Another special session?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bladed
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Another special session?

Post by Bladed »

Maybe this could light a fire under Governor Perry to add campus carry to the special session:

UT student abducted, assaulted near campus

Residents of Austin's West Campus neighborhood pay a premium to live close enough to the UT campus to walk to and from class. If they're disarmed in class, they're disarmed on that walk through West Campus, where this crime occurred. A CHL holder walking back from a late-night study session at the campus library would be just as defenseless as this poor woman was.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

suthdj wrote:
JKTex wrote:I find it odd that there are still people that seem to be on deck to launch a recall campaign over gun rights bills. The Governor is the Governor of the entire state of Texas, not just the fraction of 1% of Texans that have CHL's that these bills would effect.

Sure, to us they're critical and in the grand scheme of things they important, but if 50% of the people that are impacted stood up and made noise, crickets would still be louder. In the grans scheme of things, if these issues aren't addressed, it's not going to change anything. I want a grocery list of things to get done, and think this seems like a good time to slip them through while all the colored hair costume wearing crazies are screaming in the Capitol these days, but I doubt it will. But I won't give up yet. :txflag: But I'm certainly not soaking the torches in kerosene. :mrgreen:

But yet abortion is important? From the chart at the bottom of this link http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/texas.html it says in 2008 there were 16.5 abortion per 1000 women, so if my math is correct that is 1.6% percent of women have an abortion, compared to 3-18% of all texans having a CHL. I fail to see his priorities. Maybe if Perry just came out and stated his reasons for this it might be a little easier to take but still does not change anything.
Its not. Its a sop to the Republican base, and he's about to announce he's running again. Nothing he's doing is based on the interests of Texans, but on his presidential hopes.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Post by nightmare69 »

[youtube][/youtube]
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:...Nothing he's doing is based on the interests of Texans, but on his presidential hopes.
Unless, of course, you include the interests of unborn Texans, in which case what he is doing is very much in their interests.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Pacifist wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:...Nothing he's doing is based on the interests of Texans, but on his presidential hopes.
Unless, of course, you include the interests of unborn Texans, in which case what he is doing is very much in their interests.

Nah, they don't vote. :rolll

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jason K »

If this is so important to him, why didn't he push this in 2011 or 2009? Why did he leave the state during the last SS instead of personally drumming up support for the bill?

Perry is good at giving lip service and signing his name, but he lacks the leadership needed to rally support. Texas needs better than Perry.

sunny beach
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sunny beach »

Lacking leadership is a polite way to say it. :cheers2:

JKTex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JKTex »

suthdj wrote:
JKTex wrote:I find it odd that there are still people that seem to be on deck to launch a recall campaign over gun rights bills. The Governor is the Governor of the entire state of Texas, not just the fraction of 1% of Texans that have CHL's that these bills would effect.

Sure, to us they're critical and in the grand scheme of things they important, but if 50% of the people that are impacted stood up and made noise, crickets would still be louder. In the grans scheme of things, if these issues aren't addressed, it's not going to change anything. I want a grocery list of things to get done, and think this seems like a good time to slip them through while all the colored hair costume wearing crazies are screaming in the Capitol these days, but I doubt it will. But I won't give up yet. :txflag: But I'm certainly not soaking the torches in kerosene. :mrgreen:

But yet abortion is important? From the chart at the bottom of this link http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/texas.html it says in 2008 there were 16.5 abortion per 1000 women, so if my math is correct that is 1.6% percent of women have an abortion, compared to 3-18% of all texans having a CHL. I fail to see his priorities. Maybe if Perry just came out and stated his reasons for this it might be a little easier to take but still does not change anything.
You can't be serious? :headscratch It's obvious you're not a liberal politician or with the Media, otherwise you'd be a whole lot better at manipulating/destroying statistics. :mrgreen:

But let's check your math. 3-18% of Texans with CHL's? That's a massive spread and even 3% way high. There are roughly 600k CHL's issued and about 28 MILLION Texans. Abortion, as much of a political issue as it is and I'm not taking the topic there, directly impacts every female of childbearing age at minimum (15-44), which is about 5.8 million. Obviously that age range is pretty tight so the number is light.

In really rough and very simple numbers, Legislation that impacts CHL holders impacts about .02% of Texans and Legislation pertaining abortion impacts about 21% of Texans.

That should make the issue a little more clear even if I'm off with numbers.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JKTex »

Jason K wrote:If this is so important to him, why didn't he push this in 2011 or 2009? Why did he leave the state during the last SS instead of personally drumming up support for the bill?

Perry is good at giving lip service and signing his name, but he lacks the leadership needed to rally support. Texas needs better than Perry.
Push what? If there's no bill, he has nothing to push.

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JJVP »

JKTex wrote:
Jason K wrote:If this is so important to him, why didn't he push this in 2011 or 2009? Why did he leave the state during the last SS instead of personally drumming up support for the bill?

Push what? If there's no bill, he has nothing to push.

How about any of these.

SB9- campus carry
SB16- invalid 30.06 posting on public property
HB12-prohibiting firearms & firearms components made & sold in Texas from federal regulation
HB15- prohibiting state/local authorities from enforcing federal anti-2a laws[/quote]
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

SherwoodForest

Post by SherwoodForest »

The Libertarian Party is looking better and better to me.

TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TREKFAN »

SherwoodForest wrote:The Libertarian Party is looking better and better to me.
:iagree:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by GEM-Texas »

Yep, we don't need the government in our wallets, holsters, religions or crotch. Nor recording every phone call or internet message.

Amazing how some only want to protect a subset of liberty but are tyrants on other domains.

Rick, Bloomberg - take your pick - choose how they want to control you.

TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TREKFAN »

Office space boss voice* if you could just keep government out of our bedrooms and wallets, maybe control your spending and not turn the world against us. Tha'd be greeaaat. Thanks.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”