HB 972 -Not enough votes?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 972 -Not enough votes?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasCajun wrote:Closely watching any legislative process is like watching a butcher make sausage. You may THINK you want to know exactly what's going on, but you really don't want to. And in doing so, you realize that it takes an awfully strong stomach.
With over 30 years of experience, this may be the best analogy I've seen!

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Closely watching any legislative process is like watching a butcher make sausage. You may THINK you want to know exactly what's going on, but you really don't want to. And in doing so, you realize that it takes an awfully strong stomach.

Chas.

I am living this analogy at this very moment.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
And just like most sausage, ingesting too much of it will clog your arteries and give you gas. :ack:

:lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
And just like most sausage, ingesting too much of it will clog your arteries and give you gas. :ack:

:lol:

...and this one too.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
As my name implies, I've spent more than my fair share of time in Louisiana. Over there politics has just as much of a following as LSU Football or the New Orleans Saints. But it's more like pro wrestling.... with much more interesting characters.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

jmra

Post by jmra »

TexasCajun wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
As my name implies, I've spent more than my fair share of time in Louisiana. Over there politics has just as much of a following as LSU Football or the New Orleans Saints. But it's more like pro wrestling.... with much more interesting characters.
:iagree: never knew what was going to come out of Edwards' mouth.
I hated the man but his quotes were priceless. One of my favorites:
"People say I've had brushes with the law. That's not true. I've had brushes with overzealous prosecutors."
Most of his quotes would violate forum rules.
Of course when he ran against David Duke one of his campaign bumper stickers said, "Vote for the crook, it's important."
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

Sausage King wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bizarrenormality wrote:
Bladed wrote:What exactly does that mean?
I see you're new, so welcome to the forum.

It's not my first rodeo and I heard the excuses before. If somebody can't get the job done, at some point it's time to say "your services are no longer required" and hire somebody else. It's not personal. It''s business.

If they have to work overtime to finish the job, that's OK by me.
It may not be your "first rodeo," but your complete lack of knowledge of how the system works is quite obvious. If a majority of votes followed your suggestion, you could roll the calendar back to 1994 in terms of gun rights.

Chas.
If you don't shut up these whiners right now we'll kill all your gun bills. Last warning.
TROLL ALERT. Your posts show your absolute lack of decency.
:coolgleamA:

The Hoopla

Post by The Hoopla »

I'm the President of the SCC at UT. I honestly wish they could come up with one factual/historical/statistical reason to oppose this bill, rather than listen to all my professors cry "I'd be afraid to teach Anthropology here! Some Red Neck invalid would get upset and shoot me!" But in politics, I suppose it's what's to be expected.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Hoopla wrote:I'm the President of the SCC at UT. I honestly wish they could come up with one factual/historical/statistical reason to oppose this bill, rather than listen to all my professors cry "I'd be afraid to teach Anthropology here! Some Red Neck invalid would get upset and shoot me!" But in politics, I suppose it's what's to be expected.
Welcome to the forums!

I have a lot of respect for SCC and wish you well in your efforts to restore human dignity at the site of the one of the first mass school shootings.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Hoopla wrote:I'm the President of the SCC at UT. I honestly wish they could come up with one factual/historical/statistical reason to oppose this bill, rather than listen to all my professors cry "I'd be afraid to teach Anthropology here! Some Red Neck invalid would get upset and shoot me!" But in politics, I suppose it's what's to be expected.
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your efforts on campus.

I didn't attend any of the campus-carry hearings this session; there was just no need for me again. Last session, I was present for both the House and Senate hearings and it was hard to listen to so many outright lies. Like most trial attorneys, I love to cross-examine witness and doing so with a liar is an absolute hoot!! Professor after professor testified under oath about matters as you describe and many related specific instances with "aggressive" students threatening them over grades. They went on to say, "if they had had a gun, I probably would have been killed."

I wanted to jump up and take over questioning and the first question would have been "what did you do about that student?" The answer would have been "nothing" so I'd go after him/her about that and write the dean of that college. The next question would have been "what was the student's name" and since the professor was lying, he/she wouldn't be able to answer and I'd be after them for that as well.

Oh well, it's probably just as well I couldn't do that . . . but it sure would have been fun!

Chas.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your efforts on campus.

I didn't attend any of the campus-carry hearings this session; there was just no need for me again. Last session, I was present for both the House and Senate hearings and it was hard to listen to so many outright lies. Like most trial attorneys, I love to cross-examine witness and doing so with a liar is an absolute hoot!! Professor after professor testified under oath about matters as you describe and many related specific instances with "aggressive" students threatening them over grades. They went on to say, "if they had had a gun, I probably would have been killed."

I wanted to jump up and take over questioning and the first question would have been "what did you do about that student?" The answer would have been "nothing" so I'd go after him/her about that and write the dean of that college. The next question would have been "what was the student's name" and since the professor was lying, he/she wouldn't be able to answer and I'd be after them for that as well.

Oh well, it's probably just as well I couldn't do that . . . but it sure would have been fun!

Chas.
Well Chas, if you ever need me to cross-examine them for ya next session. I will. I love outing liars. :txflag: :biggrinjester:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

HK_USP_45

Post by HK_USP_45 »

I am an adjunct for a local college (2 year) and always have a few students in class that are just out of prison or on probation or parole. I had a confrontation with one last year that was being disruptive in class. Now, I don't know what he would have done if he had been armed, but he was under 21 and a convicted felon. It was illegal for him to possess a weapon. The problem I had was, I wasn't armed because of policy. So now we have two individuals with a conflict, one under 21 and in pretty good shape. The other over 60 and not. That would be me. He didn't need a gun to hurt me. I needed a gun to defend myself if he decided to do serious bodily harm. My years as a peace officer helped me with conflict resolution, in fact I taught classes on that subject for TCLEOSE. The situation was resolved without incident. A month later he was arrested for violation of probation. Probably didn't pay his fees. That will get you revoked quicker than holding up a liquor store.

I suspect most of these professors are in the same category I am in. Taking a chance with weapons on campus and being able to defend yourself over being seriously injured is a no brainer. But they can't see that. Sometimes, you can be too "smart" for your own good.

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Well, Chas - at this House session, I heard several professors make cogent cases for campus carry. In fact, one of them made it into the Houston, San Antonio and Dallas papers - as well as being interviewed on the TV news.

Their commentary clearly contradicted the silliness of professors from UT or Baylor. They were witty and intelligent.

I have to smile as I write this. Guess why?

Glenn

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

GEM-Texas wrote:Well, Chas - at this House session, I heard several professors make cogent cases for campus carry. In fact, one of them made it into the Houston, San Antonio and Dallas papers - as well as being interviewed on the TV news.

Their commentary clearly contradicted the silliness of professors from UT or Baylor. They were witty and intelligent.

I have to smile as I write this. Guess why?

Glenn
It couldn't have been you. Could it? :smilelol5:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

TexasCajun wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Not the least of whom was Governor/Senator Huey Long, who observed, "One of these days, the people of Louisiana are going to get good government............, and they ain't gonna like it."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”