HB 1298 and 1299

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 1

HB 1298 and 1299

Post by Jasonw560 »

Filed today.

HB 1298 relates to CC at school sponsored functions and on the buses.

HB 1299 relates to prohibiting municipalities from making local laws against carrying knives, pepper spray, or stun guns.

I would link, but it's a pain on my phone.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Douva
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 1298 and 1299

Post by Douva »

HB 1298 relating to the carrying of concealed handguns by certain license holders on certain locations associated with a public or private school or educational institution.

HB 1299 relating to municipal regulation of electric stun guns, knives, and personal defense sprays.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I strongly recommend NOT weighing in on HB1298 at this time. I cannot say more now.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I strongly recommend NOT weighing in on HB1298 at this time. I cannot say more now.

Chas.
:thumbs2: I hear this loud & clear. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I strongly recommend NOT weighing in on HB1298 at this time. I cannot say more now.

Chas.
10-4

croc870

Post by croc870 »

ILA is asking people to contact legislators with support now.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

So HB 1298 would make it legal to carry at a location where a school is having a field trip (eg. zoo, aquarium, etc.) provided that the CHL holder is not participating in the field trip? That's a step in the right direction, but it seems like an awfully small step. Am I missing something?

Douva

Post by Douva »

TrueFlog wrote:So HB 1298 would make it legal to carry at a location where a school is having a field trip (eg. zoo, aquarium, etc.) provided that the CHL holder is not participating in the field trip? That's a step in the right direction, but it seems like an awfully small step. Am I missing something?
The more-sweeping proposals tend to get the media coverage, but it's often the smaller measures that actually succeed in effecting positive change. Baby steps toward a more-uniform penal code are, at the very least, steps in the right direction.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TrueFlog wrote:So HB 1298 would make it legal to carry at a location where a school is having a field trip (eg. zoo, aquarium, etc.) provided that the CHL holder is not participating in the field trip? That's a step in the right direction, but it seems like an awfully small step. Am I missing something?
It already is legal.

Chas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
It already is legal.

Chas.
Yep. Did one of these :banghead: when I read the bill.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

Isn't that why they claim to put 30.06 signs at zoo's? "For school functions."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

MeMelYup wrote:Isn't that why they claim to put 30.06 signs at zoo's? "For school functions."
I don't know of any zoos that continue to do this now, but that was the case in the past. The claim was bogus. I agree that the code should be amended, not to change current law, but to clarify current law so that intellectually dishonest people cannot continue to intimidate CHL's. HB1298 in its current form is not the way to go about it. Look for a committee substitute.

Chas.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:Isn't that why they claim to put 30.06 signs at zoo's? "For school functions."
I don't know of any zoos that continue to do this now, but that was the case in the past. The claim was bogus. I agree that the code should be amended, not to change current law, but to clarify current law so that intellectually dishonest people cannot continue to intimidate CHL's. HB1298 in its current form is not the way to go about it. Look for a committee substitute.

Chas.
The last time I was at the Dallas Zoo it was properly posted 30.06 (well, not properly because its owned by the city, but the sign was correct verbiage and size). I just carried past because I knew it wasn't valid. Admittedly, that was a bit over a year ago.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I don't think I understand what the purpose of 1298 is? I have taken my son to museums when 'in walks a school trip" :roll: I certainly don't walk out to my car and disarm... I've also gone to places where a trip is already there, there has been no sign, what are they talking about????
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Douva

Post by Douva »

SewTexas wrote:I don't think I understand what the purpose of 1298 is? I have taken my son to museums when 'in walks a school trip" :roll: I certainly don't walk out to my car and disarm... I've also gone to places where a trip is already there, there has been no sign, what are they talking about????
PC Sec. 46.03(a)(1) [emphasis added]:
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
The wording of the law is ambiguous, to say the least. Charles has made the case that, due to context, this law could not be enforced against someone on non-school property; however, that is not what DPS is currently teaching new instructors, and in turn, that is not what a lot of new instructors are teaching their students. Equally troubling is the fact that the managers of certain public venues have used this law as an excuse to improperly post 30.06 signs on the premises.

PC Sec. 46.03(a)(1) is a poorly worded law that causes unneeded confusion, and it needs to be clarified.
Last edited by Douva on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”