HB 972 -Not enough votes?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HB 972 -Not enough votes?

Post by TexasCajun »

HK_USP_45 wrote:I suspect most of these professors are in the same category I am in. Taking a chance with weapons on campus and being able to defend yourself over being seriously injured is a no brainer. But they can't see that. Sometimes, you can be too "smart" for your own good.
What chance would that be?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GEM-Texas »

I confess Mojo, I volunteered to Alice Tripp and made the trip to Austin. My school's official position is dead set against campus carry. I spoke for it at work and then went to Austin. Spoke for campus carry at our run, hide, fight video seminar. Pointed out how those videos preclude the most efficacious method of self-defense. Told the Faculty Senate they were mistaken.

Glenn - check me out as a moderator on thefiringline.com

HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 »

TexasCajun wrote:
HK_USP_45 wrote:I suspect most of these professors are in the same category I am in. Taking a chance with weapons on campus and being able to defend yourself over being seriously injured is a no brainer. But they can't see that. Sometimes, you can be too "smart" for your own good.

The category would be older, out of shape guy that couldn't defend himself well against a 20-something in a physical confrontation. The "chance" is the chance you always take introducing a weapon into any situation.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

HK_USP_45 wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

The category would be older, out of shape guy that couldn't defend himself well against a 20-something in a physical confrontation. The "chance" is the chance you always take introducing a weapon into any situation.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to the 'chance' that a chl holder carrying a weapon on campus would end up with blood in the classroom & hallways. If you had been referring to that then I'd direct you to Charles Cotton's piece advocating expanded chl carry. But you weren't so we're good.

Glad you were able to diffuse your unpleasant encounter.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 »

No. My opinion on a citizens right to carry a weapon: In 1791, when the 2nd passed, they had pistols, rifles, muskets and cannon. If the founders wanted to restrict our right to bear in any way, they would have written "the right to keep and bear arms, except cannon". They didn't. Over the course of the history of this country, society has accepted unconstitutional restrictions on that right in the name of "what was good for society". The courts have upheld a lot of those restrictions. That doesn't make them constitutional, just legally binding in the present judicial system. IMHO.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

HK_USP_45 wrote:I am an adjunct for a local college (2 year) and always have a few students in class that are just out of prison or on probation or parole. I had a confrontation with one last year that was being disruptive in class. Now, I don't know what he would have done if he had been armed, but he was under 21 and a convicted felon. It was illegal for him to possess a weapon. The problem I had was, I wasn't armed because of policy. So now we have two individuals with a conflict, one under 21 and in pretty good shape. The other over 60 and not. That would be me. He didn't need a gun to hurt me. I needed a gun to defend myself if he decided to do serious bodily harm. My years as a peace officer helped me with conflict resolution, in fact I taught classes on that subject for TCLEOSE. The situation was resolved without incident. A month later he was arrested for violation of probation. Probably didn't pay his fees. That will get you revoked quicker than holding up a liquor store.

I suspect most of these professors are in the same category I am in. Taking a chance with weapons on campus and being able to defend yourself over being seriously injured is a no brainer. But they can't see that. Sometimes, you can be too "smart" for your own good.

I wouldn't equate that with being smart I would equate that with someone who is living in a white state of mind and oblivious to the reality of the world. The halls of academia are not the normal place for violence so it becomes something that escapes them, same as the memory of being bullied when in grade and high school has been pushed to the darkest recesses of their minds purposely so that they believe that the professorship they hold will protect them and they don't need weapons or rough men. I commonly call them Oblivious new scum johns be cause the hold the same beliefs that the singer does, the world is all roses and no thorns

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”