell apart immediately, so I returned it. Since then i have been looking for something like this that wasn't junk. Order 2 just now, thanks for the heads-up.

Now I need some thing inexpensive in a eotech clone
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'll probably try this one out before too long... for $23 it can't hurt to try!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”