Reason for Optimism?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Reason for Optimism?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I hate the phrase "guardedly optimistic" because it's so over used, but it applies to my feelings at this time. Many people, me included, were very concerned about the appointment of an El Paso Democrat, Joe Pickett, as Chairman of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee. It appeared to play into the hands of liberal, anti-gun Democrats because that is the most important House committee for gun owners in Texas.

So why am I feeling better about major bills this session? In spite of tremendous pressure from within his own Party in Texas and elsewhere, Chairman Pickett scheduled public hearings on two high profile, emotionally charged bills and he did it earlier than in last session. I'm speaking of campus-carry and open-carry bills. We also expect those bills to be voted on in a timely fashion, i.e. one week after the hearings. If the votes occur as we have been led to believe, then there is every reason to believe the House will not be an impediment to passing pro-gun bills. That said, this isn't my first rodeo and only time will tell, but again, I'm "guardedly optimistic."

Chas.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reason for Optimism?

Post by jmra »

Good to hear. Much better than I was anticipating.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I hate the phrase "guardedly optimistic" because it's so over used, but it applies to my feelings at this time. Many people, me included, were very concerned about the appointment of an El Paso Democrat, Joe Pickett, as Chairman of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee. It appeared to play into the hands of liberal, anti-gun Democrats because that is the most important House committee for gun owners in Texas.

So why am I feeling better about major bills this session? In spite of tremendous pressure from within his own Party in Texas and elsewhere, Chairman Pickett scheduled public hearings on two high profile, emotionally charged bills and he did it earlier than in last session. I'm speaking of campus-carry and open-carry bills. We also expect votes on those bills to be voted on in a timely fashion, i.e. one week after the hearings. If the votes occur as we have been led to believe, then there is every reason to believe the House will not be an impediment to passing pro-gun bills. That said, this isn't my first rodeo and only time will tell, but again, I'm "guardedly optimistic."

Chas.
Keeping my fingers crossed. :smile:

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MadMonkey »

Good to hear! :cheers2:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Even if they clear committee, The Calendars Committee is the death valley for bills.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Thank for the glimmer of hope, Charles. I didn't have one before, based on all of the circumstances of this session.

Thank you again for all that you do for the citizens of Texas and especially those of us in the CHL community.

Charlie
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jmra

Post by jmra »

dac1842 wrote:Even if they clear committee, The Calendars Committee is the death valley for bills.
Are you a glass half empty kinda guy by any chance?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dac1842 wrote:Even if they clear committee, The Calendars Committee is the death valley for bills.
You're right and the makeup of the Calendars Committee is worrisome. That's why we all need to remember: viewtopic.php?f=125&t=62468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is also why I said "only time will tell."

Chas.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I hate the phrase "guardedly optimistic" because it's so over used, but it applies to my feelings at this time. Many people, me included, were very concerned about the appointment of an El Paso Democrat, Joe Pickett, as Chairman of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee. It appeared to play into the hands of liberal, anti-gun Democrats because that is the most important House committee for gun owners in Texas.

So why am I feeling better about major bills this session? In spite of tremendous pressure from within his own Party in Texas and elsewhere, Chairman Pickett scheduled public hearings on two high profile, emotionally charged bills and he did it earlier than in last session. I'm speaking of campus-carry and open-carry bills. We also expect those bills to be voted on in a timely fashion, i.e. one week after the hearings. If the votes occur as we have been led to believe, then there is every reason to believe the House will not be an impediment to passing pro-gun bills. That said, this isn't my first rodeo and only time will tell, but only again, I'm "guardedly optimistic."

Chas.
I'm curious - If we do get these two bills to the floor for a vote, do we have enough votes to get them passed in both chambers? I know Campus Carry has majority support, but I don't know where most legislators stand on Open Carry.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

TrueFlog wrote:

So why am I feeling better about major bills this session? In spite of tremendous pressure from within his own Party in Texas and elsewhere, Chairman Pickett scheduled public hearings on two high profile, emotionally charged bills and he did it earlier than in last session. I'm speaking of campus-carry and open-carry bills. We also expect those bills to be voted on in a timely fashion, i.e. one week after the hearings. If the votes occur as we have been led to believe, then there is every reason to believe the House will not be an impediment to passing pro-gun bills. That said, this isn't my first rodeo and only time will tell, but only again, I'm "guardedly optimistic."

Chas.
I'm curious - If we do get these two bills to the floor for a vote, do we have enough votes to get them passed in both chambers? I know Campus Carry has majority support, but I don't know where most legislators stand on Open Carry.
I'm hoping that if we can't get open carry done, then at least get campus Carry done because of baby steps. To be truthful, I want Campus carry more than I want open carry (if I had to choose).I hate disarming. I also wish employers couldn't prohibit C.C. for employees but its their right to do so. =( I'd love to carry at work simply so I wouldn't have to disarm. :txflag:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

TREKFAN wrote:
TrueFlog wrote:

Chas.
I'm hoping that if we can't get open carry done, then at least get campus Carry done because of baby steps. To be truthful, I want Campus carry more than I want open carry (if I had to choose).I hate disarming. I also wish employers couldn't prohibit C.C. for employees but its their right to do so. =( I'd love to carry at work simply so I wouldn't have to disarm. :txflag:

My Company has a written no weapons policy but I was told during my orientation that concealed means concealed. The problem that I have is we do a LOT of work on the bases in San Antonio so even without a company policy I'd have to leave it at home anyways.
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TrueFlog wrote:

Chas.
Campus-carry has widespread support in the House and Senate and it will pass both bodies, if we can get it to the floor. Gov. Perry wants to sign the bill, so the only hurdle is getting it to the floor. Remember, we need 21 votes in the Senate to bring it up for debate and voting. It died in the Senate last session because a Senator broke his word to Sen. Wentworth and we didn't have 21 votes.

I do not know about the support for open-carry. TSRA and NRA are supporting Rep. Lavender's CSHB700 but it's not "our" bill so I don't know how the votes line up.

Chas.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Why is it that Democrats even get appointed to chair committees? Hasn't the Texas House been majority Republican for some time? I always thought the committee make-up was in proportion to the party in charge, and that the committee chairs were members of the majority party? At least that's how it is in Washington - why is Texas different?

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Scott Farkus wrote:
Why is it that Democrats even get appointed to chair committees? Hasn't the Texas House been majority Republican for some time? I always thought the committee make-up was in proportion to the party in charge, and that the committee chairs were members of the majority party? At least that's how it is in Washington - why is Texas different?
You need to look at this. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=62468

In addition to controlling the bills, Speaker Strauss also controls the committee chair positions. In many ways, he has more power than the Governor. You are correct that the party in power should be in control but Strauss has formed a coalition of some GOP and Democrats to keep HIM in power. He has to reward the contributing Dems for their support of him.

Until a different Speaker is elected, it is going to be the same thing over and over and over. The Republicans control the Texas House in name only. Strauss marches to his own drummer.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I am too hoping to get Campus Carry passed. I work at UH main campus and almost weekly we get reports of robberies and other crimes. I got to talk with Steve Hall (TSRA) at the 2013 Shot Show and was well please for the support of a Campus Carry bill.
Thank you Steve.
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”