Training recommendations, Basic handgun Austin Area

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Training recommendations, Basic handgun Austin Area

Post by E.Marquez »

Mods, if this is the worng forum, please move.. I did not see a more appropriate one to ask the question.

Looking for recommendations to a Basic Hand gun course in the Austin area.
Participant is an older, intelligent, mechanically minded former military (Vietnam era, but non combat type hence the lack of weapons training)
Looking for a basic class....Not something dumbed down... not something that spends a lot of time on WHY you need to be safe.. the how is fine...
If you know of MSF Basic motorcycle training course that would be akin to what he is looking for.

Thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Saffron
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Training recommendations, Basic handgun Austin Area

Post by Saffron »

In the Austin area, I recommend Karl and Penny without reservation.
http://www.krtraining.com/whatclass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do know my Bible, sir.

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Saffron wrote:In the Austin area, I recommend Karl and Penny without reservation.
http://www.krtraining.com/whatclass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seconded. Although it's a long drive, it is very much worth it for any class they are putting on.

doncom

Post by doncom »

I teach Basic NRA and Texas CHL, but also offer custom training on an one-on-one basis.

Don
USN Seabees '72-'78

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I've been to KR and it is a bit of a drive. They certainly won't hold back on any criticism of your technique or gear -- or if you fail in any way to listen to them. Don't ask me how I know. The older guy is quite gruff and critical, but when you leave you will know far more than when you came in.

DO NOT forget to bring your lunch. There is nothing for miles and you only get an hour.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Jorge at Citadel is a great guy and excellent instructor. Definitely knows his stuff and really knows how to tailor his approach to his immediate audience. I'm sure he still does private lessons also.
http://www.citadelinstitute.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Just wanted to post a follow up. The acquaintance I was asking for, worked with a local training provider vice the one I suggested (KR) .. He was very disappointed, and concluded it was more of a CHL mill, then a training class as advertised.

He then went to KRtraining and had an excellent experience, so much so he went back for another course.
So congrats to http://www.krtraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for making a great impression and providing quality training.

I've asked the gentleman to pop in here and provide his own review. :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

nimrod

Post by nimrod »

Just found this thread, I'm the individual OP E. Marquez mentioned. Thanks "E." and respondents for the suggestions.

Yes, the KR Training suggestion was very welcome indeed, accurately described in posts above, I should have started there instead of at "Brand X".

I wrote a review of both the bad and the good experiences of my beginning training and posted in the "Instructors, Classes and Training>General" section but it was promptly removed by mods as "suspected advertising or spam". Thought that was cleared-up via a PM exchange with mods but I still don't see it re-posted (?). So it goes.

Bottom line - thanks for the help.

EDIT - just found my training review post, it ended-up here viewtopic.php?t=76192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nimrod

Post by nimrod »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:I've been to KR and it is a bit of a drive. They certainly won't hold back on any criticism of your technique or gear -- or if you fail in any way to listen to them. Don't ask me how I know. The older guy is quite gruff and critical, but when you leave you will know far more than when you came in. .....
Just wanted to follow-up on this accurate commentary. The un-varnished and very direct approach of the KR folks is exactly part of what made it good, IMHO. The "older guy" (ouch, my age) was the support instructor for my first course and lead instructor for my second.

KRT are definitely not fans of DA/SA handguns for personal defense. BUT, they explain why in logical terms and in no way did that interfere with the training I received using my DA/SA Sig; their response was to simply move directly into helping me learn how to train and practice properly with that action for best possible results. They consistently explain the basis for their critical opinions regarding technique and gear - you can't hope for anything better than that.

rspeir

Post by rspeir »

Another recommendation for KR Training! 6 classes so far and 1 next Saturday.

stroo

Post by stroo »

KR Training is great. They didn't like my OWB holster; they preferred IWB. But they explained their point of view very well, I disagreed giving my reasons and on we went with the class. Great experiance; if I didn't live north of the DFW Airport, I would take more classes from them.

Return to “General”