Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by paperchunker »

This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AEA »

Republican majority and the State being led by the Democrats? What's gonna happen when them New Yorkers get here? :eek6 :banghead:

Things are really looking bad for Texas as far as I can see. :frown5:
Last edited by AEA on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Is anybody really surprised? Same thing happens every session, they throw us a bone here and there and leave bills that will mwke a statement on the back burner afraid they are too hot to touch politically........... we should be used to this by now
Salty1

Panda

Post by Panda »

IlliniBill wrote:I just got this e-mail from the NRA-ILA:

"While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:"
I will. Every time they run for office I iwill tell everyone who will listen how these politicians REALLY feel about gun rights for tax paying Texans.

My neighbor said it best. Perry is all hat and no cattle.

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

Panda wrote:
IlliniBill wrote:I just got this e-mail from the NRA-ILA:

"While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:"
I will. Every time they run for office I iwill tell everyone who will listen how these politicians REALLY feel about gun rights for tax paying Texans.

My neighbor said it best. Perry is all hat and no cattle.
Saw a Dallas (R) state rep on news last night getting an award from DPD thanking him for allowing drone spying. This state is full of RINOs.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JKTex »

While it's beyond disappointing, people still seem to misplace blame. If Perry knows something has no chance at all, why waist a ton of taxpayer money and resources adding it?
While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, the NRA has been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included. While Governor Rick Perry (R) has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor (who presides over the state Senate) and the Speaker of the House. Please express your dissatisfaction with the following officials:
Between Dewhurst and Straus it seems they can pretty much dictate what happens. Of course let all 3 know how you feel, but Perry can't be given all the blame.

artx

Post by artx »

You are still calling or faxing right? I will be when I get home tonight.

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

I just got off the phone with the Governor's office. The lady I spoke with has no knowledge of where the NRA got this information. She was also unaware of any statements Perry has made indicating that gun bills would not be added to the special session. I think I'll wait for something offical before getting too worked up.

Kiowa Scout
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kiowa Scout »

I sent emails to Gov. Perry, Lt. Gov. Dewhurst and SOH Straus expressing my dis-satisfaction with the lack of support on our keys issues in this special session. I feel better by telling them my feelings, if nothing else.
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Honorable Lt. Governor David Dewhurst,

I am really disappointed to learn that no Pro-gun laws would be introduced in the special session call. I, as millions of Texans, was waiting to hear that the Texan legislators would work hard and introduce pro-gun bills to extend our 2nd Amendment rights wherever we are.

I am certain that you are aware that the very often an active shooter would go on shooting spree killing innocent disarmed citizens in so called Gun-Free zones.

Why in the world we would allow such incidents to happen? Gun Laws would only disarm law-abiding citizen and said laws are only to ignored by those who are committed to do mass murder.

Such gun-free zones are only the easy killing fields. Letting citizen disarmed would only make them easier to kill.

Please I would like to express my dissatisfaction with new pro-gun being introduced in the special session.

Best regards,
Beiruty
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

2firfun50 wrote:I just got off the phone with the Governor's office. The lady I spoke with has no knowledge of where the NRA got this information. She was also unaware of any statements Perry has made indicating that gun bills would not be added to the special session. I think I'll wait for something offical before getting too worked up.
I focused my inputs on the issue of cities improperly posting signs to restrict CHLs' from carrying in government buildings. Perry has said repeatedly he would only add to the call with things likely to pass. I spoke about how this bill would have passed without the objectionable amendments. I informed her it had been refiled as SB16 and made no attempt to recommend an action that would throw the session wide open for gun bills. We might have some success with a focused approach, but I believe campus carry and open carry is dead and will not be added.

e-bil

Post by e-bil »

Abortion bans and gun expansion in a special session? That's several careers worth of political capital right there. Honestly it's not surprising.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

2firfun50 wrote:I just got off the phone with the Governor's office. The lady I spoke with has no knowledge of where the NRA got this information. She was also unaware of any statements Perry has made indicating that gun bills would not be added to the special session. I think I'll wait for something offical before getting too worked up.
It's a pretty safe bet that NRA/TSRA know what they're talking about. They're not getting their information from press releases or official announcements; they're talking to people on the inside.

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Bladed wrote:
It's a pretty safe bet that NRA/TSRA know what they're talking about. They're not getting their information from press releases or official announcements; they're talking to people on the inside.
Thats why I kept my focus on the "sign" bill, now SB16. That one could be passed and sent to the governor in a few hrs. Campus Carry is going nowhere without trickery in the Senate to get around the 2/3 rule. It might not be a good idea to run over democrats from large areas with colleges. That could really come back to bite. So it is a waste of time and money this session. Open Carry died a quick and early death. Another waste of money.

SB16 (old HB508) was the only gun bill that was going to pass normally until the non germain amendments were presented. A clean bill should pass both houses quickly. This bill will have the most benefit for more CHL holders with little political risk.

Just my thoughts.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

2firfun50 wrote:
Bladed wrote:
Thats why I kept my focus on the "sign" bill, now SB16. That one could be passed and sent to the governor in a few hrs. Campus Carry is going nowhere without trickery in the Senate to get around the 2/3 rule. It might not be a good idea to run over democrats from large areas with colleges. That could really come back to bite. So it is a waste of time and money this session. Open Carry died a quick and early death. Another waste of money.

SB16 (old HB508) was the only gun bill that was going to pass normally until the non germain amendments were presented. A clean bill should pass both houses quickly. This bill will have the most benefit for more CHL holders with little political risk.

Just my thoughts.
I agree that Perry could add this bill without incurring much negative publicity and get it passed in relatively short order.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”