Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by TexasGal »

I received this email from the TSRA today so they are reporting the same thing as the NRA. Time to make some more calls, emails, etc. It really tics me that the special session can get this passed where the regular session keeps it stymied and yet the Governor isn't putting it on:
Campus Carry Will NOT Be On Special Session
While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, we have been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will not be included. Although the Governor has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House.

Register your dissatisfaction...
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Richard_B
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Richard_B »

paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

Richard_B wrote:
paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

My evaluation is based on 1 particular bill and subject "the sign" bill (HB508 and Now SB16). Every last Senator who voted for the amendment that killed it in the House gets an "F". Every member of the conference committee who "failed to do right" gets an "F". Picket gets 2 double "F's" for not allowing HB3218 to even be voted on in committee.

:cheers2:

JKTex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JKTex »

Richard_B wrote:

There's nothing to be surprised about because that rating comes from a questionnaire. Someones personal opinion based on a specific event isn't relevant to the survey.

From what Charles has and hasn't said, it sounds like there's more to what's going on this session than we will know until the session is over. When you look at the number of bills that DID pass it's pretty impressive, even if the hot issues aren't part of that list. My fingers are crossed that the fat lady isn't even close to signing yet, but we'll see. :txflag:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I think it's based on a questionnaire until a vote comes up that applies to a gun issue, then that vote and further gun issue votes are used as a basis for the grade, (the questionnaire is probably averaged in there somehow also). I could be mistaken, but I believe that is how it was explained to me.

edit: so the problem is that some of these grades, like Strauss's, don't reflect that he doesn't allow the vote, but if it comes up for a vote he will vote for it, thus he gets the good grade. (I'm not sure that makes a lick of sense? I wish I could write like TAM)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Panda

Post by Panda »

Richard_B wrote:You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

I give Straus a D on gun rights.
Last edited by Panda on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

SewTexas wrote:I think it's based on a questionnaire until a vote comes up that applies to a gun issue, then that vote and further gun issue votes are used as a basis for the grade, (the questionnaire is probably averaged in there somehow also). I could be mistaken, but I believe that is how it was explained to me.

edit: so the problem is that some of these grades, like Strauss's, don't reflect that he doesn't allow the vote, but if it comes up for a vote he will vote for it, thus he gets the good grade. (I'm not sure that makes a lick of sense? I wish I could write like TAM)
I don't think it's that simple, but the grade comes from the questionnaire as it's been explained many times. I believe Charles has even commented about how much weight can be put on the grade. It's just a part of many things, but also, we don't know what's going on inside and often loose sight of the big picture of everything the Legislature is working with.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Beiruty wrote:Honorable Lt. Governor David Dewhurst,

I am really disappointed to learn that no Pro-gun laws would be introduced in the special session call. I, as millions of Texans, was waiting to hear that the Texan legislators would work hard and introduce pro-gun bills to extend our 2nd Amendment rights wherever we are.

I am certain that you are aware that the very often an active shooter would go on shooting spree killing innocent disarmed citizens in so called Gun-Free zones.

Why in the world we would allow such incidents to happen? Gun Laws would only disarm law-abiding citizen and said laws are only to ignored by those who are committed to do mass murder.

Such gun-free zones are only the easy killing fields. Letting citizen disarmed would only make them easier to kill.

Please I would like to express my dissatisfaction with new pro-gun being introduced in the special session.

Best regards,
Beiruty
Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Remember who did and didn't support, irrespective of party.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Bladed wrote:Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.
Where did you hear that? I've tried to find where anyone has publicly said what they've discussed and haven't found anything.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

Richard_B wrote:

I would rate them all an "F", however I am not in their districts. I do strongly encourage my rep to vote against Strauss but as long he has all the Democrats and a handfull of RINO's he will stay as Speaker.

A change in Texas House rules to elect the Speaker solely by the majority party, like the US House does, is sorely needed.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

JKTex wrote:
Bladed wrote:Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst already asked for campus carry to be added to the special session. Governor Perry is the one who apparently decided not to add it.
Where did you hear that? I've tried to find where anyone has publicly said what they've discussed and haven't found anything.
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/05/27/ ... ecial-ses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jerry_r60 »

According to this update from a couple hours ago, it sounds like nothing more is going to be added to the session.

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/jun/13/ ... al-sessio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Bladed wrote:
JKTex wrote:
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/05/27/ ... ecial-ses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, that was early at the beginning of the special session, I think before Perry set the agenda. I thought there was something else more recently once the session was underway.

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

Panda wrote:My neighbor said it best. Perry is all hat and no cattle.
In his case, it's more like "all hair..."
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”