You missed a good one

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rbrecount
Posts in topic: 1

You missed a good one

Post by rbrecount »

Sat. Apr. 30 - Seven CHL holders got a taste of the training available from Instructor Daryl Smith in Victoria, TX.

Smith showed methods of carry and several holsters and led a discussion about the pros and cons of each. He drilled us on safety and the safe methods of draw, holstering, mag changing and muzzle control. We discussed ammo and penetration through various housing materials concluding that one had better know where that bullet is headed.

All afternoon we shot at fixed and moving targets, and while moving from left and right, toward and away, standing ,bending, kneeling, around, over and under barricades. Nearly every exercise required mag changes. It was exhausting, exhilarating and rewarding. "Woo, I'm beat from just getting up." said one old guy.

The best part was using a flashlight and shooting in darkness. Plastic sights, so bright in daylight, were no better than iron sights at night. Tritium and such are good until they gradually fade. Flashlight batteries die at the wrong time. The bright flash affects target acquisition.

Twelve great hours of lecture, demonstration and practice. It has taken three days for me to recover. I hope he does it again, just not too soon.
Ancient Airman
USN,WW II,Korea
Taurus pt 111
Taurus 24/7 PRO D/S
S&W 642-2 snubbie

PBratton

Re: You missed a good one

Post by PBratton »

Where would one go to see his schedule of classes?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Paladin

Re: You missed a good one

Post by Paladin »

If you want some good info on lowlight technique... Rex Applegate's Kill or Get Killed is a too often forgotten classic... Search for the section on "House of Horrors"... The military ran 500 men through this shoothouse with poor lighting and adverse shooting conditions. Using normal techniques the men averaged hitting 4 out of 12 targets at 10 feet or less. Using point shooting they averaged hitting 10 out of 12 targets.

Suarez also has excellent stuff on close quarters with his Tactical Advantage book and video
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General”