Rally Behind HB3218

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rally Behind HB3218

Post by JJVP »

mojo84 wrote:Wish this one was the one that was passed out of committee.
That bill is no good. It will not change anything regarding campus carry. The law as it stands today allows colleges to allow concealed carry if they want, but none does. The new law will allow colleges to opt out, and most likely all will opt out. Bottom line, no change from today, no campus carry.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

That's why I posted I wish HB3218 was the one that was passed out of committee.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I see that HB 3218 is scheduled for public hearing on 18-April. Good news.!!
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB3218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a brief handshake and chat with my local House rep last night and after I thanked him for sponsoring HB 706 (campus carry) I asked him to lend his name and support to HB 3218. He wasn't aware of this bill so I gave him the brief synopses and he said he'd look into it. I mentioned that Mr. Springers name was looking pretty lonely at the top of the Bill. He got a chuckle out of that. Hopefully it made it a bit more memorable. I'll call his office on Monday to follow up.

Unfortunately I am not able to travel to Austin on Thursday to attend the public meeting....
Please consider helping to pack the hall if you can make the trip. Of all the 2A bills this session, this is THE one I'm most excited about.

:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

lrpettit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lrpettit »

RoyGBiv wrote:I see that HB 3218 is scheduled for public hearing on 18-April. Good news.!!
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB3218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a brief handshake and chat with my local House rep last night and after I thanked him for sponsoring HB 706 (campus carry) I asked him to lend his name and support to HB 3218. He wasn't aware of this bill so I gave him the brief synopses and he said he'd look into it. I mentioned that Mr. Springers name was looking pretty lonely at the top of the Bill. He got a chuckle out of that. Hopefully it made it a bit more memorable. I'll call his office on Monday to follow up.

Unfortunately I am not able to travel to Austin on Thursday to attend the public meeting....
Please consider helping to pack the hall if you can make the trip. Of all the 2A bills this session, this is THE one I'm most excited about.

:tiphat:
How much difference does it really make if people are in the hall? Is it worthwhile taking a day off of work? :headscratch
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

lrpettit wrote:
How much difference does it really make if people are in the hall? Is it worthwhile taking a day off of work? :headscratch
Let me paint three different scenarios for you:

Hall is packed with 100 people, 85 speak in favor of HB3218, 15 are against

Hall is packed with 100 people, 15 speak in favor of HB3218, 85 are against

Hall has 15 people, all of whom speak against HB3218

Which one would you want to see happening?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

lrpettit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lrpettit »

RHenriksen wrote:
lrpettit wrote:
Let me paint three different scenarios for you:

Hall is packed with 100 people, 85 speak in favor of HB3218, 15 are against

Hall is packed with 100 people, 15 speak in favor of HB3218, 85 are against

Hall has 15 people, all of whom speak against HB3218

Which one would you want to see happening?
I'm a novice to this? Do we need to request to speak ahead of time? Do we know what time the hearing is?
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

lrpettit wrote:I'm a novice to this? Do we need to request to speak ahead of time? Do we know what time the hearing is?
If you click the link I posted above, you'll get to the main page for the bill...
Then click the committee link...
Then on the committee page click the "meetings" link (towards the bottom)
Then locate the meeting date and pull up the hearing notice/agenda.

Here's the agenda for the 18th. Looks like a 2 hour meeting starting at 8:AM, and HB3218 is scheduled towards the end of the session.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 808001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASE attend if at all possible. :txflag:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

bump

Natesac

Post by Natesac »

Wow, very nice work Charles. I'm a little late to the game on this one, however I'm ON IT!

I'd love to see the crime statistics comparing CHL's to Texas law enforcement. Great stuff. Keep it up guys. Calling my rep now.
Springfield XDm 9mmC
Crossbreed super tuck

tornado

Post by tornado »

Natesac wrote:Wow, very nice work Charles. I'm a little late to the game on this one, however I'm ON IT!

I'd love to see the crime statistics comparing CHL's to Texas law enforcement. Great stuff. Keep it up guys. Calling my rep now.
"Texas CHLs are almost sixteen times less likely to commit a crime than is the general public and seven times less likely to commit a crime as are Texas peace officers."

Source: https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ry-conduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (aka, the first post in this thread :mrgreen: )

(Unless you were asking for specifics, which Mr. Cotton has said in other discussions that he doesn't want to provide because they could be misused to attack LEOs, IIRC.)

Natesac

Post by Natesac »

tornado wrote:
Natesac wrote:Wow, very nice work Charles. I'm a little late to the game on this one, however I'm ON IT!

"Texas CHLs are almost sixteen times less likely to commit a crime than is the general public and seven times less likely to commit a crime as are Texas peace officers."

Source: https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ry-conduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (aka, the first post in this thread :mrgreen: )

(Unless you were asking for specifics, which Mr. Cotton has said in other discussions that he doesn't want to provide because they could be misused to attack LEOs, IIRC.)

Indeed I was looking for more specific numbers relating to CHL's, Law enforcement officers, and crime. I understand if that information is too sensitive to post or link. I was just curious.
Springfield XDm 9mmC
Crossbreed super tuck

tornado

Post by tornado »

More in-depth info in this long thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

2318 is up. Is it me, or does what he's readin show someone doesn't understand things like government meetings and other places not prohibited unless posted?? I guess it may be moot or maybe not. I just hope it's not going the way I kind of think it is, which doesn't appear to be what the bill is....maybe. :rules:

Maybe I need to just keep listening...... :headscratch

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Ok, Charles is making sense for them. :mrgreen:

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”