Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AEA
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by AEA »

Some info on the Special Session (83-1) is on the Legislature Pages and does contain Campus Carry.
Last edited by AEA on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Jeff Barriault
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeff Barriault »

AEA wrote:Some info on the Special Session (83-1) is on the Legislature Pages and does contain Campus Carry, but no other gun bills.
Link?

AEA

Post by AEA »

Jeff Barriault wrote:
AEA wrote:Some info on the Special Session (83-1) is on the Legislature Pages and does contain Campus Carry, but no other gun bills.
Link?
Edited above post you quoted as there are a couple of others as well.

House:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... housefiled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Senate:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... enatefiled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campus Carry filed in both the House and Senate.
It is the only main one, although there are a couple of others also filed that are less important.

I didn't notice anything that would reverse Statewide Carry for Legislative Members! :banghead:
But I would hope that Gov. Perry would Veto it if necessary.
1911's RULE!

Bladed
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bladed »

AEA wrote:House:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... housefiled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Senate:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... enatefiled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campus Carry filed in both the House and Senate.
It is the only main one, although there are a couple of others also filed that are less important.

I didn't notice anything that would reverse Statewide Carry for Legislative Members! :banghead:
But I would hope that Gov. Perry would Veto it if necessary.
Yes, campus carry bills have been filed in both the House and the Senate, but the bills won't be eligible for a floor vote until/unless Governor Perry adds campus carry to the special session agenda.

Statewide carry for legislators didn't pass. Unfortunately, that means that the good parts of HB 508 (to which the statewide-carry-for-legislators amendment was added) also died.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Thanks for the update on Statewide carry for legislators.
1911's RULE!

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

I find it interesting that various legislators are even allowed to file bills that are not on the call. I don't know that the practice is permissible or an authorized expenditure of state funds in doing so. The legislature is supposed to be working on what the Governor transmitted when he called the legislature into session, but then again when did such details bother the lege?

nobius

Post by nobius »

On Reddit I saw that open carry had been added to the special session. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

Nobius, Lavendar filed a bill for OC in the special session; but that is different from the Governor adding OC to the agenda for the special session. A lot of people get that confused.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

RHenriksen wrote:Nobius, Lavendar filed a bill for OC in the special session; but that is different from the Governor adding OC to the agenda for the special session. A lot of people get that confused.
That seems to be a common misconception about all the gun bills.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Richard_B wrote:I find it interesting that various legislators are even allowed to file bills that are not on the call. I don't know that the practice is permissible or an authorized expenditure of state funds in doing so. The legislature is supposed to be working on what the Governor transmitted when he called the legislature into session, but then again when did such details bother the lege?
That legislators can file a bill on any topic during the special session is actually one of the few efficiencies of state government. Knowing that any topic can be added at any time, having the off-topic bills filled ahead of the call actually saves time in that the bills are immediately available for consideration.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

TexasCajun wrote:
Richard_B wrote:I find it interesting that various legislators are even allowed to file bills that are not on the call. I don't know that the practice is permissible or an authorized expenditure of state funds in doing so. The legislature is supposed to be working on what the Governor transmitted when he called the legislature into session, but then again when did such details bother the lege?
That legislators can file a bill on any topic during the special session is actually one of the few efficiencies of state government. Knowing that any topic can be added at any time, having the off-topic bills filled ahead of the call actually saves time in that the bills are immediately available for consideration.
Another positive for a legislator is to be able to claim that you tried. I filed the special bill for topic XYZ but the Governor didn't open up the special session. Blame him.

IlliniBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by IlliniBill »

I just got this e-mail from the NRA-ILA:

"While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:"

05yuk

Post by 05yuk »

Sounds like we are done.

I got this from NRA

"Texas: Campus Carry Will NOT Be on Special Session Call
Make sure to register your dissatisfaction with important government officials

While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:

Governor Rick Perry:

Main Switchboard [8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST]
(512) 463-2000
Toll-free Information and Referral Hotline [for Texas callers]
(800) 843-5789

Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline [for Austin and out-of-state callers]
(512) 463-1782

Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst
512-463-0001

House Speaker Joe Straus
512-463-1000
E-mail"

This is disappointing.

IlliniBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by IlliniBill »

05yuk wrote:Sounds like we are done.

This is disappointing.
It is disgraceful. I can't understand why these "conservatives" are so scared to put this issue up for a vote.

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

Yep I just got it too. That's too bad!
IlliniBill wrote:I just got this e-mail from the NRA-ILA:

"While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:"
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”