HB 972 -Not enough votes?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hammer58
Posts in topic: 3

HB 972 -Not enough votes?

Post by hammer58 »

I work at a community college and we just got an email from our college president that HB972 does not have the 21 votes needed to bring the vote to the senate floor. He said Birdwell has the rest of the week to get enough votes. Has anyone else heard this?

It seems to me that if this is the case, it might be the time for another call to action!
Member - NRA, TSRA, TFC

GEM-Texas

Re: HB 972 -Not enough votes?

Post by GEM-Texas »

Sad to say that I heard this back during the House hearings. Well, I tried.

GEM

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

It's on the Senate Intent Calendar. That usually means they have the 21 votes, or at least they think they do.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

hammer58 wrote:I work at a community college and we just got an email from our college president that HB972 does not have the 21 votes needed to bring the vote to the senate floor. He said Birdwell has the rest of the week to get enough votes. Has anyone else heard this?

It seems to me that if this is the case, it might be the time for another call to action!
TSRA sent out a similar email call to action this morning.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Received this this morning from NRA-ILA.

Texas Senate Must Act on Campus Carry Reform Bill Today or Tomorrow
Contact your state Senator NOW in support of HB 972

House Bill 972, an important NRA-backed self-defense bill that would repeal the criminal prohibition on the possession of firearms on college campuses by Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHL), is still pending in the Texas Senate – where final action must be taken on the measure by this Wednesday.

Make no mistake: anti-gun Senators and gun control advocates are trying to run out the clock on this important reform bill, and it will die without a vote unless your state Senator hears from you TODAY!

While HB 972 gives individual higher education institutions the authority to adopt administrative rules and regulations governing whether CHLs may carry into their buildings and facilities, we believe that by eliminating the criminal prohibition and granting schools immunity from liability, more colleges and universities will consider changing their restrictive policies to allow law-abiding adult CHLs to protect themselves on campus.

This measure also requires an annual review of any restrictive policies, with input from law enforcement, students, faculty and staff. Additionally, it contains language preventing schools from adopting or enforcing policies which prohibit students with CHLs from transporting or storing handguns and handgun ammunition in their locked, private motor vehicles while driving through or parking on campus.

Please call AND e-mail your state Senator NOW and urge him or her to support HB 972, and to push for a Senate vote before Wednesday’s deadline. Contact information for your Senator can be found here:

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/Members.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
hammer58

Post by hammer58 »

What does "Co-Sponsor Authorized" mean? I looked up the status of the bill on the Texas Legislature page and this is the last action listed dated 5/20/13. Does that mean that they have the 21 votes to get it to the floor?
Member - NRA, TSRA, TFC

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

hammer58 wrote:What does "Co-Sponsor Authorized" mean? I looked up the status of the bill on the Texas Legislature page and this is the last action listed dated 5/20/13. Does that mean that they have the 21 votes to get it to the floor?
No, that just means some Senator wanted his/her name attached to the bill. Co-sponsors have nothing to do with the twenty-one votes needed to suspend.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

baldeagle wrote:It's on the Senate Intent Calendar. That usually means they have the 21 votes, or at least they think they do.
Being placed on the Senate Intent Calendar doesn't necessarily mean that the sponsor/author has the 21 votes; it could just mean that the sponsor/author thinks he/she might get the 21 votes.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

If they can't get 21 votes for our civil rights this year, they deserve less than 21 votes next year.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

bizarrenormality wrote:If they can't get 21 votes for our civil rights this year, they deserve less than 21 votes next year.
What exactly does that mean? Are you suggesting that if CSHB 972 fails to pass, the electorate should vote out even those legislators who did support it?

artx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by artx »

Called sen uresti today. Again.

Topic author
hammer58

Post by hammer58 »

I called Robert Duncan's office today. One of his staff said that Duncan is definitely supporting HB972. I also asked him what he thinks our chances are and he said he thinks the dems have enough votes to block the bill..

If that happens, maybe we will see an even better bill pop up in special session.

Keeping my fingers crossed!! :thumbs2:
Member - NRA, TSRA, TFC

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Bladed wrote:What exactly does that mean?
I see you're new, so welcome to the forum.

It's not my first rodeo and I heard the excuses before. If somebody can't get the job done, at some point it's time to say "your services are no longer required" and hire somebody else. It's not personal. It''s business.

If they have to work overtime to finish the job, that's OK by me.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bizarrenormality wrote:
Bladed wrote:What exactly does that mean?
I see you're new, so welcome to the forum.

It's not my first rodeo and I heard the excuses before. If somebody can't get the job done, at some point it's time to say "your services are no longer required" and hire somebody else. It's not personal. It''s business.

If they have to work overtime to finish the job, that's OK by me.
It may not be your "first rodeo," but your complete lack of knowledge of how the system works is quite obvious. If a majority of votes followed your suggestion, you could roll the calendar back to 1994 in terms of gun rights.

Chas.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

Closely watching any legislative process is like watching a butcher make sausage. You may THINK you want to know exactly what's going on, but you really don't want to. And in doing so, you realize that it takes an awfully strong stomach.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”