Blackwater

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
WNallG30
Posts in topic: 2

Blackwater

Post by WNallG30 »

I think it's a sign when the same word or subject comes up too many times in a short period of time. It seems recently that "Blackwater" has come up alot recently around me. I've heard it in passing from a few people and even my father-in-law said he heard about it and knew I like shooting and wondered what it was. And then, to top it off, I got the new American Handgunner magazine and read the article on the special Blackwater edition P226. Has anyone taken a course at Blackwater before. I've been checking out their site all morning and I think I'm going to try to take a class next spring or summer. I'd like to start with the Basic Pistol course, then take a carbine class too. It looks awesome! I'm really interested to see how 300's Gunsite course goes too. I've never really looked into advanced training before, but it's sure looking like something I'd be interested in. Let me know how classes some of you guys have been to were.

therooster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by therooster »

blackwater and gunsite are two completely different forms of training.

blackwater is going to be military/combat shooting/fighting.

gunsite is going to be defensive/"real world" shooting/fighting.

i have trained with 3 former instructors at gunsite. this is a paraphrased version of what all 3 said: "since gunsite has changed ownership, their priorities have changed; getting a good class all depends on what instructor you get. its about 50/50 whether you get a good one or a bad one."

quite a few of my shooting buddies have attended blackwater. they know 2 of the fulltime instructors there so they got some special treatment, but they said its an awsome facility and very fun.
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

Topic author
WNallG30
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WNallG30 »

Good to know, thanks Rooster. I'll wait to hear back from 300 before starting to make any plans. Anyone else have some experience?

Return to “General”