Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CJD
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Support HB972 - not a dud!

Post by CJD »

baldeagle wrote:So it's no longer illegal but they can still prohibit it. And as an employee I could be fired for violating policy. And that's called progress? {{{sigh}}} My gun still stays in the car, and I'm not better off than I was before this law was passed (if indeed it is passed.)
Why would you leave it in the car? Under what circumstances would they ever know you had it, unless you had to use it (better that you had it) or you get stopped by police on campus (not illegal so unless they report you to the university, which I don't see why they would because it's none of their business) then you should be fine.

Bladed
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Bladed »

baldeagle wrote:So it's no longer illegal but they can still prohibit it. And as an employee I could be fired for violating policy. And that's called progress? {{{sigh}}} My gun still stays in the car, and I'm not better off than I was before this law was passed (if indeed it is passed.)
The fact that this bill won't solve all of your problems doesn't mean its not a step in the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day.

There is a lot of good stuff in CSHB 972, and it would put us a lot closer to ultimately passing comprehensive campus carry.

We must be careful not to make the perfect the enemy of the good. If on December 31, carrying in a campus building is a felony, and a student CHL holder can be expelled for keeping a handgun in his or her car, but on January 1, carrying in a campus building is not a crime, and a student CHL holder cannot be expelled for keeping a handgun in his or her car, I call that progress.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

Bladed wrote:
The fact that this bill won't solve all of your problems doesn't mean its not a step in the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day.

There is a lot of good stuff in CSHB 972, and it would put us a lot closer to ultimately passing comprehensive campus carry.

We must be careful not to make the perfect the enemy of the good. If on December 31, carrying in a campus building is a felony, and a student CHL holder can be expelled for keeping a handgun in his or her car, but on January 1, carrying in a campus building is not a crime, and a student CHL holder cannot be expelled for keeping a handgun in his or her car, I call that progress.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

CJD wrote:
Why would you leave it in the car? Under what circumstances would they ever know you had it, unless you had to use it (better that you had it) or you get stopped by police on campus (not illegal so unless they report you to the university, which I don't see why they would because it's none of their business) then you should be fine.
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable giving someone this type of advice. Deciding to jeopardize one's career/livelihood is a very serious, very personal decision.

On one hand, you have the possibility that you might need a handgun for self-defense. On the other hand, you have the possibility that a coworker might spot your handgun and report you. That's a decision not to be taken lightly.

Also, I wouldn't assume that campus police won't be instructed to report anyone caught on campus with a firearm. At most major universities, the campus police work for the university.

CJD

Post by CJD »

Bladed wrote:
CJD wrote:
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable giving someone this type of advice. Deciding to jeopardize one's career/livelihood is a very serious, very personal decision.

On one hand, you have the possibility that you might need a handgun for self-defense. On the other hand, you have the possibility that a coworker might spot your handgun and report you. That's a decision not to be taken lightly.

Also, I wouldn't assume that campus police won't be instructed to report anyone caught on campus with a firearm. At most major universities, the campus police work for the university.
Fair enough. And it is a personal decision, I guess I was just saying that's what I would do. If it wasn't illegal I'd carry at A&M right now, even risking expulsion.

NEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NEB »

Honestly, there is a difference in being expelled and getting fired. It's easier to get someone to take your money than it is to convince someone to give you some.

As a faculty member (you can probably guess where), it is frustrating to not be able to carry. This bill might allow me to do so within the confines of the law, but the penalties for getting "caught" would be pretty prohibitive. That's a really tough call to make.

--NEB

CJD

Post by CJD »

NEB wrote:Honestly, there is a difference in being expelled and getting fired. It's easier to get someone to take your money than it is to convince someone to give you some.

As a faculty member (you can probably guess where), it is frustrating to not be able to carry. This bill might allow me to do so within the confines of the law, but the penalties for getting "caught" would be pretty prohibitive. That's a really tough call to make.

--NEB
True. My thoughts are this: some say it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6, but the situation about which we are speaking is even less severe, so the choice should be even more apparent. That is only if you buy into the first statement, however.

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jaguar »

If this passes and makes it so carry is not against the law, yet against university policy, staff and students will be in the same boat as thousands, if not tens of thousands other Texans who work in places where company policy prohibits carry but the business is not posted 30.06 so anyone can walk in carrying.

Present company included. :tiphat:

It is better than being against the law IMHO.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

CJD

Post by CJD »

:iagree:

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 19

Post by J.R.@A&M »

NEB wrote:Honestly, there is a difference in being expelled and getting fired. It's easier to get someone to take your money than it is to convince someone to give you some.

--NEB
Look at this this way, NEB. When you come to College Station, you could carry in A&M buildings, just like I could in Texas Tech buildings. Now how's that for an ironic twist? Matter of fact I would make a POINT of carrying the next time I visit the Tech campus.

More generally, the ability of visiting CHLs carrying in university buildings could dilute the opposition's argument about violating the "sanctity" of "gun free" campus buildings.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Post by terryg »

Jaguar wrote:If this passes and makes it so carry is not against the law, yet against university policy, staff and students will be in the same boat as thousands, if not tens of thousands other Texans who work in places where company policy prohibits carry but the business is not posted 30.06 so anyone can walk in carrying.

Present company included. :tiphat:

:iagree: :iagree: This is it exactly.

And, I have only forgotten I was still armed when entering my office one time in 15+ years. I had stopped by the store on the way in and so entered the parking lot from a different direction. Somehow that threw my routine off and I forgot to lock it up. Anyway, for those few minuets until I got back to the car, I was committing a felony ... with this bill I would just be breaking company policy.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 19

Post by J.R.@A&M »

HB 972 has been referred to Senate Criminal Justice Committee. D5 Freshman Senator Schwertner is a member (and my Senator) so I have acquired my political sight picture.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Post by terryg »

Members of Senate Committee on Criminal Justice:

Chair: John Whitmire (512) 463-0115
Vice-Chair: Joan Huffman (512) 463-0117

John Carona (512) 463-0116
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (512) 463-0107
José Rodríguez (512) 463-0129
Charles Schwertner (512) 463-0105

Taken from: http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senat ... 0/c590.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is now the time to call and write?
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/camp ... ate/nXkkn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CJD

Post by CJD »

Hopefully this is true, and he'll give it the chance it deserves!

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”