How do you train?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

How do you train?

Post by MoJo »

I shoot two to three IDPA matches a month along with one day a week at the range. I also read stoppingpower.net daily. there is a wealth of knowledge there on subjects ranging from what ammo to use to how to survive a gunfight.

I think gun handling skills are important but, mental preparidness and situational awareness will keep you out of a gunfight.

The only gunfight you win is the one you avoid.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Been doing a pretty decent job of avoidance for the last several years.

Am a firm believer that if you go looking for trouble, you WILL find it.

Unfortunately, our little indoor range is not conducive to IDPA matches or much movement beyond draw and fire on various BG targets.

Most recent "ongoing training" was last week - with shotgun and qualie birds, who still give me lessons in humility. :oops:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Most of what I do is manipulation practice using a pistol and magazines loaded with dummy rounds - practicing presentations with both hands and one hand, slide lock and tactical loads, reloading, as well as clearing malfunctions, one-handed, using either hand.

I also practice working corners, "slicing the pie", both sides, working against a mirror to check my form - one of the guys I work with had noticed that I had picked up the habit of cocking my head too much, so that the top of my head was the first thing which became visible. That isn't a good thing, and I'm working on correcting it.

My actual range time is spent doing stuff I suck at, like shooting while moving using one hand. If I shoot well, I know that I wasted my time by doing something I already know how to do well.

For safety reasons, I'm never going to be tasked with clearing malfunctions or reloading one-handed at a match - but I might well have to do that in a real fight. You only have to practice the things you want to be good at.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Return to “General”