NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

User avatar

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Senior Member
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Katy

NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby Lumberjack98 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:13 pm

My oldest son has recently moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. :woohoo The troop he joined has a couple of shooting (sporting clays and rifle) events a year. Boy Scouts of America (BSA) requires a certain number of instructors and RSO's for the events. Currently there is one instructor and three RSOs (including myself) among the parents. We will be losing a couple of RSOs this year, but we have an RSO training already planned. Per the BSA website, the closest training that will occur in 2018 is in Dallas on April 27-29. None of us can attend this. Does anyone know if there are NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Course instructors for this around the Houston area that we could contact about setting up a class?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby twomillenium » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Senior Member
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Katy

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby Lumberjack98 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:41 pm

twomillenium wrote:Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)


I tried that and there are a few in San Antonio and Argyle coming up, but once I check the BSA box the search comes back with zero.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

User avatar

superchief
Senior Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: Greater Fort Worth Megaplex

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby superchief » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 pm

I may be mistaken,but i think the course is the same for all students. the BSA designation (again, I think) is just an indicator that the course is offered at a significant discount. For example, when I took my RSO class, it was $25. The condition for getting accepted into the course was that we (non-BSA folks) agree to volunteer for 2 events. The instructor had the list of upcoming events ready to go.

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby Scott B. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm

We had 2 or 3 BSA guys in both our rifle and the shotgun instructor's courses when I went through them.
LTC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby twomillenium » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 am

Lumberjack98 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)


I tried that and there are a few in San Antonio and Argyle coming up, but once I check the BSA box the search comes back with zero.

I checked also, found nothing close that was scheduled. I have an NRA RSO rating and would be willing to help, if needed, if I were able to schedule it. Let me know.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Senior Member
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Katy

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Postby Lumberjack98 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 am

twomillenium wrote:I checked also, found nothing close that was scheduled. I have an NRA RSO rating and would be willing to help, if needed, if I were able to schedule it. Let me know.


That's very generous, thank you!

superchief wrote:I may be mistaken,but i think the course is the same for all students. the BSA designation (again, I think) is just an indicator that the course is offered at a significant discount. For example, when I took my RSO class, it was $25. The condition for getting accepted into the course was that we (non-BSA folks) agree to volunteer for 2 events. The instructor had the list of upcoming events ready to go.


That's good information. I thought maybe there was something different about the training.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests