Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

Post by terryg »

From our friends at Texas Gun Sense Facebook page:
Today, HB 972 (campus carry) passed out of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee on a 4-2 vote (Huffman, Carona, Patrick, Schwertner in favor; Whitmire and Rodriguez opposed; Hinojosa absent), despite overwhelming testimony from students, faculty, and Virginia Tech survivors. The bill would de-criminalize the carrying of firearms on college campuses in Texas, even for those universities that opt out.

Rumor has it that Governor Perry will add the bill to his special session call, putting it ahead of important issues like water and education funding.

In order to kill campus carry in a special session, we need sixteen Senate votes. We believe we have those sixteen votes. Our task now is to hold on to them. It is absolutely critical that you call your state senator every day. You can look him or her up here: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have time, please email john@gunfreeschools.org and volunteer to make some phone calls. We cannot beat this legislation without you.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work thus far.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

CJD wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Does this bill still need 21 votes to consider by the full senate (even though it was passed by the House)
Yes.

Chas.
Does this make it have a dim outlook?
Everyone needs to call their Senator and ask for them to vote to consider HB972 and to vote for it when it comes to the floor. They should also oppose any amendment that is not acceptable to the Senate sponsor.

Chas.

Hawk99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hawk99 »

Called Sen. Birdwell's office and the nice lady informed me he had sponsored a SB with similar language and was very supportive of 972. He was working to see it came up on the floor and was voted in.

Frank
Training and learning to survive this world while preparing for eternity.
NRA

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

I was puzzled to see that my senator, Whitmire, who sounded so skeptical of the anti-campus carry speakers in committee, still voted against HB972 in his committee. I've called his office to ask his to support it on the floor of the Senate.

I wonder if he knew there were enough R's to pass the bill out of committee, so voted against it to keep his 'D' in good standing?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

ELB

Post by ELB »

The last legislature stuck me with Zaffirini for a senator, thank you very much. :grumble I called anyway.
USAF 1982-2005

CJD
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CJD »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Whitmire just said this if HB 972 version doesn't pass, then "more than likely, if we're back in a special session, then the previous version will be presented."
Would it be better to wait because this could be true and we could get a better bill? Or better to try for 972 so at least we may get something? My gut tells me take what we can get, but it would be disappointing to settle when we could have a better bill.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Everyone needs to call their Senator and support HB972!

Chas.

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SherwoodForest »

Done -

Senator Wendy Davis -

I believe that HB 972 is a common sense approach to enabling Texas institutions of higher learning to make the determination of how to most effectively enhance the safety of faculty, and students on campuses. HB 972 will provide Texas colleges and universities with the option to implement policy that will establish an effective deterrence against anything like the Virginia Tech tragedy ever being repeated in Texas.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”