HB 508, HB 928, HB 972, HB 1349 on the Senate Calendar today

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB 508, HB 928, HB 972, HB 1349 on the Senate Calendar t

Post by jmra »

croc870 wrote:The amendment would allow elected officials to essentially carry anywhere in Texas.
Can you provide a link to that information?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

croc870
Posts in topic: 2

Post by croc870 »

The first written item I could find was Birdwell's Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/BrianBirdwellF ... 7862384619

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 16

Post by baldeagle »

Senator Carona "amended" the bill by attaching a different bill to it. It passed, so now it becomes law, including the amendment, which grants elected officials special privileges they're not willing to give us. Since he's my Senator, he will definitely be hearing from me as soon as I have all the facts.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

artx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by artx »

baldeagle wrote:Senator Carona "amended" the bill by attaching a different bill to it. It passed, so now it becomes law, including the amendment, which grants elected officials special privileges they're not willing to give us. Since he's my Senator, he will definitely be hearing from me as soon as I have all the facts.
Not law yet- admendments are different between house and senate. Now we need the conference committee to agree on version, which is then approved by both chambers. I don't think the conference version has to go through committe or face the 21 vote senate rule.

Carona has also been a gun owners friend in the past. My suggestion is hold tight till conference is over. I wish I could see into the minds/inner workings of politicians....or maybe I don't :confused5

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

croc870 wrote:The first written item I could find was Birdwell's Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/BrianBirdwellF ... 7862384619

from the looks of his FB note Birdwell is not happy at all
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I wish amendments were not allowed without a separate vote for the amendment on a standalone basis.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

mojo84 wrote:I wish amendments were not allowed without a separate vote for the amendment on a standalone basis.
Amendments ARE voted on separately.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

baldeagle wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I wish amendments were not allowed without a separate vote for the amendment on a standalone basis.
So, the amendment was added to the bill via a vote of the house or senate? If so, who voted to add the amendment to the bill in order to give certain people the right to carry where others are not allowed?

baldeagle
Senator Carona "amended" the bill by attaching a different bill to it. It passed, so now it becomes law, including the amendment, which grants elected officials special privileges they're not willing to give us. Since he's my Senator, he will definitely be hearing from me as soon as I have all the facts.
Your comment hear makes it sound like the amendment was added by one Senator and not that the house or senate voted to add the amendment to the bill. Help me understand.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

21 votes are necessary to bring a bill to the floor of the Senate for debate. Then, only a simple majority is needed to pass. Some things are necessary to get 21 votes, so don't be too quick to condemn. While I applaud Sen. Birdwell's philosophical position, a vote against HB508 is a vote to allow cities and other units of local government to coerce, extort, intimidate and in some cases unlawfully arrest law-abiding CHLs. This must stop!

This special treatment of Senators and Representatives will be a very strong issue arguing for another HB3218-like bill in 2015. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it one bit, but we live in a political world and when one must accept distasteful amendments, you use them to your benefit next session.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Floor amendments are offered by only one Senator or Representative, then the body debates it and votes. If there is no objection to the amendment, then there is no debate or vote; it is adopted by acclamation.

Chas.
mojo84 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
So, the amendment was added to the bill via a vote of the house or senate? If so, who voted to add the amendment to the bill in order to give certain people the right to carry where others are not allowed?

baldeagle
Your comment hear makes it sound like the amendment was added by one Senator and not that the house or senate voted to add the amendment to the bill. Help me understand.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This special treatment of Senators and Representatives will be a very strong issue arguing for another HB3218-like bill in 2015. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it one bit, but we live in a political world and when one must accept distasteful amendments, you use them to your benefit next session.

Chas.
It's the sort of bill that leaves a very, very bad taste in my mouth; images of the Soviet politburo living in a separate world comes to mind.

However, I hope it will wind up being a very strong lever for a 2015 version of HB3218, as you say.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

mojo84 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:

baldeagle
Any Senator can offer an amendment to any bill. When the Senator does so, the President asks the Senator to explain the amendment. The author then may accept the amendment or reject it. In either case, the Senate then votes on the amendment. Generally, amendments that are acceptable to the author of the bill will pass, and amendments that are not acceptable to the author of the bill will fail. (There are exceptions, but they are infrequent except for controversial bills.) Once all amendments have been introduced, described, debated and voted on, the bill will then be voted on as amended (if it was successfully amended.)

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Thank you. It's still frustrating that what I consider a bad or unnecessary amendment can be added to an otherwise worthy bill. I would like to see it stand on its own just as the original bill does and go through the committee process. This may be impractical but I think it should have to go through the process in order to avoid the extraneous pork and mud that gets added using amendments.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:Thank you. It's still frustrating that what I consider a bad or unnecessary amendment can be added to an otherwise worthy bill. I would like to see it stand on its own just as the original bill does and go through the committee process. This may be impractical but I think it should have to go through the process in order to avoid the extraneous pork and mud that gets added using amendments.
The House couldn't have put this amendment on that bill without drawing a point-of-order that would have been sustained. The Senate rarely if every calls a point-of-order.

Chas.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

So does this have to go back to the House for them to approve the amendment? Or does it go straight to the Gov.?

Also, regarding the vote on the amendment, you can view it at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Currently, the site has not been updated with the details of the vote, but once it has, you can see who voted and how.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”