HB49 Filed

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB49 Filed

Post by 2firfun50 »

nightmare69 wrote:So if this bill is passed and become law I have a few questions...

1. Where will I be able to carry that Im not allowed to now?

2. It says it takes either 2/3 vote and become effective immediately or it will go into effect Sept 1st. Does that mean that this bill will become law regardless if it gets the votes or not?

To attempt to answer 2) If or when the governor adds gun bills to the special session, these bills need a simple majority in the House and either a simple majority or 2/3 majority (depends on how Dewhurst plays it) in the Senate. I think it is a simple majority in the Senate in special session.

My biggest concern with this bill involves Pickett's committee where it was killed the first time. But, I'm not going to get my hopes up until the Governor adds gun bills to the special session.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

Bladed wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:So if this bill is passed and become law I have a few questions...

2. It says it takes either 2/3 vote and become effective immediately or it will go into effect Sept 1st. Does that mean that this bill will become law regardless if it gets the votes or not?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the bill still has to pass. Just like any bill, it must be passed out of committee in both the House and the Senate, be passed out of the Calendars Committee in the House, and be passed by majority vote on both second and third reading in both the House and the Senate.
Read the last paragraph on the last page of the bill.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

JJVP wrote:
blwill wrote:Here's a link to the text:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a small issue. On top of page 7, the phrase "of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying" needs to be deleted. It no longer applies, or will not after September 1st.
And on page 3, line 10... "section d" numbering is deleted, but they forgot to replace the "d" with a "b".
Otherwise... Perfection.

Standing by to make phone calls.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

nightmare69 wrote:
Bladed wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the bill still has to pass. Just like any bill, it must be passed out of committee in both the House and the Senate, be passed out of the Calendars Committee in the House, and be passed by majority vote on both second and third reading in both the House and the Senate.
Read the last paragraph on the last page of the bill.
I think you are asking about the effectivity date. That does not apply to whether the bill passes both houses and is signed. Only when it becomes effective. IF it passes both houses with a 2/3 majority and is signed by the Governor, it becomes effective immediately. If it passes with less than 2/3 majority and is signed by the Governor, it becomes effective on 1 september.

To me, the key concerns right now is will the Governor add gun bills to the special session, and will this particular bill get passed out of the House. Pickett's committee killed it the first time.

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
JJVP wrote:
blwill wrote:Here's a link to the text:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a small issue. On top of page 7, the phrase "of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying" needs to be deleted. It no longer applies, or will not after September 1st.
And on page 3, line 10... "section d" numbering is deleted, but they forgot to replace the "d" with a "b".
Otherwise... Perfection.

Standing by to make phone calls.
and on page 2, line 7, "intentionally fails to conceal" needs to be corrected to "intentionally displays".

Bladed
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bladed »

2firfun50 wrote:My biggest concern with this bill involves Pickett's committee where it was killed the first time. But, I'm not going to get my hopes up until the Governor adds gun bills to the special session.
That's just one of the reasons this bill has no chance of passing during the special session. A freshman legislator's unprecedented gun rights bill that couldn't make it out of committee during the regular session is highly unlikely to be added to a special session and certainly isn't going to pass in just two weeks. Texas Gun rights advocates would find it a better use of their time to pursue issues such as legalizing campus carry and criminalizing the posting of unenforceable 30.06 signs--issues that came close to passing during the regular session.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bladed wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:My biggest concern with this bill involves Pickett's committee where it was killed the first time. But, I'm not going to get my hopes up until the Governor adds gun bills to the special session.
That's just one of the reasons this bill has no chance of passing during the special session. A freshman legislator's unprecedented gun rights bill that couldn't make it out of committee during the regular session is highly unlikely to be added to a special session and certainly isn't going to pass in just two weeks. Texas Gun rights advocates would find it a better use of their time to pursue issues such as legalizing campus carry and criminalizing the posting of unenforceable 30.06 signs--issues that came close to passing during the regular session.
You're kidding right?
Have you looked at the composition of the TX legislature?
The R's outnumber the D's substantially.
Senate: R-19 ... D-12 (61% R)
House: R-95 ... D-55 (63% R)

The fact that this bill was killed in a D-controlled committee (where it was never even called for a vote by committee members) has little to zero bearing on whether it can pass the full legislature, especially if the bar is a simple majority.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Bladed wrote:
You're kidding right?

The fact that this bill was killed in a D-controlled committee (where it was never even called for a vote by committee members) has little to zero bearing on whether it can pass the full legislature, especially if the bar is a simple majority.
I like the way you think! All the gun bills have an excellent chance of passage IF we can get them to the floor for a vote.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Bladed wrote:
You're kidding right?

I'm guessing 2013 was the first session you closely followed the Texas Legislature--right?

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paperchunker »

Bladed wrote: (In thread on HB 34)
Bladed wrote:

I'm basing that analysis on two factors:

1. The session ends two weeks from Wednesday.
2. Controversial political announcements are typically made on Friday afternoons so as to minimize bad publicity.

The odds of passing a controversial gun bill in less than two weeks, even during a special session, are pretty slim, and announcing a controversial addition to the special session call during the first half of the week is pretty much guaranteed to meet with a maximum of negative press.
Since Abortion was added today, I'm thinking your analysis may not be correct. I will wait and see what Perry does.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Hoosier Daddy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

RoyGBiv wrote:You're kidding right?
:iagree:

If it doesn't become law, it's because the Republicans don't want it to be law.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

AggieLCP

Post by AggieLCP »

Message sent to Gov. Perry. :txflag:

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

paperchunker wrote:Bladed wrote: (In thread on HB 34)
Bladed wrote:

2. Controversial political announcements are typically made on Friday afternoons so as to minimize bad publicity.

The odds of passing a controversial gun bill in less than two weeks, even during a special session, are pretty slim, and announcing a controversial addition to the special session call during the first half of the week is pretty much guaranteed to meet with a maximum of negative press.
Since Abortion was added today, I'm thinking your analysis may not be correct. I will wait and see what Perry does.
Yes, that was surprising. I think Perry's camp is focused on salvaging something--anything--from what has been a generally unpopular and unproductive special session. Potentially, that could be enough to motivate him to add one or more gun issues to the call, but I'm still not optimistic. However, if he were to add a gun issue tomorrow (Wednesday), he would slide it in just before the two-weeks-to-go mark, which would indicate to me that he's trying to give it a real chance of passing.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Bladed wrote:
paperchunker wrote:Bladed wrote: (In thread on HB 34)
Bladed wrote:

Yes, that was surprising. I think Perry's camp is focused on salvaging something--anything--from what has been a generally unpopular and unproductive special session. Potentially, that could be enough to motivate him to add one or more gun issues to the call, but I'm still not optimistic. However, if he were to add a gun issue tomorrow (Wednesday), he would slide it in just before the two-weeks-to-go mark, which would indicate to me that he's trying to give it a real chance of passing.
The NRA just confirmed my suspicions--Perry doesn't plan to add any gun issues to the special session.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Texas: Campus Carry Will NOT Be on Special Session Call
"... important Second Amendment issues such as campus carry will NOT be included."
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... -call.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”