GLBT Friendly CHL Classes in Austin

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
paula
Posts in topic: 5

GLBT Friendly CHL Classes in Austin

Post by paula »

Hi all,

I am a transgender woman looking for CHL classes in the Austin area. I know that many CHL classes and instructors may be more socially conservative and unwelcoming of someone who is openly different. Is any one aware of classes that may be more friendly to the GLBT community?

Thanks in advance,

Paula
Application Filed July 29, 2012
Fingerprints taken August 6, 2012
CHL Class August 11, 2012
Paperwork Submitted August 13, 2012
Background check under Review August 29, 2012
Manufacturing Pending October 13, 2012
Manufacturing October 16, 2012
Mailed October 17, 2012
Plastic in hand October 20, 2012

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: GLBT Friendly CHL Classes in Austin

Post by RPB »

more friendly
:headscratch :confused5
I took the chl class near Burnet/Bertram area, and such issues were not part of the course material, but everyone seemed friendly enough with everyone else. They are much more conservative than Austinites, so I'd assume all Austin CHL classes would be friendly, but weirder. :cool:
I don't recall what part of the course genetics and choices comes in.
Do you mean a course which advises/offers more carry/clothing/concealment advice etc?
A lot of that could be learned here in the forum, but the course itself covers certain required material mandated by the State, DPS, like a Driver's Education course.... so your question is similar to "Which Drivers Education course is more friendly... in covering the material required by State Law"
I'm none of the above mentioned, I fall into these latter categories ... In the class I took, they even treated disabled, elderly, mixed race, and even ugly (oops, I mean the less-visually appealing or beauty-challenged) people the same in covering the required material. (People have pointed and laughed at me for about 60-something years; glad I could amuse them...but I don't recall that occurring during the CHL class)
:headscratch

I personally don't care what your "other" choices or decisions you make in life are if we are in a theater and stuff starts happening with an active shooter and you got my back.

Glad you are getting a CHL.... good decision.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
paula

Post by paula »

Thanks RPB. I would hope that all CHL classes share your views and conduct their classes in a professional manner. I have encountered situations where I have received less than friendly service in gun stores and perusing the forums here it seems that the greater majority of people hold conservative views. The overall attitude of instructors can make a huge difference in helping people feel that the learning environment is safe and open. There was a post elsewhere on this forum about a class where the instructor made gay bashing jokes throughout the course. Obviously, I would prefer a somewhat more respectful environment.

Cheers,

Paula
Mailed October 17, 2012

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

I won't be teaching another class until late September at the earliest, but you're welcome in my class. Same rules as everyone else - be safe, be respectful, keep profanity and "adult" language to a minimum, and no discussion of political/religious topics in class beyond those directly related to CHL.

I also offer small group classes so if you'd feel more comfortable around like-minded individuals and would like to put together a group I'd be happy to teach your specific group as well.

I feel as RPB stated - your private life/choices are yours and no business of mine. Glad you are considering a CHL.

:tiphat:

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

A-R wrote:I won't be teaching another class until late September at the earliest, but you're welcome in my class. Same rules as everyone else - be safe, be respectful, keep profanity and "adult" language to a minimum, and no discussion of political/religious topics in class beyond those directly related to CHL.

I also offer small group classes so if you'd feel more comfortable around like-minded individuals and would like to put together a group I'd be happy to teach your specific group as well.

I feel as RPB stated - your private life/choices are yours and no business of mine. Glad you are considering a CHL.

:iagree:
That's a great idea.During the last Texas legislative session, I tried in vain talking to some University of Texas people who lived in fear of gay basher gangs with baseball bats and feared CHLs; But, I see no difference than a gang of thugs assaulting a weaker elderly, disabled or female person, or persons racially different to take advantage of them. The Second Amendment is about self protection/self defense, and certain items carried legally are great equalizers.
Regardless of any other differences, more CHLs = safer environment all around. It really should not be a Liberal v. Conservative issue, though in certain parts of the Country politics did get involved aligning with certain issues;
Self Defense ... it's about equalizing
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A rather interesting first post. This thread is not going where it could easily wind up.

Chas.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This thread is not going where it could easily wind up.

Chas.
:iagree:

And as it's been stated, a CHL is about self defense. I couldn't care less if someone was purple, green, had an elephant trunk as a nose, eyes as ears, etc. It is your god given right as a human being to defend / protect yourself.

I honestly think that while CHLers tend to gravitate toward the conservative side of the house, you will not find a nicer, more polite, and accepting group of people.

Congrats, Paula, on working toward your CHL. There's a ton of information on this site and we're glad you joined!

*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

There was that instructor who advertised his policy of religious discrimination, but most people I have met in the firearms community are more accepting. If you don't talk about your politics/religion/sexuality they will do the same.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

A-R wrote: I feel as RPB stated - your private life/choices are yours and no business of mine. Glad you are considering a CHL.

:iagree: . Haven't taken the class from A-R, but he has always come across as a stand up guy on the boards. He's even in your area so that makes things easy.

Welcome to the forum.
TANSTAAFL

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

gringo pistolero wrote: If you don't talk about your politics/religion/sexuality they will do the same.
:iagree: This is the key.
If someone didn't come out and make an issue out of it, then it means nothing to me.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
paula

Post by paula »

Teamless wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote: If you don't talk about your politics/religion/sexuality they will do the same.
:iagree: This is the key.
If someone didn't come out and make an issue out of it, then it means nothing to me.
I agree with this in theory. If it was possible for me to sit back and keep my mouth closed and no one know I was transgender, then I certainly wouldn't bring it up. However, I don't really "pass" as non-transgender. I am, as some might say, a rather "big boned gal". This is not me "making an issue out of it", it's just me not hiding who I am. Based upon a number of posts on the Texas CHL Forum, there are plenty of people who don't mind bringing up their opposition to gay marriage, sexual orientation etc., I am not here to win any of these people over in terms of their belief systems, I'm just trying to feel a little safer in my life.

Respectfully,

Paula

PS, Thank you for all the supportive posts, I am sure this really is a fair and civil minded community.
Mailed October 17, 2012

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

Unfortunately the Pink Pistols website is defunct but there used to be a Central Texas chapter. If some of the local chapter is still around, they can probably suggest instructors who are GLBT friendly and not just GLBT tolerant if that's what you want.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

Post by 77346 »

paula wrote:I know that many CHL classes and instructors may be more socially conservative and unwelcoming of someone who is openly different.
Paula,

I took my class in June... I live in the Houston area and my class was a good representation of the good people of Harris County. We were 20 students, roughly 60% male and 40% female; whites, blacks, hispanics (me been one) and one asian; young (mid 20's) and middle-age (50+).

There is a lot of material packed into the 10 hr class, and frankly you don't have much time to mingle with the other students. The instructors kept us on task and on track. I only crossed words with the guy and gal sitting next to me, mainly because they were curious about my firearm.

However, I understand your concern... perhaps it's worth talking to the instructor before signing up for the class, just to kinda check him/her out. Also, Austin is not the cradle of Conservative America, so I would think there are plenty of places that will suit your needs.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Hola Gato wrote:Unfortunately the Pink Pistols website is defunct but there used to be a Central Texas chapter. If some of the local chapter is still around, they can probably suggest instructors who are GLBT friendly and not just GLBT tolerant if that's what you want.
That's too bad, I always liked the idea behind the Pink Pistols.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
paula

Post by paula »

RHenriksen wrote:
Hola Gato wrote: suggest instructors who are GLBT friendly and not just GLBT tolerant if that's what you want.
I would love to support someone who was GLBT friendly but am absolutely happy with someone who is GLBT tolerant. Again, thanks for all the supportive replies.

I was hoping to get trained before the end of September but if not I appreciate A-R's openness. A-R, do you have a website? Also open to other trainers that may be tolerant. On the other hand, if there are any I should specifically avoid. Again, I am not out to change minds. If you don't want me in your class, I probably don't want to be there.

Cheers,

Paula
Mailed October 17, 2012

Return to “General”