Dewhurst talks up special session, including gun bill(s)

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dewhurst talks up special session, including gun bill(s)

Post by tbrown »

IlliniBill wrote:If Perry brings back campus carry, does it have to be the existing bill (which allows universities to opt out) or can he introduce a different bill with less restrictions?
The legislators act within the agenda the governor sets but a hostile legislature can be more letter than spirit.

Here's a FAQ that helped me. http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/sessions/Spe ... ns/FAQ.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

So does this weekend's budget deal lessen the chance of a special session?
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

J.R.@A&M wrote:So does this weekend's budget deal lessen the chance of a special session?
Not based on some of the articles I've read. They still need to tackle district mapping among other things.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

jmra wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:So does this weekend's budget deal lessen the chance of a special session?
Not based on some of the articles I've read. They still need to tackle district mapping among other things.
The question in my mind is whether the Lt. Gov. and some Senators will ask the Gov. to include some of the bills that Speaker Straus bottled up in committee. With no 2/3rds majority required to get bills to the Senate floor in a special session there would be an opportunity to get a vote on them without the Dems having the ability to keep them off the floor. In the House, Speaker Straus would be tempting fate to block bills sent over from the Senate the way he did in the about to adjourn regular session.

I should hope that it would be possible to recruit a couple of Senators to sponsor the bills.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Perry called his special session already.
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/stat ... gin/nX4hz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Rothstein

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 2firfun50 »

Richard_B wrote:
jmra wrote:
The question in my mind is whether the Lt. Gov. and some Senators will ask the Gov. to include some of the bills that Speaker Straus bottled up in committee. With no 2/3rds majority required to get bills to the Senate floor in a special session there would be an opportunity to get a vote on them without the Dems having the ability to keep them off the floor. In the House, Speaker Straus would be tempting fate to block bills sent over from the Senate the way he did in the about to adjourn regular session.

I should hope that it would be possible to recruit a couple of Senators to sponsor the bills.
I think you may be on to something. If nothing else, giving Senator Carona a chance to right his wrong by correcting the mess with HB508 and presenting HB 3218 as a senate bill. HB 3218 would accomplish a lot of what was attempted with the Senate amendments to HB508 and would apply to everyone, eliminating the House objections.

I'll be writing and calling Senator Nelson to submit a request to the Governor to allow the Legislature to reconsider HB508 in special session. I think we should each give our Senator a chance to correct their screw up with HB508. The Governor might be a little more inclined to expand the special session with several requests from the Senate.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”