Hoffner Intermediate pistol (Victoria)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 2

Hoffner Intermediate pistol (Victoria)

Post by Bill »

As you all know, I am a terrible writer, but here goes.
I took this class mainly for the low light and sniper pistol. I have taken more advanced classes of pistol, BUT it has been awhile and repetition never hurt anyone.
This was held at Dr Tobin Ranch Range, what a nice place, and thanks DOC
Sat: Hoffner did a class overview going over safety and his courseology. Saturday was mostly drills on speed and getting the hits, kinda standard drills. We discussed flashlight usage as Sunday morning we got to work a low light/no light building.
Sun: we met at Dr Tobins range at 4am and practiced clearing a building with all sorts of junk in the way. This was a real eye opener in his methods are always correct and useful. Slicing the pie as we approach the door threshold and using his methods to clear. It was fun
The rest of the day we did more moving shooter practice, which I feel is overlooked by most CHLer who only practice at ranges that are only stationary shooting allowed.
We shot about 700-800 rounds , there were 13 shooters, mostly middle age 40-50. There was one woman who won the shooting contest (way to humble the men)
Brain Hoffner is a great teacher and very safe, he is very supportive of your effort and really enjoys instructing. I plan on becoming a Hoffner Instructor this year., at least in Pistol and Rifle. I have to go and cook dinner, I will be back and post a few pics and a little more descriptions.
Last edited by Bill on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired CHL Instructor

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hoffner Intermediate pistol (Victoria)

Post by longtooth »

I will be interested in the pics. :waiting:
I also think your writing is fine. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Thanks for the review Bill. I have been looking for such a course. Except for the 4:00AM part. :cry:
NRA Endowment Member

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Bill wrote:We discussed flashlight usage as Sunday morning we got to work a low light/no light building.
Sun: we met at Dr Tobins range at 4am and practiced clearing a building with all sorts of junk in the way. This was a real eye opener in his methods are always correct and useful. Slicing the pie as we approach the door threshold and using his methods to clear. It was fun
The rest of the day we did more moving shooter practice, which I feel is overlooked by most CHLer who only practice at ranges that are only stationary shooting allowed.
Thanks for the review!

What flashlight methods did you work on? Was the moving shooter practice, you moving/shooting on a stationary target or a moving target?

I am looking forward to the pics.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bill »

Yea, the 4am part was a little tough, although we had an early dinner Sat eve and was in bed at 9pm asleep.
Some flashlight info
1. when entering a threshold watch your backlighting, the bad guy can see everything you are doing. To prevent this stand back from the doorway as you scan/light
2. Use the light only for a second then off, as you sweep the entry, also vary the position of the beam, mix it up as this makes it hard to tell just were you are and how many of you.
2a. As you scan you only move little by little into his sight picture reducing his target area, while sweeping with your light. You have to clear the area behind the door as you approach.
3. As you have made the threshold you still have deep corners down the wall to your left, do not go in but put your arm flat on the threshold and turn the light on for a second hopefully blinding anyone down the wall. After a few seconds do this again, then a few moments later you can breach the corner for a look but be very fast, and if you did not get a good sight picture, repeat but not at the same level.

Most of this is common sense but we just don't think or train for it. Don't be the night watchman!!!

Just back in from work. I wanted to add a few things that we worked on
1. Flashlight at the range, we practiced with several different hand holds and distance, firing and moving. I think some like to cross hand support others side by side support. We did see the importance of having a lanyard for your light around your wrist. If you have a type 3 malfunction you will probably drop your light in a fight, so have a wrist lanyard, you may be able to use it in a fight
I may not have emphasized this enough but after warming up it , we always MOVE OFF THE X. This will most always buy you 1-2 seconds, scan, scan, scan.
retired CHL Instructor

Return to “General”