Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Update: Support HB972 - debate tomorrow (5/14)

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Reported back to whole Senate. 4 ayes, 2 no's, and the bill is reported back to the full senate with a favorable recommendation.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Reported back to whole Senate. 4 ayes, 2 no's, and the bill is reported back to the full senate with a favorable recommendation.
Excellent.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Post by terryg »

Woot!! Thanks for the play by play.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Support HB972 - not a dud!

Post by 2firfun50 »

Bladed wrote:
terryg wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:
“Bear in mind that under HB 972, as passed by the House, public colleges would not be able to give 30.06 notice, so there could be no charges for carrying on a public college campus unless you carried at a sporting event, bar, or primary/secondary school. This would be a huge step in the right direction.
Bear in mind that under HB 972, as passed by the House, public colleges would not Legally be able to give 30.06 notice
Now on to HB508 just in case they do post 30.06. We must have formal redress if/when they do.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Does this bill still need 21 votes to consider by the full senate (even though it was passed by the House)?

What about this business of it (and a stronger version of it) being a special session topic?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

So, what happened voted for full senate?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

terryg wrote:Woot!! Thanks for the play by play.
Yes, thanks.
USAF 1982-2005

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ELB wrote:
terryg wrote:Woot!! Thanks for the play by play.
Yes, thanks.
My pleasure. It was wonderful listening to Chairman Whitmire (mostly) with the supporting cast of GOP Senators basically beat up on the opposing arguments.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Here's my notes.

At the beginning of testimony Senator Whitmire said, "I don't think the testimony is going to change many people's minds. It might."

They missed an opportunity. One witness asked the Senators on the committee, what if they took away the metal detectors here at the capitol building? Would you feel safe then? (Referring to the fact that schools wouldn't have metal detectors.)

Not ONE Senator said, "Are you aware that CHL holders don't go through those metal detectors?"

A Math professor from Baylor, who claims he left Utah, in part, because they passed campus carry, said that when guns are used it's "a certainty" that lives would be lost. No it isn't. Almost 80% of people shot with a handgun survive.

Whitmire asked the female representative from Texas Gun Sense (gun control proponents) which of two bills she would choose; the current bill that is a watered down version? Or a stricter version that was a certainty to pass in a special session? Made me wonder what he knows that he isn't saying. He said, if you defeat this bill we're gonna have a special session and a stronger version with no opt-out will pass.

She said she would prefer neither bill. Whitmire said that's not an option. Which bill do you prefer? She stuck to her guns. (Pun intended.)

So I'm feeling pretty good that this bill will pass the Senate.

Along with HB 972, the committee also sent HB 485 and HB 698 to the floor, but HB 1349 was placed on pending. Whitmire said he wanted the whole committee to vote on it. (There were only five members there today.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Does this bill still need 21 votes to consider by the full senate (even though it was passed by the House)
Yes.

Chas.

CJD
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CJD »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Does this bill still need 21 votes to consider by the full senate (even though it was passed by the House)
Yes.

Chas.
Does this make it have a dim outlook?

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

baldeagle wrote:Here's my notes.
(big snip....)

Whitmire asked the female representative from Texas Gun Sense (gun control proponents) which of two bills she would choose; the current bill that is a watered down version? Or a stricter version that was a certainty to pass in a special session? Made me wonder what he knows that he isn't saying. He said, if you defeat this bill we're gonna have a special session and a stronger version with no opt-out will pass.

She said she would prefer neither bill. Whitmire said that's not an option. Which bill do you prefer? She stuck to her guns. (Pun intended.)

So I'm feeling pretty good that this bill will pass the Senate.

Along with HB 972, the committee also sent HB 485 and HB 698 to the floor, but HB 1349 was placed on pending. Whitmire said he wanted the whole committee to vote on it. (There were only five members there today.)

really? I thought a special session could only be about budget? interesting.....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ELB

Post by ELB »

SewTexas wrote:
really? I thought a special session could only be about budget? interesting.....
Only the Governor can call a special session (or "Called Session"), and he sets the agenda, not the legislature - they can take up only what he calls for. A special session lasts only 30 days max, but the Governor can call as many has he wants. There have been as many as six sessions. I think the budget is often an issue for the special sessions.
USAF 1982-2005

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

ELB wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
Only the Governor can call a special session (or "Called Session"), and he sets the agenda, not the legislature - they can take up only what he calls for. A special session lasts only 30 days max, but the Governor can call as many has he wants. There have been as many as six sessions. I think the budget is often an issue for the special sessions.

right, I knew the Gov called the sessions. I guess I was thinking it could only be about budget, I guess because that's what it's most often about. Thanks for the correct ELB. It does lead to what BaldEagle brought up....I wonder what Whitmire knows? sounds like Perry might really want some sort of campus carry?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”