Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

kragluver
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

Post by kragluver »

Will do - just say when.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 2firfun50 »

TxLobo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm too mad to comment at this time. I'm going to draft an open letter to Governor Perry sometime next week and I hope our Forum Family will endorse the letter by contacting the Governor in support.

Chas.

Got my support..

I don't have the tact or eloquence of TAM when writing letters, and I sure don't have the full legalese that Chas has..

I look for form letters and try to turn them into my words, or at least some of them being my words, that being said, I look forward to your letter sir. and will throw whatever support I can behind it.
I have the same issue with writing letters. So I too will be waiting.

However, I'd like to get some feedback from the members about the appropriateness of going public with letters to the editors of major newspapers. A polite, professional letter, calling out Senators by name for the region of the newspaper. This is not just a gun issue, but an issue of the Senate attempting to create a special privilege. If they as a legislative body, get away with this, what will they try next?

Rrash
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rrash »

2firfun50 wrote:
TxLobo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm too mad to comment at this time. I'm going to draft an open letter to Governor Perry sometime next week and I hope our Forum Family will endorse the letter by contacting the Governor in support.

Chas.

Got my support..

I don't have the tact or eloquence of TAM when writing letters, and I sure don't have the full legalese that Chas has..

I look for form letters and try to turn them into my words, or at least some of them being my words, that being said, I look forward to your letter sir. and will throw whatever support I can behind it.

However, I'd like to get some feedback from the members about the appropriateness of going public with letters to the editors of major newspapers. A polite, professional letter, calling out Senators by name for the region of the newspaper. This is not just a gun issue, but an issue of the Senate attempting to create a special privilege. If they as a legislative body, get away with this, what will they try next?
My two cents:
It's usually not the best idea to write a letter when our emotions are fired up. Sending a letter to a news source - you have to remember that the audience is made up of pro-2A, antis, and mostly, indifferent readers. Unfortunately, most of the major news sources are not 2A friendly, so it is likely that our letters would fall on deaf ears or be used against us. In a large city such as Dallas and Fort Worth, you would likely get the attention of city government, who would certainly do anything they can to prevent this bill, including using our words out of context.

I think we all feel the same as you do. I actually started to draft a letter to Senator Carona, and stopped after about 15 minutes, because I realized while my intentions were good, it wasn't beneficial. My advice: Wait for respected, veteran people such as Mr. Cotton, who understand the legislature process, have a rapport with lawmakers, and know best how to strategize to our advantage. If he feels the need to mass-contact elected officials, he will ask us to do so.

Concerning the dilemma of how to construct/what to write to our lawmakers, I think it would be pretty cool for us to share copies of our letters on this forum.

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Rrash wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:
TxLobo wrote:

Chas.

Got my support..

My two cents:
It's usually not the best idea to write a letter when our emotions are fired up. Sending a letter to a news source - you have to remember that the audience is made up of pro-2A, antis, and mostly, indifferent readers. Unfortunately, most of the major news sources are not 2A friendly, so it is likely that our letters would fall on deaf ears or be used against us. In a large city such as Dallas and Fort Worth, you would likely get the attention of city government, who would certainly do anything they can to prevent this bill, including using our words out of context.

I think we all feel the same as you do. I actually started to draft a letter to Senator Carona, and stopped after about 15 minutes, because I realized while my intentions were good, it wasn't beneficial. My advice: Wait for respected, veteran people such as Mr. Cotton, who understand the legislature process, have a rapport with lawmakers, and know best how to strategize to our advantage. If he feels the need to mass-contact elected officials, he will ask us to do so.

Concerning the dilemma of how to construct/what to write to our lawmakers, I think it would be pretty cool for us to share copies of our letters on this forum.
You're right. I've been really angry after watching the House debate. Especially after one of the representatives blurted out "I don't care what the NRA thinks". I don't remember his name, however it should be in the house journal for May 26th once it is put online. A Motion was made and accepted to reduce the discussion to writing.

After watching the Senate for a couple of hrs, it became apparent to me anyway, that they have a habit of trying to sneak bad bills on the end of good bills. Several other bills thay were working on had to have Senate amendments stripped off after conference committee reports.

I found it quite interesting that both chambers have the ability to overide their own rules with a house or senate resolution to go 'Go out of bounds" and add to or change conference committee reports. That is where HB508 was killed in the House. They would not go "out of bounds" using HR3009, to add even more elected officials and some appointed federal officials to the already bloated piles of "special" people. I also learned that when a bill goes to conference committee, and the house and/or senate does not officially provide direction as to what is to be done, it becomes a free for all.

We can only hope this gets fixed in the special session, as another 2 years of false signs is way too long.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

2firfun50 wrote: as another 2 years of false signs is way too long.
This is my whole issue
While I know sometimes it does take a long time to get things done, even over several sessions of Congress, it really shouldn't.
And pushing forward, getting hopes up, hearing positive spins, then being let down is way too much to deal with time after time.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

I have checked the House website for the status of HBs 3218, 508, 972 and, of course, 700 which died in committee. It appears that all the rest have failed to achieve final action as well. Does anyone have information that indicates this not to be the case?

Thanks

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Teamless wrote:
2firfun50 wrote: as another 2 years of false signs is way too long.
This is my whole issue
While I know sometimes it does take a long time to get things done, even over several sessions of Congress, it really shouldn't.
And pushing forward, getting hopes up, hearing positive spins, then being let down is way too much to deal with time after time.
:iagree:

While we have made some real strides this session, most of them only affect us once every 4 yrs at renewell and at the initial class.
A major win for me was SB299 as it impacts every CHL everyday. As would HB508 if we ever get there. With my public library, water department, and other routine government offices improperly posted (the sign is even wrong) and I just can not afford to take a ride. I've had enough. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I suspect there are several A rated Senators and Representatives to blame for spoiling this BBQ. Maybe they should be dropped to a "C-"

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Richard_B wrote:I have checked the House website for the status of HBs 3218, 508, 972 and, of course, 700 which died in committee. It appears that all the rest have failed to achieve final action as well. Does anyone have information that indicates this not to be the case?

Thanks
You are reading it correctly. They are all dead unless the Governor puts them back on his agenda for the special session. If he doesn't put them on the agenda, they will stay in a vegetative state until 2015.

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

I can't help thinking that last year an amendment to add campus carry was "not germane" but this year this was.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”