Letter to Governor Rick Perry

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Panda
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Letter to Governor Rick Perry

Post by Panda »

suthdj wrote:
GrillKing wrote:
suthdj wrote:How I look at it, he may have signed all the gun bills in front of him, that is easy he just signs what they hand him. Now for him to not do something when he has the power that is failure on his part and the only way I have to punish him is by voting against him, See so simple. Yes this may make some upset because it is against what they want but that is why or system is so great we can voice our displeasure at the ballot box.
And that is exactly how Bill White (or similar) would become the next Governor of Texas.
Then maybe Perry should have stepped up to the plate when he was called.
I thought Perry claimed to support campus carry but if he would rather hand the reins to Bill White than do something to support campus carry then it seems like the Republicans would be wise to use the primary to replace him first.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Vote for the best candidate available, or more precisely, the least worst one... :reddevil

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Abbo ... r_governor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 6

Post by paperchunker »

http://www.facebook.com/Patterson4TX?hc_location=stream

http://www.facebook.com/TexansForAbbott ... ion=stream

Facebook pages for Greg Abbott and Jerry Patterson.

Donations can be made through these sites.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

IlliniBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by IlliniBill »

Here are the simple facts. Since at least 2007, Gov. Perry has been proudly and loudly proclaiming that Texas CHL's should be able to carry their guns everywhere. Yet he did not add this or campus carry, or HB508 to the call.

Lt. Gov. Dewhurst stated during the TSRA Annual Meeting (so I'm told, I wasn't there) that "campus-carry was top priority," yet there's no indication that he pushed for it to be added to the call.

Speaker Joe Straus, well I need not say more.

Does this mean I will vote for a Democrat? Of course not, not ever. The Texas Democratic Party is now openly anti-gun and this was clear during the session. There are two reasons for this; 1) this is the way they feel; and 2) huge amounts of DNC money is flowing into Texas trying to make it a blue state. It won't keep coming unless Texas Democrats fall in line with what the DNC and Obama want.

The battlefield for gun owners is the Republican primary.

People who have known me know I do not abandon friends (actual or political), but one who has a chance to help me and does not has proven not to be by friend. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap. This is one of the hardest things I've had to post.
I love this post on so many levels.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

IlliniBill wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: People who have known me know I do not abandon friends (actual or political), but one who has a chance to help me and does not has proven not to be by friend. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap. This is one of the hardest things I've had to post.

Chas.
I love this post on so many levels.
Agreed.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Here are the simple facts. Since at least 2007, Gov. Perry has been proudly and loudly proclaiming that Texas CHL's should be able to carry their guns everywhere. Yet he did not add this or campus carry, or HB508 to the call.

Lt. Gov. Dewhurst stated during the TSRA Annual Meeting (so I'm told, I wasn't there) that "campus-carry was top priority," yet there's no indication that he pushed for it to be added to the call.

Speaker Joe Straus, well I need not say more.

Does this mean I will vote for a Democrat? Of course not, not ever. The Texas Democratic Party is now openly anti-gun and this was clear during the session. There are two reasons for this; 1) this is the way they feel; and 2) huge amounts of DNC money is flowing into Texas trying to make it a blue state. It won't keep coming unless Texas Democrats fall in line with what the DNC and Obama want.

The battlefield for gun owners is the Republican primary.

People who have known me know I do not abandon friends (actual or political), but one who has a chance to help me and does not has proven not to be by friend. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap. This is one of the hardest things I've had to post.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
suthdj wrote:
GrillKing wrote:
suthdj wrote:How I look at it, he may have signed all the gun bills in front of him, that is easy he just signs what they hand him. Now for him to not do something when he has the power that is failure on his part and the only way I have to punish him is by voting against him, See so simple. Yes this may make some upset because it is against what they want but that is why or system is so great we can voice our displeasure at the ballot box.
And that is exactly how Bill White (or similar) would become the next Governor of Texas.
You'd rather have proven anti-gun former Houston Mayor Bill White as Governor?

Chas.
But, of course, that's a false dichotomy. I've seen several posts lately saying that would should continue to support Perry because he's not anti-gun, he's not as bad as White, etc. But that's simply not true - we're not limited to choosing between Perry and White. There are plenty of other candidates we can support - particularly those whith Tea Party or Libertarian views. Perry was challenged in the primaries last time around, and I'm sure he will be again. We can rally together behind someone like Medina or Abott. Can you imagine what would happen if the TSRA endorsed someone other than Perry in a primary and was up-fornt about why? Perry might still win, but at least he'd know that he can't run on past victories forever. The same holds true for the Lt. Governor and legislative offices.

IlliniBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by IlliniBill »

We had a lockdown on my campus this morning because local police got a tip that someone with a gun was heading to the campus (the threat didn't materialize as he was apprehended before getting here). Over 30K students/faculty/staff, but none are allowed to protect themselves. Unbelievable. I can't wait until the GOP primary. I really want a governor with actually has some balls.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

What school?

suthdj
Posts in topic: 7

Post by suthdj »

TrueFlog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
suthdj wrote:
GrillKing wrote:

Chas.
But, of course, that's a false dichotomy. I've seen several posts lately saying that would should continue to support Perry because he's not anti-gun, he's not as bad as White, etc. But that's simply not true - we're not limited to choosing between Perry and White. There are plenty of other candidates we can support - particularly those whith Tea Party or Libertarian views. Perry was challenged in the primaries last time around, and I'm sure he will be again. We can rally together behind someone like Medina or Abott. Can you imagine what would happen if the TSRA endorsed someone other than Perry in a primary and was up-fornt about why? Perry might still win, but at least he'd know that he can't run on past victories forever. The same holds true for the Lt. Governor and legislative offices.
Yep
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason K »

I agree that the fight is in the primaries.....and Abbott & Pauken look like great alternatives to another Perry term. My biggest fear is that, if Perry wins this next primary, that Texas will have a Dem governor.....as blue as Mr. Cotton has forseen....

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

suthdj wrote:
TrueFlog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
suthdj wrote:
GrillKing wrote:

Chas.
Yep
Then you are an enemy of the Second Amendment and Texas gun owners.

Chas.

Panda
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Panda »

Not even half as much as the legislators who allowed Straus to become SOH again.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Then you are an enemy of the Second Amendment and Texas gun owners.

Chas.
Maybe I didn't read all that innuendo and what-if the same way as you Charles.

If Abbott ran against Perry in the primaries and I voted for Abbott, are you saying that the above statement would apply to me?
(I know it's likely Abbott would not run if Perry did, but just for discussion sake)
I feel like I missed something in all this what-if discussion.
I don't see how a primary vote for Abbott would equal a general election vote for any Democrat.

"False dichotomy" would also be my description of that argument.... Unless you have some inside baseball that says if Perry sees a serious primary challenger he would lose a GE even if he won the primary.

You've made a fairly harsh accusation. I'm struggling to understand the reasoning. :bigear:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”