Training roadmap

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
silverbear
Posts in topic: 4

Training roadmap

Post by silverbear »

Hi all,

I have never had any type of formal handgun training. As I will be getting my CHL soon, I plan on regular practice session and would like make sure I correct any bad form and move forward with correct grip, stance, etc.

I would like to get some thoughts on a handgun training road map for myself as well as instructors available in the Clear Lake / Seabrook / Kemah area of town. If you're an instructor, please feel free to IM me.

Thanks!
I support the right to arm bears.

Trinitite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Training roadmap

Post by Trinitite »

It depends on your goals. It's hard to make a roadmap without a destination.

I suggest getting involved in IDPA or a similar game and treat it more like training than a game. I also think it's a good idea to get training in handgun retention and other CQB type skills, but I don't think that has to be with the ubertactical crowd unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Topic author
silverbear

Post by silverbear »

Trinitite wrote:It depends on your goals. It's hard to make a roadmap without a destination.

I suggest getting involved in IDPA or a similar game and treat it more like training than a game. I also think it's a good idea to get training in handgun retention and other CQB type skills, but I don't think that has to be with the ubertactical crowd unless you enjoy that kind of thing.
First goal would be correct form, grip, stance, etc. as I would like to be proficient in using my hand guns. Second would stuff like IDPA - that looks like a lot (alot ;-) ) of fun.

Topic author
silverbear

Post by silverbear »

dcphoto wrote:Check out this link.

http://www.krtraining.com/whatclass.html
Thanks for that. Looking for something a little closer to home.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

You have some good resources close by, if you are not already aware.

PSC in Friendswood periodically offers training in NRA-sanctioned curricula, such as Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses (one is Inside the Home, the other is Outside the Home). Look into those. The same folks also handle some well-run IPDA competitions.

Topic author
silverbear

Post by silverbear »

yerasimos wrote:You have some good resources close by, if you are not already aware.

PSC in Friendswood periodically offers training in NRA-sanctioned curricula, such as Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses (one is Inside the Home, the other is Outside the Home). Look into those. The same folks also handle some well-run IPDA competitions.

Will do that - thanks! I was hoping to attend new member presentation this month.

oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

silverbear wrote:Hi all,

I have never had any type of formal handgun training. As I will be getting my CHL soon, I plan on regular practice session and would like make sure I correct any bad form and move forward with correct grip, stance, etc.

I would like to get some thoughts on a handgun training road map for myself as well as instructors available in the Clear Lake / Seabrook / Kemah area of town. If you're an instructor, please feel free to IM me.

Thanks!
This is great that you are thinking about personal security training and how you should approach it. I wish that I had looked it the whole training thing systematically when I (again)started carrying a handgun and taking my personal security more seriously a decade back. I've taken three handgun classes, a Force on Force class, some formal rifle instruction, and SouthNarc's Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC) class. I train by myself about 1-4 times a month.

I can give you my thoughts on this. If I were interested in improving my personal security and starting out in training I'd first take a hard look at my personal habits and how vulnerable they made me to crime. Here I'm talking about things like: hanging out at bars, being out at night, spending a lot of time in high-crime areas, associating with criminals, etc.

Then I'd look for a class that taught me how criminals act, how they victimize people, and how we can avoid/deter such assaults. This I think is the most important type of training to start with. It lays a foundation for everything that follows.

Then I'd look for the following: a basic handgun fighting course, a medical course (that trains you how to deal with gunshot wounds, knife cuts, shock, etc), a basic unarmed combat class that teaches how to block a criminal's assault and strike back at extremely close range, a conditioning program, and a Force on Force (FoF) class that helps you begin to develop good decision-making skills under stress.

Then I'd look for a home security/defense class, a low light level fighting/shooting class (because most criminal assaults happen in limited visibility), and more challenging FoF. If you decide to carry a knife, I'd throw in a class that taught you how to use it.

As far as picking instructors, try to find ones that integrate skills and tools and place them in the context of a realistic environment for you. For example if you're a private citizen who will act alone to protect himself, and the instructor wants to train you to clear rooms as part of a SWAT team, he's wasting your time and money.

I started out taking three handgun shooting classes before I found out how criminals operate. This was stupid on my part. I didn't do a FoF class until I'd been training more-or-less seriously for five years, another big mistake. FoF taught me that operating a gun is easy, but deciding when to use it is hard. FoF and Southnarc's PUC class began to train me how to interact with strangers in a way that protected my security without being provocative.

Just my thoughts.

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

silverbear wrote:
dcphoto wrote:Check out this link.

http://www.krtraining.com/whatclass.html
Thanks for that. Looking for something a little closer to home.

http://www.argenttraining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AFAIK, Mr. Argent does most of his training courses at PSC. Not very far from you at all.
Start with the NRA basic pistol. Consider taking some private instruction to hone your pistol skills. Also, the NRA home and outside the home personal defense classes.
Once you've got that, your CHL, and a few thousand rounds under your belt, start asking about more advanced courses. You might have to travel to take a real good one. Thunder Ranch comes immediately to mind.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Go see Paul Howe at CSAT after the basics are cleared out
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I am afraid to go to this upcoming PSC event for the forum. I just KNOW that everyone will realize that I don't know my tush from a handbag when it comes to shooting pistols. I figure that the seminars will be a big help for providing some correction to my bad-habits.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Trinitite wrote:It depends on your goals. It's hard to make a roadmap without a destination.

:iagree: Like a degree plan for college, what do you want to major in?
competitive shooting? if so, what type?
self defense?
etc
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General”