Another special session?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Another special session?

Post by suthdj »

JKTex wrote:
suthdj wrote:
JKTex wrote:I find it odd that there are still people that seem to be on deck to launch a recall campaign over gun rights bills. The Governor is the Governor of the entire state of Texas, not just the fraction of 1% of Texans that have CHL's that these bills would effect.

Sure, to us they're critical and in the grand scheme of things they important, but if 50% of the people that are impacted stood up and made noise, crickets would still be louder. In the grans scheme of things, if these issues aren't addressed, it's not going to change anything. I want a grocery list of things to get done, and think this seems like a good time to slip them through while all the colored hair costume wearing crazies are screaming in the Capitol these days, but I doubt it will. But I won't give up yet. :txflag: But I'm certainly not soaking the torches in kerosene. :mrgreen:

But yet abortion is important? From the chart at the bottom of this link http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/texas.html it says in 2008 there were 16.5 abortion per 1000 women, so if my math is correct that is 1.6% percent of women have an abortion, compared to 3-18% of all texans having a CHL. I fail to see his priorities. Maybe if Perry just came out and stated his reasons for this it might be a little easier to take but still does not change anything.
You can't be serious? :headscratch It's obvious you're not a liberal politician or with the Media, otherwise you'd be a whole lot better at manipulating/destroying statistics. :mrgreen:

But let's check your math. 3-18% of Texans with CHL's? That's a massive spread and even 3% way high. There are roughly 600k CHL's issued and about 28 MILLION Texans. Abortion, as much of a political issue as it is and I'm not taking the topic there, directly impacts every female of childbearing age at minimum (15-44), which is about 5.8 million. Obviously that age range is pretty tight so the number is light.

In really rough and very simple numbers, Legislation that impacts CHL holders impacts about .02% of Texans and Legislation pertaining abortion impacts about 21% of Texans.

That should make the issue a little more clear even if I'm off with numbers.

well you are right I went back and checked and it was sub 1% to 14% but we will use your math 600K CHL holders and by the census website there are 26+M ppl in Texas 50.3% are female so 13M we won't care about age as this law will affect future women right. Now to keep apple as close to apples as I can since we will only be looking at CHL holders (600K) then we can only look at the percentage of women(1.6%) that get abortions right, only fare. Now I will let somebody else do the math if they want but by my numbers CHL holders still outnumber women that get abortions. Now if you want to compare all women that could get a abortion to all people that could get a CHL that is ok also.

Now I think we can both agree we will never agree on this topic as for me CHL is more important I am a guy and I am not pro-life or pro-choice I am "pro-mind my own business about somebody else's life choices" ya I know a little long.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

05yuk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 05yuk »

Since Perry just announced he is not running again does anyone think there is a chance he will add campus carry? Or is he afraid to do it thinking it may hurt his chance for the white house?

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jason K »

As a lame duck, I doubt he'll do much of anything other than prepare for his next POTUS run....

...good news for Abbott & the governor's race, though.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

GEM-Texas wrote:Yep, we don't need the government in our wallets, holsters, religions or crotch. Nor recording every phone call or internet message.

Amazing how some only want to protect a subset of liberty but are tyrants on other domains.

Rick, Bloomberg - take your pick - choose how they want to control you.
:iagree:

fickman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fickman »

The government should protect innocent life.

That includes the expansion of CHL rights and the limiting of elective abortion whenever and wherever possible.
Native Texian

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

05yuk wrote:Since Perry just announced he is not running again does anyone think there is a chance he will add campus carry?
I think we're already seeing how he really feels about gun rights for the common man, now that he doesn't have to worry about being reelected.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

race4beer

Post by race4beer »

What about SB21 that was introduced into this special session?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These items were stricken:

[(4)AAon the premises of a hospital licensed under
Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing
home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the
license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing
home administration, as appropriate;
[(5)AAin an amusement park; or
[(6)AAon the premises of a church, synagogue, or other
established place of religious worship].

This has an added statement: (added in Green)
AA license holder commits an offense if the license
holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a
governmental entity, unless the license holder has not received
effective notice under Section 30.06.

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

race4beer wrote:What about SB21 that was introduced into this special session?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These items were stricken:

[(4)AAon the premises of a hospital licensed under
Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing
home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the
license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing
home administration, as appropriate;
[(5)AAin an amusement park; or
[(6)AAon the premises of a church, synagogue, or other
established place of religious worship].

This has an added statement: (added in Green)
AA license holder commits an offense if the license
holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a
governmental entity, unless the license holder has not received
effective notice under Section 30.06.
As has been said before, does not matter what is introduced unless the Gov. adds it to the call. As the Gov. has done absolutely nothing to aid the passage of any pro-2nd Amendment legislation in the regular session or put such matters in the call for the first special session, I am not sure why anyone expects him to do anything in this session.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:Yep, we don't need the government in our wallets, holsters, religions or crotch. Nor recording every phone call or internet message.

Amazing how some only want to protect a subset of liberty but are tyrants on other domains.

Seems like a fairly libertarian viewpoint. So, if we were to actually through some miracle chance to get the government out of all of those things, can we get them to stop taxing us to pay for all of it, too? And make people who want to do that stuff pay for it themselves?

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Seems like a fairly libertarian viewpoint. So, if we were to actually through some miracle chance to get the government out of all of those things, can we get them to stop taxing us to pay for all of it, too? And make people who want to do that stuff pay for it themselves?
Agree. Freedom means being free to make your own choices, both good and bad. But it also means I am free to not be forced into paying for your choices or the damage that results from your choices.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Max1775

Post by Max1775 »

fickman wrote:The government should protect innocent life.

That includes the expansion of CHL rights and the limiting of elective abortion whenever and wherever possible.
I could not agree more...

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by GEM-Texas »

http://chronicle.com/article/2-States-E ... _medium=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campus carry seems to be mostly a flop - even laws that allow it give discretion to the schools (what a surprise). Thanks, Rick - for you support - once again.

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SherwoodForest »

Now if the Texas Republicans will show some grit with campus carry issue like they have with the abortion restriction I'll be impressed.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

From someone who has a CHL and works on a college campus - not sure I support campus carry. I have heard all the arguments for it but believe me there are just as many against it. Not sure I like the idea of 21 year old men having ready access to firearms. Arguments over girls already result in fights - what would adding potential firearms to the mix do. Before someone comes back about how responsible CHL holders are just remember the dumb incidents that have been posted about irresponsible CHL holders.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 6

Post by nightmare69 »

OldGrumpy wrote:From someone who has a CHL and works on a college campus - not sure I support campus carry. I have heard all the arguments for it but believe me there are just as many against it. Not sure I like the idea of 21 year old men having ready access to firearms. Arguments over girls already result in fights - what would adding potential firearms to the mix do. Before someone comes back about how responsible CHL holders are just remember the dumb incidents that have been posted about irresponsible CHL holders.
So you are saying you don't mind these 21yr olds with CHL to carry but not at college? You sound like the libs who think if they let us carry in a K-12 school we instantly become insane child killers. Our local college allows campus carry already, you have a CHL you can carry just abide by all the state laws and you are good to go. They have been doing this for years and NEVER had a issue that Im aware of. Lots of 18-25 yr olds go to this school.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”