Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas - UPDATE!!

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Braden
Posts in topic: 3

Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas - UPDATE!!

Post by Braden »

I have never attended a class at this place, but I will be attending a Beginner Combat Handgun course there in April. It came highly recommended to me from some folks at Glock Talk, so I thought I'd share it over here.

I'll give a full report on my opinions on the course I'll be taking just as soon as it's over. In the meantime, if you're in the DFW area and looking for a place that offers training then this might be worth trying out.

http://www.weaponsacademy.com
Last edited by Braden on Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Sounds interesting. I did notice several misspelled words on their website though which, being in the field, really bugs me.

I'll be watching with interest for your report. Are you in the April 9th class?

Topic author
Braden

Post by Braden »

Yeah, the April 9 class.

I noticed some misspelled words as well. I'm hoping that their courses are better than their website. :)

They also offer an Advanced Combat Handgun course and a Defensive Pistol course....both of which I've heard good things about. If I enjoy the first class, I may sign up for those other two the next time they offer them.

Topic author
Braden

Post by Braden »

Today I took the Combat Handgun course at the Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas (S.W.A.T.).

Aside from covering the basic safety rules and the fundamentals of proper shooting, the following drills were taught and practiced:

- One Hand Point Shooting
- Close Quarters Defense
- Drawing from Concealment
- Drug and Armor Drills
- Speed Reloading
- Malfunction Drills
- Support Hand Shooting
- Strong Arm Disabled Drills

This was my first formal training session and it was well worth the $80 that they charged for it. I learned a lot.

S.W.A.T. considered this to be a beginner/intermediate class, and I highly recommend it to anyone who considers themselves to be a beginner/intermediate shooter.

We did drills for things that I had never even thought of practicing before...like one hand reloading and malfunction clearing with the weak hand (support hand)....which we did during the strong arm disabled drills. I had practiced shooting one handed with both my strong arm and my weak arm, but the thought had never occured to me to try to DRAW my weapon from concealment using only my weak arm...or doing the "tap, rack, bang" using only my weak arm...or reloading with only the weak arm. That, for me, was probably the biggest benefit of taking the class.

All of it was good. I learned a lot and, while I certainly don't consider myself an expert now, I feel much more capable of protecting myself or my family with my firearm. I THOUGHT I was capable before, but I never realized how much I DIDN'T know until I took this class. I can't wait for the ADVANCED course!! ;f

I thought I'd share my experience with this school for anyone thinking of training with them. I definitely recommend them....especially to those living in the DFW area.

Click Here
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

waffenmacht
Posts in topic: 1

Post by waffenmacht »

Braden, I took this class in March of 06. This was my 2nd time taking the course, and I also found it very informative. Richard ray (instructor) is a great guy, and was very patient with some of the "newer" shooters. I can't wait for SWAT to offer an advanced couse.
-Bruce

sfmedic61

Got to call bull where I see it:

Post by sfmedic61 »

DELETED

Please read the mission statement in the Announcements Section.

Posting one's experience in a course is fine, even if it wasn't a particularly good experience, so long as it doesn't degenerate into a personal attack on an individual(s) or a company. Invariably, such posts lead to a swearing match, as has already happened with this one. I know from personal experience on this forum and it resulted in me over-reacting and banning someone unjustifiably. I reinstated this person and publically apologized for my over-reaction and explained by reasoning, but this person's participation has never been the same since and he's a good guy.

Perhaps this is being overly cautious, but I don't want a repeat performance.

Regards,
Chas.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

sfmedic - were you on an ODA?

My dad was in the 10th Group back in the day and got to do some pretty high speed stuff.

That's were he got his addiction to jumping out of airplanes which he still does today recreationally. One of his old friends was an SF team medic, full blown MD now.

Just curious,

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

sfmedic61

Post by sfmedic61 »

Nick,

Yes, ODA, 3rd/5th, but it doesnt mean I'll let impersonators off with a light warning like some. 18D is the way to go, best education you can get

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

sfmedic61 wrote:18D is the way to go, best education you can get
Big +1.

I was going to get an army contract while I was in the corps of cadets but was medically DQ'ed because I had asthma in my past (no longer though).

Kinda stinks but oh well. I was made to do something different.

Question... why is your first post tearing up something respected by other members?

They are better ways to get in with the forum crowd.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General”