Defensive Tactics in Churches

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Rick343
Posts in topic: 2

Defensive Tactics in Churches

Post by Rick343 »

Our church is taking a pro active roll in defending our congregation from possible outside threats of violence. There are 4 to 5 of us that are prior military and have a CHL and we all know our way around weapons and can handle our personnal defence weapons. What I want to know, is there any one teaching defensive tactics when it comes to churches and related places where people congregate? We are located in the San Angelo area. We are committed to this but don't know how to go about getting set up, we need some direction. Thanks.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Defensive Tactics in Churches

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Contact our member Excaliber through his website at http://www.excalibersecurityservices.com. He teaches seminars on, among other topics, active shooter scenarios and managing security in houses of worship.

I will vouch for the thoroughness of his knowledge and experience.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BrianSW99 »

You may already be aware of this but if not, keep in mind that if you are forming in any way an official or organized "security team", you are not legally allowed to carry a handgun without a commissioned security guard license, even if you have a CHL.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BrianSW99 wrote:You may already be aware of this but if not, keep in mind that if you are forming in any way an official or organized "security team", you are not legally allowed to carry a handgun without a commissioned security guard license, even if you have a CHL.
Exactly. However, I am fairly certain that if you are organizing a group of concerned congregants without official sanction, even if the church's leadership is aware of it, that is not a problem for CHL.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Rick343

Post by Rick343 »

We are in the process of getting organized. Like I said, we have 5 church members with CHL who are willing to take part in this. The pastor and church officials know what we are planning and are in complete agreement we need to have some kind of plan. My knowledge in this area is very limited, that is why I am asking where to go and what we need to know.

secure

Post by secure »

While we do not train in your area, we do offer the same types of training that you are looking for to equip the team with the necessary skills.
We have trained staff at quite a few local churches in situational awareness, incident response, active shooter situations, as well as taser training.
Kudos to you guys for seeking out the necessary training. Churches in our area are now hiring off duty officers to police the kids areas too. This is a great step toward a layered security model but the staff in the sanctuary and foyer/lobby are crucial also. Train train train!

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I believe our member, Longtooth, also does that kind of training.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

TXlaw1

Post by TXlaw1 »

Rick343 wrote:We are in the process of getting organized. Like I said, we have 5 church members with CHL who are willing to take part in this. The pastor and church officials know what we are planning and are in complete agreement we need to have some kind of plan. My knowledge in this area is very limited, that is why I am asking where to go and what we need to know.
I'm glad to see you and your friends are doing this to protect your fellow congregants - with the understanding and sanction of the pastor and church officials - and planning on getting specific training.

I would hope that this would not lead to a decision by the church leadership to try to prevent other CHL holders from carrying in their church. I know of one very large church that intimidated people who they thought were carrying who were not part of the "team" with some sad consequences. I think every CHL holder should be able to exercise both their right to worship and their right to keep and bear arms and be available if a BG, terrorist or other threatens.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Crossfire wrote:I believe our member, Longtooth, also does that kind of training.

Yes I do. I dont know where you are located but if I can help I will be more than glad to.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General”