HB 508, HB 928, HB 972, HB 1349 on the Senate Calendar today

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 16

HB 508, HB 928, HB 972, HB 1349 on the Senate Calendar today

Post by baldeagle »

Senator Patrick has a press conference 15 minutes before the session starts. I wonder if he's going to talk about HB 1314 and what went on on the Senate floor on Friday.

The Senate convenes at 10AM. Should be an interesting session. HB 1314 is also on the calendar, so two bills that should create fireworks; HB 972 and HB 1314.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 508, HB 928, HB 972, HB 1349 on the Senate Calendar t

Post by sugar land dave »

baldeagle wrote:Senator Patrick has a press conference 15 minutes before the session starts. I wonder if he's going to talk about HB 1314 and what went on on the Senate floor on Friday.

The Senate convenes at 10AM. Should be an interesting session. HB 1314 is also on the calendar, so two bills that should create fireworks; HB 972 and HB 1314.
Could someone give a one or two sentence summary of what occurred so those of us who are unaware may know what happened?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I'd be glad to. One thing about Texas politicians that irritates me is that the NEVER start anything on time.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Senator Patrick is announcing that the CSCOPE lesson plans are being abandoned. There will be no more lesson development under CSCOPE. Lesson plans will be developed at the local level rather than being done in a top down manner enforced by the state. SB 1406 is being pulled down, because the regional boards have agreed to abandon CSCOPE.

CJD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CJD »

sugar land dave wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Senator Patrick has a press conference 15 minutes before the session starts. I wonder if he's going to talk about HB 1314 and what went on on the Senate floor on Friday.

Could someone give a one or two sentence summary of what occurred so those of us who are unaware may know what happened?
Patrick introduced 1314, Whitmire spoke out against it for reasons that didn't make much sense(to me), and also criticized him for bringing up such a controversial bill so late in the day.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

HB 1349 just passed. 26 ayes, 5 nays

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Senate stands in recess until 2:30PM. Earlier the President asked Senator Patrick if he was ready on HB 508, but Patrick never answered publicly, and the bill was not brought up. Not sure what's going on there. The bill reads "Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty." Perhaps it has some of the same issues as HB 1314? Some seem concerned about having public employees liable to be arrested for breaking the law. HB 508 would assess a civil penalty of not less than $1000 and not more than $1500 for any government employee who tries to prohibit a CHL holder from entering a government property when it is legal for them to do so.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Called Sen Whitmore about HB972 and was told flat out by Tara there's no way he's going to support it.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RHenriksen wrote:Called Sen Whitmore about HB972 and was told flat out by Tara there's no way he's going to support it.
Whitmire is opposed to the opt-out provision. He wants a bill that mandates that public schools MUST allow CHL carry on campus. He said, in committee, that if HB 972 fails, a stronger bill WILL be passed in a special session. Since he's the Dean of the Senate, I take him at his word.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

That is definitely NOT the impression I got from his staffer
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RHenriksen wrote:That is definitely NOT the impression I got from his staffer
Eh, what do staffers know? Whitmire sponsored the campus carry bill last session. This session he let someone else sponsor it. I think he was unhappy with the way things went last session. As Committee Chair of the Criminal Justice committee, he stated publicly that if HB 972 did not pass this session a stronger bill would pass in a special session with different rules.

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=65962&hilit=special+session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See especially the last page.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

It was Wentworth last session, I thought.

I hope Whitmire is uncompromising for the sake of having a stronger campus carry bill. I also hope that's the reason he voted against HB 972 in the committee. I base that hope on him being the strongest vocal critic of the opponents of HB 972 in that hearing. I hope that's not all just wishful thinking on my part.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

J.R.@A&M wrote:It was Wentworth last session, I thought.

I hope Whitmire is uncompromising for the sake of having a stronger campus carry bill. I also hope that's the reason he voted against HB 972 in the committee. I base that hope on him being the strongest vocal critic of the opponents of HB 972 in that hearing. I hope that's not all just wishful thinking on my part.
You're right. It was Wentworth. Sorry.

hammer58
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hammer58 »

baldeagle wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:Called Sen Whitmore about HB972 and was told flat out by Tara there's no way he's going to support it.
Whitmire is opposed to the opt-out provision. He wants a bill that mandates that public schools MUST allow CHL carry on campus. He said, in committee, that if HB 972 fails, a stronger bill WILL be passed in a special session. Since he's the Dean of the Senate, I take him at his word.
If Whitmire wants a stronger bill on campus carry, why would he refuse to let SB182 out of committee? It seems to me that SB182 as originally presented would be exactly what he would want if he is opposed to the opt-out version.

I guess I am confused. I can't tell what Whitmire really wants.
Member - NRA, TSRA, TFC

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

hammer58 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
If Whitmire wants a stronger bill on campus carry, why would he refuse to let SB182 out of committee? It seems to me that SB182 as originally presented would be exactly what he would want if he is opposed to the opt-out version.

I guess I am confused. I can't tell what Whitmire really wants.
Neither can I.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”