HB48: No renewal class required

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Do you support HB48 that removes the requirement to take CHL renewal course?

I support HB48 and I am not a CHL Instructor
73%
I support HB48 and I am a CHL Instructor
6%
I oppose HB48 and I am not a CHL Instructor
16%
I oppose HB48 and I am a CHL Instructor
4%

Total votes: 228

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB48: No renewal class required

Post by howdy »

They have really removed the requirement for Instructors to requal as in the past. We now take a written test for one renewal and a written test and shoot for the next renewal. You would hope that Instructors would keep up with the law but the written test is pretty simple. I also teach CPR courses and I can't believe that even Instructors who teach Instructors aren't up to date on the new procedures.

I would vote for an online test like the Instructors take. It would require the person doing the renewal to at least quickly review the current law.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

C-dub wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
FL450 wrote:how would this affect future reprocity agreements?
I don't know for sure, but unlike lowering the number of hours, deleting the renewal class entirely probably will have a negative impact on reciprocity. Any states that require our law to be equal to or more stringent than their law may cancel reciprocity with Texas.

Chas.
That's what I was going to ask. After this question was asked and answered in the other thread regarding the reduction in class time, it seemed like it might be relevant in this thread about the deletion of renewals.
Yeah, the reciprocity loss would be very bad, indeed. And I am certain that Mr. Cotton is correct about the negative impact. On that aspect, I guess I'd be a no, because I like being able to travel a bit and not have to worry that my Texas CHL won't be accepted (at least in the "Free States" :mrgreen: ).

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Frankie wrote:I don't have to take a driving test every time I renew my DL. So why do I have to take a class to renew my CHL?
To me, it's about individual responsibility. Want to carry a gun? Know the law even if you have to do your own research (that is the point of this site.).
Anyone who says “they need to prove they can still qualify” again, individual responsibility. I know ammo is hard to come by these days but we still need to practice with our weapon.
1 million class hours will not lower anyone’s responsibility if they ever have to use their weapon to take someone’s life. It’s going to come down to justified or not justified as determined by the laws and the court.
One class to get your license the first time, after that, it's up to the individual to keep up with the law and qualified to use their preferred firearm. Just like a driver’s license.

Just my .02 and it's probably worth about 1/2 that.
Agreed. Of course, I would also support requiring no class for the initial CHL - or better yet, no CHL at all (i.e. Constitutional Carry). Anything that reduces the barrier to exercising a Constitutional right is a good thing. There are plenty of instructors who would offer optional classes for those who want them.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
I don't know for sure, but unlike lowering the number of hours, deleting the renewal class entirely probably will have a negative impact on reciprocity. Any states that require our law to be equal to or more stringent than their law may cancel reciprocity with Texas.

Chas.
This would be only concern with eliminating the renewal requirement.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Florida doesn't require a renewal class. That doesn't seem to hurt their reciprocity.

lrpettit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lrpettit »

Perhaps if you're a member of this forum no renewal class is necessary? :cheers2:
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

I am a true believer in personal accountability. After the initial class it should be up to the individual to stay current. Let DPS send out a mailer every two years detailing any changes in the law. There's nothing preventing anyone who feels the need for additional education from attending a class.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

apostate wrote:Florida doesn't require a renewal class. That doesn't seem to hurt their reciprocity.
Florida doesn't require ANY class or any test. Nearly any firearms training class is sufficient, same as Arizona.

Florida Statute:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 90.06.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ErnieP

Post by ErnieP »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I would be against anything that would significantly reduce reciprocity. It is very comforting to know how many states we can go to and carry.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

lrpettit wrote:Perhaps if you're a member of this forum no renewal class is necessary? :cheers2:

:iagree:

like it!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

RoyGBiv wrote:
apostate wrote:Florida doesn't require a renewal class. That doesn't seem to hurt their reciprocity.
Florida doesn't require ANY class or any test. Nearly any firearms training class is sufficient, same as Arizona.
Thats a great point. Florida has reciprocity with every state worth visiting and didn't have to impose excessive training to do it.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

lrpettit wrote:Perhaps if you're a member of this forum no renewal class is necessary? :cheers2:

Yes but the real question is, will there be a min post count before you're called a "member" :leaving

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Frankie wrote:

Yes but the real question is, will there be a min post count before you're called a "member" :leaving
I can't answer until you get a higher post count. :evil2:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

thechl

Post by thechl »

I know what you mean.
;-)

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I would like to see it the same as for retired peace officers. They do not need to take a class to continue to carry, but must pass a requal every two years in Texas (one year for federal carry under LEOSA).
Steve Rothstein

Wes

Post by Wes »

ErnieP wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I would be against anything that would significantly reduce reciprocity. It is very comforting to know how many states we can go to and carry.
Agreed
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”