Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Support HB972 - not a dud!

Post by baldeagle »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Over the past couple of sessions, there have been recurring arguments that go something like this:

Pro-Campus Carry: "What are you campus carry opponents so riled up about? We've been carrying for years in the nearby movie theaters and grocery stores and you didn't care then."

Campus Carry Opponent: "No, campus buildings are special/sacred/etc. No guns on campus."

Pro-Campus Carry: "There have been guns on campus for a long time... It is legal for CHLs to carry on the sidewalks and school grounds. The line between the legal/unrestricted area and the campus building is arbitrary."

Campus Carry Opponent: "Campus buildings are special/sacred/etc. No guns on campus."

If HB 290 passes, it would be possible for non-staff, non-student CHL folks to legally carry in public university buildings, WITH NO RESTRICTION. Given that, I would carry at Texas Tech the next time I visit there, just to say that I did, and to establish a precedent to extend the above conversation:

Pro-Campus Carry: "There have been guns on campus for a long time... and now also in campus buildings since the 2013 session, and nothing bad happened. The line between the outside grounds and the campus building WAS arbitrary and meaningless after all."
Those are all fine and dandy, but my argument would be, the bad guys are carrying on campus now. Does Virginia Tech ring a bell? How about Shepherd University? Failing University of Arizona Nursing College? Appalachian School of Law? The University of Arkansas? San Diego State? And on and on and on and on. Only a fool would think that criminals will obey a sign that says Gun Free Zone. It's proven time and time again that they do not. So, by denying law abiding citizens the right to carry on your premises, what you do is make it easier for the criminals to commit their murders. That's not something I would be proud of. Nor would I want to continue it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Ace_Inthe_O
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

terryg wrote:Testimony tomorrow?

According to our opposition there will be:
https://www.facebook.com/txgunsense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/gunfreeschools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you haven't yet, please call senators now:

Members of Senate Committee on Criminal Justice:

Chair: John Whitmire (512) 463-0115
Vice-Chair: Joan Huffman (512) 463-0117

John Carona (512) 463-0116
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (512) 463-0107
José Rodríguez (512) 463-0129
Charles Schwertner (512) 463-0105
Just called Whitmire's office and the lady answering the phone thanked me for being so polite and told me there have been a lot of rude/irate callers this morning. I would hope it's the anti's but she wouldn't say either way.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 19

Post by J.R.@A&M »

baldeagle wrote:Those are all fine and dandy, but my argument would be, the bad guys are carrying on campus now. Does Virginia Tech ring a bell? How about Shepherd University? Failing University of Arizona Nursing College? Appalachian School of Law? The University of Arkansas? San Diego State? And on and on and on and on. Only a fool would think that criminals will obey a sign that says Gun Free Zone. It's proven time and time again that they do not. So, by denying law abiding citizens the right to carry on your premises, what you do is make it easier for the criminals to commit their murders. That's not something I would be proud of. Nor would I want to continue it.
No argument from me, BE. I definitely prefer having the state pre-empt university administrators, and I prefer not to wait another session or two for this to happen. But between HB 972 or nothing, I prefer this step. And I think it weakens their position, beginning with the position they took in Mid-March before the House committee hearings ("We're asking for local control." John Woods) OK, John, HB 972 provides for local control. I prefer state empowered concealed carry, but I'll take local control over statewide restriction.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

J.R.@A&M

Re: Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

Post by J.R.@A&M »

2:15 I am loving Whitmire's cross examination of the first opposing witness.

Editted to add... and the second opposition witness (the Baylor math prof).

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

J.R.@A&M wrote:2:15 I am loving Whitmire's cross examination of the first opposing witness.

that's great news! Wish I could listen in. Please do post however much running commentary you can, I'd love to be able to follow along.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The proponent witnesses all went first, with a notable performance from one [abbreviated profanity deleted] the UT students (the one bound for law school). He apparently made a strong impressions on Whitmire and Huffman.

The opposition Baylor prof got a lot of critique from Whitmire, Schwertner, Patrick, and one or two others. Wow.

The Senators are shooting back (pardon the pun) the typical "I would not feel safe" argument, and the "stress, anxiety, reduced safety." I think they have put the opposition witnesses back on their heels a bit.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

The prof of Math used a 1:000,000 odd for being shot in the a class was brought up as evidence against the math professor himself!

Odd to die in airlines is 1:20,000. 50X more than shot in a class! The teacher is still afraid to hand over his quizzes! :banghead: :banghead:

The professor made of himself a laughing stock like no other. A Total failure. Senators told him your emotions have been the same 18 yrs ago and till date none of whatever said 18 yrs ever happened.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

RHenriksen wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:2:15 I am loving Whitmire's cross examination of the first opposing witness.

that's great news! Wish I could listen in. Please do post however much running commentary you can, I'd love to be able to follow along.
+1 !
USAF 1982-2005

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

The UT biology professor is not faring much better than the Baylor math prof. But in her defense (:<>) the senators are not cutting her any slack.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

the streaming is junk!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Whitmire just said this if HB 972 version doesn't pass, then "more than likely, if we're back in a special session, then the previous version will be presented."

Really?!

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Wow!!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

A string of opposing comments based on I "feel this" or "think that".

Quite a few are alleging majority student opposition -- and yet here they are opposing a bill that gives local control.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

John Woods chastises Texas Legislature for not following Va Tech Review panel.

Schwertner interrupts to ask if/why Woods has a CHL. Woods says he got it for protection, but now realizes it is not a useful thing. A challenge from Whitmire about why folks carry in North Carolina.

Woods asserts that the reason for this bill is to sell more guns by the gun industry.

Edit: The guy that followed Woods is trying to be the Dali Lama.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Quite a few opposition folks for the record (not testifying). I think the final opposition witnesses are (a student counselor) and Texas Gun Nonsense rep is not a credit to his organization. Whitmire is politely wrapping him up.

Edited to summarize more typical non sequitur comments from another UT grad student citing opposition from campus police chiefs and fears of alcohol induced violence.

Sister of two CHL instructors supports the bill.

Perhaps the last witness. Idealistic father/grandfather/combat veteran who opposes the bill over fears of suicide, and who wants to live in a society wehre we don't have to carry guns. OK.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”