HB3142 Effective Immediately 6/14/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

HB3142 Effective Immediately 6/14/13

Post by jerry_r60 »

It looks like several of the bills we have been tracking here that passed at the end of the session have now either been signed by the Governor or passed the 20 day waiting period to become law by default. One thing i noticed on my updates is that HB 3142 Relating to handguns used to demonstrate proficiency in handgun use for purposes of obtaining a concealed handgun license, is not only signed by the Governor but it's one of those that goes into effect immediatly. This is the bill that removes the distinction between revolver vs semi-auto from the CHL.

Keith B

Re: HB3142 Effective Immediately 6/14/13

Post by Keith B »

It will not matter for 99%+ of the CHL's out there as they qualify with semi-autos. The ones we have had qualify NSA do so because that is all they want to carry, so doubt they would switch anyway. I do believe we have had a couple come back and change from NSA to SA, but that is out of thousands of students.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Keith B wrote:It will not matter for 99%+ of the CHL's out there as they qualify with semi-autos. The ones we have had qualify NSA do so because that is all they want to carry, so doubt they would switch anyway. I do believe we have had a couple come back and change from NSA to SA, but that is out of thousands of students.
I'm sure you are right, that it doesn't affect most people. I would guess that anyone expecxting to carry a revolver would still qualify with an SA just to have the option.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jerry_r60 wrote:
I'm sure you are right, that it doesn't affect most people. I would guess that anyone expecxting to carry a revolver would still qualify with an SA just to have the option.
Most do. Some who only own a revolver will borrow or rent an SA to shoot the qualification, even though they will only carry their revolver for now. I personally carry both, and sometimes both at the same time. The J-frame is easy to drop into a pocket of shorts during the summer.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

jerry_r60 wrote:I'm sure you are right, that it doesn't affect most people. I would guess that anyone expecxting to carry a revolver would still qualify with an SA just to have the option.
I think a lot of instructors recommend exactly that. When others were allowed to "help" students load magazines, rack the slide, and clear stoppages, the simple manual of arms of the revolver became irrelevant for testing purposes.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”