Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by Mike1951 »

paperchunker wrote:
Richard_B wrote:
paperchunker wrote:This was the last chance for Perry and Dewhurst in my book. It is time to really get behind Greg Abbott for Governor and Jerry Patterson for Lt. Governor in 2014.
You may be surprised to learn that Speaker Straus (R-San Antonio) is "A" rated by NRA-ILA. Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso), Chairman of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee is likewise "A" rated.

How would you have rated these individuals based upon their actions in the last three regular sessions?

Soon, I think, it will be time to evaluate the methods and results of ILA's evaluation of candidates.

You may wish to make your own assessment of the matter.
I would rate them all an "F", however I am not in their districts. I do strongly encourage my rep to vote against Strauss but as long he has all the Democrats and a handfull of RINO's he will stay as Speaker.

A change in Texas House rules to elect the Speaker solely by the majority party, like the US House does, is sorely needed.
I posted this back in March, wondering if it was sincere.
Dear TSRA Members, Family and Friends:

If you recently received an out-of-state alert or read a blog attacking the Texas Speaker of the House, thank you for noticing the inaccuracies, bad information and for not calling the Speaker's office or a member of the Legislature.

Earlier this month a letter was sent from this same out-of-Texas source attacking HB 972 by Rep. Fletcher and SB 182 by Sen. Birdwell. These two bills, hammered-out over two previous legislative sessions, would allow adult students, faculty and staff with a concealed handgun license to have this important personal safety option as they go about their daily activities on a college campus.

The letter was followed by an email alert which blames the impending loss of these bills and other pro-gun bills on Speaker of the House Joe Straus.

Nothing in the alert was correct.

All Legislation in Texas is alive and well. Gun bills are in very good shape, thanks to an ongoing and open relationship with leadership in both chambers of the Texas Legislature.

You might recall during last session, after 8 long years, TSRA was able to pass SB 321, the Employee Protection Act. We also passed SB 766 to protect safe shooting ranges from frivolous lawsuits. These two important bills passed with help from Speaker of the House Joe Straus and Lt. Governor David Dewhurst in the Senate.

As in past Legislative Sessions, House and Senate Committees begin hearing testimony on bills as filing ends. The close for bill filing is tomorrow. The process will now begin to push forward.

This is not the time for misinformation or inaccuracies from a source having no presence in Texas, no "boots on the ground".

While TSRA strongly supports and encourages diversity of opinion, the attack on the Texas Speaker was unfounded, incorrect and an embarrassing distraction at best.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Sometimes I wonder if lobbyists have a financial incentive to make sure there's not too much good news at once.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gringo pistolero »

TexasGal wrote:I received this email from the TSRA today so they are reporting the same thing as the NRA. Time to make some more calls, emails, etc. It really tics me that the special session can get this passed where the regular session keeps it stymied and yet the Governor isn't putting it on:
Campus Carry Will NOT Be On Special Session
While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, we have been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will not be included. Although the Governor has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House.

Register your dissatisfaction...
Look at the bright side. Now we know where Perry really stands on CHL issues.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

are we sure there will only be one Special Session? have they completed everything needed for Redistricting? Budget? Education?
anything else they can deem absolutely ness?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

JKTex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JKTex »

gringo pistolero wrote:
TexasGal wrote:I received this email from the TSRA today so they are reporting the same thing as the NRA. Time to make some more calls, emails, etc. It really tics me that the special session can get this passed where the regular session keeps it stymied and yet the Governor isn't putting it on:
Campus Carry Will NOT Be On Special Session
While transportation, pro-life and juvenile justice issues have been added to the call for the current special session, we have been informed that important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will not be included. Although the Governor has the authority to add subjects to the call, he does so with input from the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House.

Register your dissatisfaction...
Look at the bright side. Now we know where Perry really stands on CHL issues.
Apparently you don't. I'm blown away at some of the comments being made that just don't make sense. :leaving

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I do believe Perry has been, and is, supportive of the right to carry but I would like to know why he did not put campus carry in the Special Session. Considering how long we have been fighting for it, I would think he would have thrown a life preserver out for it in the form it had finally taken this session.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Richard_B
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Richard_B »

TexasGal wrote:I do believe Perry has been, and is, supportive of the right to carry but I would like to know why he did not put campus carry in the Special Session. Considering how long we have been fighting for it, I would think he would have thrown a life preserver out for it in the form it had finally taken this session.
My assessment of Gov. Perry is that he simply will not go out of his way to help. He probably would not kill a bill if it passes, but that is about it. ("I'll sign it if it makes it to my desk" comes to mind.)

He is like a "friend" who won't be seen in public with you...not much of a friend and certainly not one who has your back.

Sure, "it could be worse", but....

I find it interesting that the Gov. Is out of state recruiting firearms businesses, but he won't stand up for gun rights, or more precisely the rights of citizens to use guns. I don't think the two positions are entirely consistent, but "it could be worse". Still, we should hope for better.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

A fair weather friend. That sums it up nicely.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JKTex »

Tic Tac wrote:A fair weather friend. That sums it up nicely.
No, it really doesn't. All these comments seem to be coming from frustration about a few of the bigger/more controversial bills and ignoring all the bills that have passed. The Governor has a machine to work within. If he could simply add and pass them I'm quite sure he would.

I know someone that is close to him but not from a political position and as "just a guy/friend/Dad" you' might be surprised how much he is on "our" side.

I'm hoping after this session though, Charles can share more insight that might help us understand the political wrangling and roadblocks. It's frustrating even if you understand there are reasons you won't understand or ever even know existed.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

You may be sure but many of us aren't. Action speaks louder than campaign sound bites.

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

JKTex wrote:
Tic Tac wrote:A fair weather friend. That sums it up nicely.
No, it really doesn't. All these comments seem to be coming from frustration about a few of the bigger/more controversial bills and ignoring all the bills that have passed. The Governor has a machine to work within. If he could simply add and pass them I'm quite sure he would.

I know someone that is close to him but not from a political position and as "just a guy/friend/Dad" you' might be surprised how much he is on "our" side.

I'm hoping after this session though, Charles can share more insight that might help us understand the political wrangling and roadblocks. It's frustrating even if you understand there are reasons you won't understand or ever even know existed.
You contradict yourself, in part.

While it is true that the Governor can not pass legislation by himself, he can, in point of actual fact, "simply add" legislation to the call to the legislature for the special session. That is precisely what he has failed to do.

It is true that he has signed a number of bills which have "made it to his desk", but he has failed to go out of his way to be helpful by adding items to the call when doing so would have the effect of overcoming procedural hurdles to all the bill to be voted upon. The requirement in the Senate for a 2/3rds vote for any bill to get to the floor during the regular session is archaic. There is also the matter of House Speaker Straus which should require no further explanation.

Cheers

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Richard_B wrote:While it is true that the Governor can not pass legislation by himself, he can, in point of actual fact, "simply add" legislation to the call to the legislature for the special session. That is precisely what he has failed to do.

It is true that he has signed a number of bills which have "made it to his desk", but he has failed to go out of his way to be helpful by adding items to the call when doing so would have the effect of overcoming procedural hurdles to all the bill to be voted upon. The requirement in the Senate for a 2/3rds vote for any bill to get to the floor during the regular session is archaic. There is also the matter of House Speaker Straus which should require no further explanation.

Cheers
I knew about Straus last year, even if the NRA didn't, but this revelation about Perry is disappointing. I'm torn between establishing residency so I can vote against him and finding a new job in a more gun friendly state ASAP.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

superchief wrote:I am sure that Gov Perry is in favor of open carry and all the other issues we see as critical to our cause. Don't forget that he only has a limited amount of political capital, and just like us he has to pick his fights carefully. Politics is all about trading, and while he shares our beliefs, he can't be a single issue governor. He has other stuff he wants to get done and he has to use his legislative support carefully. That may sound like a cop out answer, but we are very well off on gun laws compared to other states, and we need solutions on a lot of other problems that need his attention.

I think if we ever could get the 1 million NRA members in Texas, then that would carry a lot of influence and focus our friends on keeping us happy.
I think you misunderstand what is involved.

In the House, Speaker Straus and Chairman Pickett bottled up a number of bills refusing to allow them to come to a vote either until sufficiently late in the session that they stood a lesser chance of making it through the system before the end of the session or simply refused to allow them to come to a vote in committee at all even though there were enough votes to pass them. If a bill were to come to the House from the Senate during a Special Session, the Speaker would not as easily kill it, though it is still possible that he could.

In the Senate, there are 19 Republicans out of 31 Senators. To get the 2/3rds majority necessary for a bill to be brought to the floor during the Regular Session, two Democrats would have had to have voted to bring it to the floor whether they voted for the bill or not. The Democratic Party of Texas more or less insisted that their people toe the party line on their anti-gun platform. In a Special Session of the Legislature, the 2/3rds rule does not apply an so a bill can be voted on and passed with a simple majority. There really isn't any political capital involved. The votes are there if the bills get a fair opportunity for a vote which is why the Governor's failure to include any second amendment issues at all in the call to the Legislature all the more disappointing.

Cheers

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

My personal opinion is that Gov. Perry will sign any pro-gun bills that hit his desk. I do not believe that he will be the driving force behind getting them placed there otherwise he would have added some to the special session. Politically he takes the safe road, anything he signs he can say it is because the state legislature had passed them, if he adds bills to the special session then he, in a political way, takes ownership of them which could affect his public profile should he seek higher office again.
Salty1

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”