Basic unarmed self defense for me and wife

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

silverbear
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Basic unarmed self defense for me and wife

Post by silverbear »

Paladin wrote:IMHO Shivworks "Practical Unarmed Combat" is a great place to start for basic unarmed self defense. It's a short class, but every bit of it is solid gold.
This will be the class I take.
I support the right to arm bears.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

just saw this thread and wanted to chime in...

i've trained in muay thai for a almost 7 years now, off and on and brazillian jiu jitsu for a couple. in doing so, i've encountered all kinds of personal defense classes, teachers, techniques, heated discussions, etc... of everything i've come across, one name stands heads and shoulders above the rest: Bas Rutten.

Bas was a pancreas fighter back in the day and one heck of an athlete. his seld defense techniques are absolutelt, hands down, the best on the planet and can save your buns should you ever have to use them.

he takes a very candid approach to the whole concept and therefore students are comfortable from the get go - essential when training in something foreign or new.

while you can't really take classes in person, he does offer DVD sets - and even lots of great info via youtube vids - plenty to drill the tactics into your head completely.

his workout CDs are in my garage/gym and i work out to the sound of his voice calling drills almost every day.

here's one of his online vids - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you need/want more info, google him - his website has tons of products and info.

PS - dont judge Bas by that youtube vid, lol - it leaves a LOT out and seems cheesy at first glance.

best of luck, hope you guys find something that works for you!

Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

[quote="A-R
But I just don't want to get into one of those situations you often see with "unarmed self defense" instructors who constantly tell their students that "guns won't save you" or "guns are useless" and that only training with them endlessly and following their "program" will save you (I've seen it before). Many of these "hand-to-hand" instructors (for lack of a better broad term) see guns and gun training as "the competition" for dollars spent on self-defense training and I just want to be sure I'm not putting us into a position where I'm going to have to speak up in class to defend something I believe in (RKBA as self defense) against a testosterone-crazed alpha male.

).[/quote]

AR,

I can tell you for sure that Austin Self Defense is not a dont use guns use our system, they also teach the isreali form of shooting, as the poster above said its just another tool in the toolbox......... you can also check them out on Facebook. Im more partial to Haganah Fight system (been training in the system for 2.5yrs) but Krav also is a good system,

I have to appluad that you for not completely relying on a handgun to save the day, i believe knife, hand to hand should also be part of your self-defense toolbox.........

The one thing i would really look at a school is how they treat the new students, do they throw you in the pit going full speed or does the instructor have senior guys take it slow to build that muscle memory and amp it up when your ready to do so.......

I would steer away from a system/school that doesnt do that and throws you to the wolves,

I think flintknapper said it very well.....

strider67

Post by strider67 »

A-R,
Hopefully you have found a good self-defense course for you and your wife by now. I studied Okinawan Shobayashi Shorin-ryu karate, an Okinawan style, for a number of years. Through all of the years I trained, I never once entered a tournament, as that wasn't my purpose for studying. It seems you have received a lot of good advice from your fellow forumers here.
A couple of things that I may add, although others, or yourself, may disagree:
1. I wouldn't be so eager, IMHO, to discount the use of kata, or forms, in your training routine. It is simply a series of movements, or techniques, performed together. Through repetition and visualization, these movements will become second-nature to you, of which you can pull bits and pieces out, to be used in sparring or in a self defense scenario.
2. Choose a school that isn't so eager to sign you to a long-term contract. They have to have money to 'keep the doors open', of course, but make sure that the money isn't their driving force. Many schools will allow you to sit-in or participate in some classes before joining, to make sure it is the right fit for y'all.
3. If you find someone that isn't completely pro-gun, yet they have good instruction, then take the instruction. IMO, you don't always have to agree with someone in order to learn something from them.
Just my 2 cents, hope some of this may help... :tiphat:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Return to “General”