Gun bills on the Senate intent calendar today

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Owens
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gun bills on the Senate intent calendar today

Post by Owens »

972 is on the intent for 5/22. Hope its a go then. If not maybe during a special session.......? different rules then. Better chance?

Hopefully not a pipe-dream....again.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Bladed
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bladed »

artx wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Looks like campus carry (HB 972) will die again this session. You young pups will have to take up the torch. I give up.

Looks like they're doing cleanup now before adjourning for the night.
Isn't tomorrow still a possibility (or am I reading the calendar wrong here)http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/De ... lendar.pdf
To pass tomorrow, HB 972 would need 25 votes instead of 21. If Birdwell can't secure 21 votes today, he's not likely to secure 25 tomorrow.

For all intents and purposes, HB 972 is dead. It's time to call Governor Perry and ask for campus carry to be added to his special session call.

Owens

Post by Owens »

"For all intents and purposes, HB 972 is dead......"

If thats the case, there are some folks currently in Austin that deserve to be staked to an ant hill. This is ridiculous....Again!
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Owens wrote:"For all intents and purposes, HB 972 is dead......"

If thats the case, there are some folks currently in Austin that deserve to be staked to an ant hill. This is ridiculous....Again!
That's how it works. The people who support a bill try to get it passed. The people who oppose it try to kill it. One side succeeds, and the other side fails.

artx

Post by artx »

Owens wrote:"For all intents and purposes, HB 972 is dead......"

Well, we still have the cryptic comments by Whitmire http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... 536483.php

Rick Perry has been the best friend we've ever had as govenor....maybe we can get campus carry added to a special session, if there is already going to be one for another issue.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

artx wrote:Rick Perry has been the best friend we've ever had as govenor....maybe we can get campus carry added to a special session, if there is already going to be one for another issue.
Wasn't there a "Get campus carry added to the special session!" call to action in 2009 and another one in 2011?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

is there a list anywhere of what they actually accomplished?

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TxLobo wrote:Thank you sir..

somehow, I'm not that surprised.. but somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I remember the Gov saying that he would like to see it where every CHL holder could carry anywhere... So maybe he will send this one back to them to fix..
The Governor can't send it back. If he vetoes it, it's a major loss for Texas CHLs! The Carona amendment will be used to our advantage in 2015.

Chas.
Charles, I submit that Senator Birdwell would be the perfect sponsor for the bill. Here's what he had inserted in the Senate Journal regarding the vote on HB 508.
Senator Birdwell submitted the following reason for vote on HB 508:

Today, I voted against House Bill 508, which would prohibit a state agency or political subdivision from providing false notice to a CHL-holder that entering certain government premises with a concealed handgun is prohibited. Though I initially supported the bill, I ultimately voted against it due to the addition of an amendment allowing CHL-holding elected officials to carry their firearms in all locations prohibited to regular citizens. Though I am an unwavering proponent of Second Amendment rights, I could not in good conscience grant myself a privilege that I had failed to first grant law-abiding citizens. Concealed Handgun License holders are allowed to carry almost everywhere they go. In my judgment, if we are going to expand when and where Texans can legally carry a concealed firearm, we should start with our citizens–not our lawmakers.

BIRDWELL
If Birdwell sponsors it, he has the high moral ground, and he can present it as an attempt to correct a terrible injustice done to the citizens by their legislators.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

texanjoker wrote:is there a list anywhere of what they actually accomplished?
The Bill Status Report on http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is up to date now and I'll be publishing a report when the session is over.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

baldeagle wrote:Charles, I submit that Senator Birdwell would be the perfect sponsor for the bill.
I keeping with our practice of starting on the next session at the end of the ongoing one, we've already selected a Senate sponsor. (You knew this was coming, but . . . sorry, it's a secret.) He's the perfect one to carry the bill.

As I've already said, I don't like the Carona amendment at all, but it will be helpful in 2015.

Chas.

Owens

Post by Owens »

Charles, it may be helpful in 2015, but for now it does nothing more than irritate the begeebees out of a bunch of people that are fed up with the "good for me and not for thee" attitude. It don't feed the bulldog today!

Just playing a hunch here, but those that voted for that corona ammendment are probably the same ones that prevented 972.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Owens wrote:Charles, it may be helpful in 2015, but for now it does nothing more than irritate the begeebees out of a bunch of people that are fed up with the "good for me and not for thee" attitude. It don't feed the bulldog today!

Just playing a hunch here, but those that voted for that corona ammendment are probably the same ones that prevented 972.
Please consider another possibility. Those who blocked HB972 were blocking 508 until the Carona admendment was added. HB508 is a major bill folks; it's impact should not be underestimated. Losing it would be far more significant than not passing HB972 in terms of the number of people impacted by its protections.

Chas.

Owens

Post by Owens »

So....maybe some sort of ammendment (although I have no clue what it would be at this point) could keep 972 in play? Maybe attach a carona type ammendment to it?
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why 508 is being targeted to be defeated? Abusing power is a crime, no? Imposing a fine and defining it is something good, no? :lol:: :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”