Gun Day for old folks

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 2

Gun Day for old folks

Post by 2firfun50 »

Could someone please provide a Cliff Notes version of what really happened Saturday?

Like:

1. What bills are on their way to the Governor?
2. What bills on on their way to the Senate?
3. What are likely to be sent to the Governor?
4. What are on life support? and
5. What are probably DOA.

I must admit my inability to comprehend the political gibberish.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Day for old folks

Post by JKTex »

If you're not a member of TSRA at least sign up for the email and you'll get this below. Also this https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... tus-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saturday's Calendar Advances

Saturday, May 4th, with Texas Speaker of the House Joe Straus in the chair, HB 972 by Rep. Fletcher, fended off multiple points of order to advance in the legislative process. Perfecting amendments were added thanks to Rep. George Lavender (R-Texarkana), Rep. Phil King (R-Weatherford), and Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt (R-Lexington).

HB 972 by Rep. Allen Fletcher (R-Tomball) would allow personal protection on Texas College and University campuses.
Other bills successfully moving on yesterday's House Calendar include:

HB 47 by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van) would lower the required number of hours for the initial CHL theory course, not including the range proficiency time, and make the license more available for busy, working Texans.

HB 508 by Rep. Ryan Guillen (D-Rio Grande City) would place financial sanctions on governmental entities such as cities, counties, and others for the improper, unenforceable posting of the PC 30.06 sign in inappropriate locations and refusing to remove such signs.

HB 698 by Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster) would make available digital fingerprinting in sparsely populated rural counties, for Texans who require such services to obtain a Texas CHL. Digital fingerprints and their transmission would still be a requirement. The lack of service continues to be a serious problem for rural Texans.

HB 1304 by Rep. Kenneth Sheets (R-Dallas) clarifies in statute for CHLs the unintentional display of a firearm.

HB 1421 by Rep. Charles Perry (R-Lubbock) would allow firearms confiscated by law enforcement and not returnable to a rightful owner to be sold at a public sale to a person with a federal firearms license. The funds would return to that law enforcement agency.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

2firfun50 wrote:Could someone please provide a Cliff Notes version of what really happened Saturday?

Like:

1. What bills are on their way to the Governor?
None.
2firfun50 wrote:2. What bills on on their way to the Senate?
HB 48 Relating to the procedure under which a person may renew a license to carry a concealed handgun.

HB 485 Relating to the amount of the fee paid by certain peace officers and veterans of the United States armed forces for a license to carry a concealed handgun; authorizing a fee.

HB 508 Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

HB 698 Relating to certain procedures for submitting legible and classifiable fingerprints with an application for a license to carry a concealed handgun.

HB 801 Relating to the discharge of a firearm across the property line of a school.

HB 972 Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the premises of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education.

HB 1009 Relating to the creation of a new category of law enforcement officer who shall be designated a school marshal, the training and appointment of certain employees of a school district or open-enrollment charter school as school marshals, and the rights, restrictions, limitations, and responsibilities of school marshals; authorizing the imposition of a fee.

HB 1349 Relating to information that may be requested by the Department of Public Safety from a person applying for or renewing a concealed handgun license.

HB 1421 Relating to the disposition of certain seized weapons.
2firfun50 wrote:3. What are likely to be sent to the Governor?
I'm not going to speculate.
2firfun50 wrote:4. What are on life support? and
Ditto
2firfun50 wrote:5. What are probably DOA.
Looks like the OC bill is and possibly HB 3218, which expands where we could carry.
2firfun50 wrote:I must admit my inability to comprehend the political gibberish.
That's OK. Politicians don't understand it either.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Thanks guys, so if i"m getting this right, SB299 is only 1 house vote from the Governor.

Jeff Barriault

Post by Jeff Barriault »

2firfun50 wrote:Thanks guys, so if i"m getting this right, SB299 is only 1 house vote from the Governor.
No, SB299 passed on third reading today and is on the way to the Governor!

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

SB 864 also passed the House and is headed to the Governor. So we now have 6 hours of classroom instruction for new applicants and online instruction for renewals. Woo hoo!
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

4copas

Post by 4copas »

baldeagle wrote:SB 864 also passed the House and is headed to the Governor. So we now have 6 hours of classroom instruction for new applicants and online instruction for renewals. Woo hoo!
So are you saying there is no actual class time for a renewal? Just go online and do it?
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

4copas wrote:
baldeagle wrote:SB 864 also passed the House and is headed to the Governor. So we now have 6 hours of classroom instruction for new applicants and online instruction for renewals. Woo hoo!
So are you saying there is no actual class time for a renewal? Just go online and do it?
There won't be when the Gov signs it and it goes into effect Sept. 1.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Nice!! My renewal will be in Feb. 2014. I second the Woo hoo, and raise it a YEA! Lets get to signing.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

How will the range qualification be handled for renewals? Or, has that been eliminated?

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

G26ster wrote:How will the range qualification be handled for renewals? Or, has that been eliminated?
No, you'll still have to do the range quals. I'm not sure how that will work out. I assume you'll have to integrate with a class of new applicants and pay the range fees and an instructor fee. Maybe one of the instructors on the board could express their thoughts.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Question/Quote:

"So are you saying there is no actual class time for a renewal? Just go online and do it?

There won't be when the Gov signs it and it goes into effect Sept. 1. "

Quote: "I assume you'll have to integrate with a class of new applicants and pay the range fees and an instructor fee. Maybe one of the instructors on the board could express their thoughts."

--------------------------------

I've followed the legislative processes with these things for over 20 years - and once again will make the analogy to the last couple of laps of a NASCAR race. There is a whole lot going on and it ain't over til it's over, evaluated, judged and final determinations made. The online class thing has been an option for DPS for a few years now. But ... with them typically taking until January of the following year just to get the new CHL-16 put up online, I will be truly amazed if they adopt online class for renewals and get it operational by Sept. 1. Again, without most of us being in Austin just now, it's pure speculation at this point how things will shake out, but what I am seeing, if DPS does not get er done, renewal and original license students possibly doing the same 4+ hour course.

Edited to add: From the vesrsion that I think is on the way to the Governor: "(j) For license holders seeking to renew their licenses, the [The] department may offer online, or allow a qualified handgun instructor to offer online, the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency [continuing education instruction] course and the written section of the proficiency examination [required to renew a license]."

Big difference between "may offer" and "shall offer". :rules:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”