Another special session?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Another special session?

Postby 2firfun50 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am

What do you think? If Wendy Davis is successful today, will Perry call another special session and maybe give us one more bite at the apple? As an old tank commander, I don't give up until the .50 won't bark any more.


Panda
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Another special session?

Postby Panda » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Perry is all talk.


IlliniBill
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Another special session?

Postby IlliniBill » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Panda wrote:Perry is all talk.

Exactly. I think this entire abortion bill is just political theater. The whole purpose is for Perry to get some national news to polish his conservative credentials with the anti-abortion crowd. I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong if he calls a 2nd session, but I don't think it is going to happen.


Topic author
2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Re: Another special session?

Postby 2firfun50 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:13 pm

2firfun50 wrote:What do you think? If Wendy Davis is successful today, will Perry call another special session and maybe give us one more bite at the apple? As an old tank commander, I don't give up until the .50 won't bark any more.


Let us not forget that a successful filibuster will also kill SJR 2 funding state highways, and SB23. The loss of SB23 will leave us without a punishment for 17 yr old capital murders. The article I read said there are 18 in the state. SCOTUS has already ruled that sentencing 17 yr olds to death or life in prison without parole as unconstitutional.

A second special session to make political hay may just backfire.


Jason K
Banned
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am
Location: Close to Waco....but not too close.

Re: Another special session?

Postby Jason K » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Panda wrote:Perry is all talk.


Agreed. He'll shrug, say "I tried", & go back to planning his next POTUS run.....


SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Another special session?

Postby SewTexas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't know...they just said that transportation funding hasn't been addressed either, so it could happen

(I speculated last week we'd have a 2nd session :waiting: )
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


Jeff Barriault
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 pm
Location: Santa Fe
Contact:

Re: Another special session?

Postby Jeff Barriault » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 am

David Dewhurst wrote:Unless I’m misreading him, we’re going to be called back in. There are certain items on this call that he shared with me that are a must pass.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/06/dewhurst-second-special-session-likley-unless-certain-items-pass/

I wonder if SB23, the Teen Capital Murder Bill is on that list?


Topic author
2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Re: Another special session?

Postby 2firfun50 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am

Jeff Barriault wrote:
David Dewhurst wrote:Unless I’m misreading him, we’re going to be called back in. There are certain items on this call that he shared with me that are a must pass.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/06/dewhurst-second-special-session-likley-unless-certain-items-pass/

I wonder if SB23, the Teen Capital Murder Bill is on that list?


A second session is necessary to address the 17 yr old punishment issue at a minimum. We have 2 awaiting trial right now. Without the legislative fix, they could be set free due to speedy trial issues.

I also think we know that funding for roads is really important for all Texans.

If we could put 800 people in Perry's office, we might just get our bills added. :tiphat:

User avatar

fickman
Senior Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Another special session?

Postby fickman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:14 am

I was impressed with Dewhurst yesterday. I think the fight with Cruz helped him find his backbone a little and he's realized he needs to be more out front and vocal for conservatism. Back then, I honestly thought they were pretty similar in their beliefs, but Cruz has a rude abruptness to him that I felt sent a better message.

I'd love to see another session. . . and as much as I want gun bills added, after the fight we just witnessed. . . I doubt they can pass two contentious bills. Still, I can dream. At the end of the day, though, the bill they tried to get done yesterday was much more significantly transformational than any of the gun bills that got overlooked this year - if I had to pick one, I hope they revive the wording from SB5 and do it right this time.
Last edited by fickman on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Native Texian


Topic author
2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Re: Another special session?

Postby 2firfun50 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

fickman wrote:I was impressed with Dewhurst yesterday. I think the fight with Cruz helped him find his backbone a little and he's realized he needs to be more out front and vocal for conservatism. Back then, I honestly thought they were pretty similar in their beliefs, but Cruz has a rude abruptness to him that I felt sent a better message.

I'd love to see another session. . . and as much as I want gun bills added, after the fight we just witnessed. . . I doubt they can pass too contentious bills. Still, I can dream. At the end of the day, though, the bill they tried to get done yesterday was much more significantly transformational than any of the gun bills that got overlooked this year - if I had to pick one, I hope they revive the wording from SB5 and do it right this time.


I too was impresses with Dewhurst. He stood up for conservative values and made the right constitutional decision at the end. I don't see the sign bill (old HB508) has being controversial at all. Campus Carry on the other hand, could be fun. I don't think Open Carry will happen.


nobius
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Another special session?

Postby nobius » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 pm

RT @TXPoliticsBlog Perry calls for a second special session, starting Monday. Issues on the call: abortion, transportation, capital punishment.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... -the-call/

User avatar

fickman
Senior Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Another special session?

Postby fickman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 pm

:smash:
nobius wrote:RT @TXPoliticsBlog Perry calls for a second special session, starting Monday. Issues on the call: abortion, transportation, capital punishment.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... -the-call/
Native Texian


Topic author
2firfun50
Senior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Little Elm Tx
Contact:

Re: Another special session?

Postby 2firfun50 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:43 pm

nobius wrote:RT @TXPoliticsBlog Perry calls for a second special session, starting Monday. Issues on the call: abortion, transportation, capital punishment.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... -the-call/


So where do we go from here? Do we fold our tent and ride off into the sunset, or do we focus our efforts on getting the old HB508 back on the special session?


OldGrumpy
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 am
Location: DFW Metroplex

Re: Another special session?

Postby OldGrumpy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 pm

How about if Perry calls another Special Session for those items not completed because of the filibuster, and then throws in a couple of other new items favored by conservatives just to do an "in your face liberals!"
:patriot: :txflag:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

User avatar

fickman
Senior Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Another special session?

Postby fickman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

OldGrumpy wrote:How about if Perry calls another Special Session for those items not completed because of the filibuster, and then throws in a couple of other new items favored by conservatives just to do an "in your face liberals!"
:patriot: :txflag:

I had the exact same thought!

Let's add in a gun bill and name a freeway after Rush Limbaugh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Native Texian


Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest