Accidental exposure bill

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Accidental exposure bill

Post by Jasonw560 »

NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Accidental exposure bill

Post by baldeagle »

That looks like a "cleanup" bill, adjusting the language so it's more clear what a violation is.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

That's how I see it, too.

But, it's still a step in the right direction, and the language is fairly clear.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

Interesting thanks
changes things in our favor in a couple situations I can think of, for 1 example: a few fellows behind the church house Sunday after Church intentionally displaying/showing each other what they picked up Saturday Gun Show by opening the box on a brand new whatever for example is not "in a manner calculated to cause alarm" even though the gun is no longer concealed in the box and was intentionally unconcealed.

As well as clearing up accidental exposure for anyone who didn't understand it wasn't a crime before.

And, in a place where open carry was not calculated to cause alarm ...
The First Open Carry Church of Saint SmithnWesson
Cash n OpenCarry Store
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

So where else in the code does it say it is an offense if the weapon is not concealed? Seems to me with these changes a person could open carry a firearm as long as it was not intentionally displayed the in plain view of another person in a public place in a manner calculated to cause alarm.
Would carrying a holstered firearm on the hip be displaying in a manner calculated to cause alarm?
Last edited by jmra on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

AEA

Post by AEA »

This Act takes effect September 1, 2003 ??????

Cleanup on isle 299! :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

This may be a big step towards what I've been looking. I'm in the business of selling insurance. I don't see myself carrying openly on a day to day basis as I go about meeting with clients, prospects, carrier reps and lunch appointments. However, I struggle with entering and exiting my vehicle and exposing my gun as I remove my suit coat or sport coat to hang it in the backseat. I also struggle with getting out to pump gas and other quick things such as that. Have you ever seen a guy get out of his truck and put on a sport coat to pump gas. If so, there's a good chance that was me. My other options that I employ are to remove the gun before getting out of the car to pump gas or to tuck my shirt in over my gun. However, I'd prefer to just wear it on the outside of my dress shirt and under my coat.

This bill may elevate my issue if passed. Your thoughts?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Y'all are missing the bigger change

Delete language making it an exception to intentional failure to conceal ONLY if justified by PC 9 to use DEADLY force.

Adds language justifying intentional unconceal if justified to use force or threat of force in PC 9

This basically removed the old truism "Don't pull it if you're not justified to shoot it."

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:This may be a big step towards what I've been looking. I'm in the business of selling insurance. I don't see myself carrying openly on a day to day basis as I go about meeting with clients, prospects, carrier reps and lunch appointments. However, I struggle with entering and exiting my vehicle and exposing my gun as I remove my suit coat or sport coat to hang it in the backseat. I also struggle with getting out to pump gas and other quick things such as that. Have you ever seen a guy get out of his truck and put on a sport coat to pump gas. If so, there's a good chance that was me. My other options that I employ are to remove the gun before getting out of the car to pump gas or to tuck my shirt in over my gun. However, I'd prefer to just wear it on the outside of my dress shirt and under my coat.

This bill may elevate my issue if passed. Your thoughts?
:iagree:
Per my earlier post, it seems to me a holstered weapon would be perfectly fine. Especially if most of the weapon is concealed by the holster.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

AEA wrote:This Act takes effect September 1, 2003 ??????

Cleanup on isle 299! :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
It's just a clean-up bill. Changing the wording where they did would carry the "footer" saying when it was added and revised.

dicion
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dicion »

Actually, I read this as essentially CHL Open Carry.... masquerading as a clean up bill. I like it!

Let me explain, by using Long guns as an example.
Currently, Long guns are not prohibited from being carried openly, we all know this.
The only 'carry-related' crime you can commit, openly carrying a long gun in a public place, is what is sometimes referred to as 'Brandishing' by some, but is actually known as "Disorderly Conduct"
(This doesn't include threatening someone, shooting someone or shooting in general, just walking around carrying a long arm)

Code: Select all

Sec. 42.01.  DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8)  displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
The wording look familiar?
If the above bill passes, the standards under which Open Carry is allowed for Long guns, would be mirrored verbatim for exposure of Handguns by CHLs.
Essentially, CHL Open Carry.
Last edited by dicion on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

These days, the mere "mention" or "hint" of a firearm is seen as alarming by many. I think the bill could be worded differently.

jmra

Post by jmra »

dicion wrote:Actually, I read this as essentially CHL Open Carry.... masquerading as a clean up bill. I like it!

Currently, Long guns are not prohibited from being carried openly, we all know this.
The only 'carry-related' crime you can commit, openly carrying a firearm in a public place, is what is sometimes referred to as 'Brandishing' by some, but is actually known as "Disorderly Conduct"

Sec. 42.01.  DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8)  displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
If the above bill passes, the standards under which Open Carry are allowed for Long guns, would be mirrored verbatim for exposure of Handguns by CHLs.
This is the way I read it. I'm not sure I like it though.
If this passes and people start to OC in stores and other places where CC is not currently an issue (because no one sees anything) business owners will receive complaints from customers and the owners will inquire as to how they can prohibit this activity. Up goes 30.06 signs and then CC is affected where it was not before.
If we are going to have OC, we need to do it correctly where it is not tied to 30.06 in any way whatsoever.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

dicion
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dicion »

jmra wrote:
dicion wrote:Actually, I read this as essentially CHL Open Carry.... masquerading as a clean up bill. I like it!

The only 'carry-related' crime you can commit, openly carrying a firearm in a public place, is what is sometimes referred to as 'Brandishing' by some, but is actually known as "Disorderly Conduct"

If the above bill passes, the standards under which Open Carry are allowed for Long guns, would be mirrored verbatim for exposure of Handguns by CHLs.
This is the way I read it. I'm not sure I like it though.
If this passes and people start to OC in stores and other places where CC is not currently an issue (because no one sees anything) business owners will receive complaints from customers and the owners will inquire as to how they can prohibit this activity. Up goes 30.06 signs and then CC is affected where it was not before.
If we are going to have OC, we need to do it correctly where it is not tied to 30.06 in any way whatsoever.
But this only allows open carry by CHL holders. How many of them do you think are going to suddenly go out causing 30.06 signs to go up.
I'd like to think that it would be nowhere near as bad as universal, unlicensed open carry would be, as most would probably stick to CC, and this would be more used as protection than used as Open Carry.
I'd like to think that we can trust ourselves to not sabotage... ourselves.

jmra

Post by jmra »

G26ster wrote:These days, the mere "mention" or "hint" of a firearm is seen as alarming by many. I think the bill could be worded differently.
I don't like the way it is worded either. But, it does not say it is an offense to alarm people . It says it is an offense to intentionally display in a manner calculated to alarm. I don't see how a holstered weapon could possibly be displayed in a manner calculated to alarm.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”