Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

Post by 2firfun50 »

jmra wrote:
artx wrote:Before y'all run Carona out of town on a rail, have you looked at the pro 2a bills he has helped with in the past? There are a lot.

Also, after watching the TX legislature fairly closely for 4 sessions now, I agree with Chas that Carona's amendment helps pass a bill like hb3218 in upcoming sessions. Before going with the emotional response, think about how pro gun laws actuall get passed in Texas.

The general flow of pro 2a bills that are contraversal in the TX legislature goes like this:

1) Exposure - bill is introduced but has little chance for passage. May get a committee hearing or one house floor vote, but not tremendous progress.
2) Groundswell of support and debate - bill is heavily debated in committee, is supported by a sizable 'contact your reps/senators campaign', may get through one house but ultimately fails. This can continue for several sessions (employer parking lots is good example). TSRA, NRA lobbyists help generate support and influence representatives/senators to vote for the bill.
3) bill overcomes hurdles and is eventually passed. Examples like the HB 508 modifications help here (hey, you allowed yourselves to do this! Besides, nothing bad happened, just like we predicted).

TSRA and their lobbyist (Alice Tripp) helps tremendously with this process.

In short, do I like the 'some animals are more equal than others' scenario as it exists for a couple years? Of course not. But I can see how it can help long term.

FYI judges and prosecutors today can carry into off limits locations.
:iagree: in the long term I believe in works in our favor.
:iagree:

For me, it all depends what the house does today, if anything. HB508 is eligible for consideration early today. Less restrictions for Legislatures should lead to less restrictions for us while giving us immediate relief for the false signs.

ELIGIBLE AT 11:50 AM MAY 26, 2013:

HB 508 Guillen / Springer / Eiland / Clardy / et al.

Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare »

jmra wrote:
artx wrote:In short, do I like the 'some animals are more equal than others' scenario as it exists for a couple years? Of course not. But I can see how it can help long term.

How has special rights for CHL judges helped the common man with a CHL?
How will adding legislators to the special club help?

When the people who make the laws and enforce them don't have to play by the same rules as the people, there's a name for that. :nono:
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

nightmare wrote:
jmra wrote:
artx wrote:In short, do I like the 'some animals are more equal than others' scenario as it exists for a couple years? Of course not. But I can see how it can help long term.

How has special rights for CHL judges helped the common man with a CHL?
How will adding legislators to the special club help?

When the people who make the laws and enforce them don't have to play by the same rules as the people, there's a name for that. :nono:
The more the ability is expanded the less resistance there will be to expanding it more in the future. It's not my preference that we have to wait, but the people that have been involved in this process for years (like Chas) agree that this will work to our advantage eventually.
If this is the only way to get the rest of what is on the bill passed, then I would take it regardless if it helps us in the future or not. But I believe it will help us in the long run.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare »

That's what they said about LEOSA ten years ago. I hope nobody was holding their breath.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Senate has passed conference committee report on Hb508

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

nightmare wrote:That's what they said about LEOSA ten years ago. I hope nobody was holding their breath.
Who is they? You can be a glass half empty person if you so choose. I see forward movement due to the great work of men like Chas and others who are dedicated to the restoration of our rights. I believe like them that these steps are positive in nature toward achieving that goal.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

jmra wrote:
nightmare wrote:That's what they said about LEOSA ten years ago. I hope nobody was holding their breath.
Who is they? You can be a glass half empty person if you so choose. I see forward movement due to the great work of men like Chas and others who are dedicated to the restoration of our rights. I believe like them that these steps are positive in nature toward achieving that goal.
:iagree:

:iagree: :iagree:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If the choices are 1) HB508 passes with the Senate amendment; or 2) HB508 does not pass, which would yo choose?

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I trust you do know the difference between the federal congress and the Texas legislature. If so, then you realize what a poor analogy you have given.

Chas.

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

The conference committee report for SB1907 has been accepted in both the house and the senate.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

2firfun50 wrote:The conference committee report for SB1907 has been accepted in both the house and the senate.
I'm trying to find out what happened. It's my understanding the House amended the committee report. If so, the House must have changed their rules because conference committee reports have always been subject to a single up or down vote without amendments. :headscratch

Chas.

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:The conference committee report for SB1907 has been accepted in both the house and the senate.
I'm trying to find out what happened. It's my understanding the House amended the committee report. If so, the House must have changed their rules because conference committee reports have always been subject to a single up or down vote without amendments. :headscratch

Chas.
I'm not sure what happened as I wasn't listening when it was passed. However, at the opening of the session, the house voted to suspend a whole boat load of rules.

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

2firfun50 wrote:Senate has passed conference committee report on Hb508
So what does this mean for the bill?

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

CJD wrote:
We're waiting on the house to act. They have been debating on SB1 (budget) for the last hour.

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

2firfun50 wrote:
CJD wrote:
We're waiting on the house to act. They have been debating on SB1 (budget) for the last hour.
What did the committee agree on? Is the controversial amendment still intact?

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”