ShivWorks PUC/ECQC1-2, Texas Oct. 15-17

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 6

ShivWorks PUC/ECQC1-2, Texas Oct. 15-17

Post by fm2 »

Hey everyone,
We are hosting SouthNarc @ the Impactzone range in Houston (actually NE of H-town, near Hempstead) next month. You can e-mail me glockfan AT comcast.net; with any questions about deposits or hotel arrangements.

From the Shivworks site:

ShivWorks
Practical Unarmed Combat
Core Concepts Module

The ShivWorks Practical Unarmed Combat core concepts module is a 4
hour fundamental block of instruction that introduces the student to the
parameters and context of criminal assault. The student will learn how criminals
actually assault citizens in the real world and will initially focus on strategies and
tactics for challenging and preempting the potential assailant. The instruction will
then shift to immediate action procedures for spontaneous assault and how to
regain initiative with non-stylized basic tools.

Curriculum and topics covered:
•Parameters and objectives of criminal assault
•Awareness and task fixation
•Kinesic and verbal challenge strategies for the potential assailant
•Recognizing pre-assault cues
•Hard focus scan procedures
•Preemptive striking
•Default position
•Basic blows and regaining initiative

Equipment required for the class is a cup and mouthpiece. Course cost is $100.00

ShivWorks
Extreme Close Quarter Concepts I and II (ECQC I-II)

The ShivWorks Extreme Close Quarter Concepts I & II (ECQC 1&2) course is a 20 hour block of instruction which focuses on a multi-disciplinary approach to
building functional, combative handgun skills at zero to five feet. The course is
designed to instill core concepts of seamless integration and provide the platform
for aggressive problem solving during a life or death struggle. A heavy emphasis
is placed upon commonality of body mechanics between skill sub-sets, which
means that all combative software is reinforcing. Once the student’s skill sets are
initially ingrained, the participant will be stress inoculated with force on force drills
utilizing man-marking cartridges and protective equipment.

Topics covered include:

Block One
• Diagnostics
• Introduction to the components of the Combative Drawstroke
• Building the pectoral index in live-fire
• Firing throughout the horizontal line of presentation
• Off-hand fending positions
• Default position
• Basic empty hand blows
• Theory of in-fight weapon access
• Grounded basics

Block Two
• Challenging the potential attacker
• Preemptive weapon access
• Muzzle aversion within draw-stroke
• Negotiating the F.U.T.
• ECQ Handgun retention in holster
• ECQ handgun retention out of holster
• Handgun recovery
• Handgun striking

Equipment required
Holster, pistol, two magazines, eye & ear protection, heavy sweatshirt or soft
body armor, mouthpiece and cup, 500 rounds of ammo.
Course cost is $400.

This class is not recommended for beginning
shooters and prior documented training or instructor approval is required.
Students should be relatively fit as this is a contact class. Most of the latter half
of each day will be spent utilizing man marking cartridges and FIST
helmets, to allow the students to gain confidence in applying their newly acquired
skills against moving aggressive opponents.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
fm2

Re: ShivWorks PUC/ECQC1-2, Texas Oct. 15-17

Post by fm2 »

If you are thinking about attending, don't wait too long. There are only a few slots left.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
fm2

Post by fm2 »

It's almost time!!!!!!! The weather is going to be great for this kind of training.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

I hope a strong class attendance and some spectacular October weather in Houston resulted in a fantastic class for you and Craig.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
fm2

Post by fm2 »

Yes, we had a great training event, thanks.

We were able to do a little extra, shooting from inside a vehicle, that was very, very worthwhile. We also worked on some gun retention/grappling, car jacking evolution, and a managing 2 strangers evolution. We had some great students working the materila. A couple of policemen, a couple of air marshalls, and chl holders. One young man came from Missouri to train with us! I'll post a few pics this week.

Topic author
fm2

Post by fm2 »

Here's a pic from the class of students working the material.

Shooting from retention.Image

Getting to the "T" a key part of standing grappling, in preperation for the draw.

oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

My wife and I took the Practical Unarmed Combat module portion of this class. We are CHL holders, just ordinary citizens. This was our first first-hand exposure to Southnarc's training and we were very satisfied with the training. It was time and money well spent.

This course offered something invaluable that no other training I've taken has offered: the skillset to help an ordinary citizen going about his day manage the contact he has with strangers. IMO this skillset is more important than knowing how to run a gun, knife, etc, and should be the first training for anyone concerned about personal security.

Thanks to fm2 for making the arrangements and assisting Southnarc in teaching.

Topic author
fm2

Post by fm2 »

It was great to meet y'all as well! You are correct, the MUC is the most used skillset.

big 54r
Posts in topic: 1

Post by big 54r »

I'm glad to see you're still training with shiv works ferrel.
the class looked like they had a good day of training.
I haven't been to this site in a very long time but it's always good to know that you are still doing your part to keep the "peeps" trained!

Return to “General”