NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Class

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Class

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I taught the first NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (“PPOH�) class in May and as with all new classes, I learned a lot. For example, the NRA lists it as a 14 hour class (7 hrs classroom and 7 hrs on the range), but we put 18 hrs into two Saturdays, not counting lunch breaks. I actually had about another half- hour of material I wanted to include in the course, but didn’t because of the time.

So, I’m faced with the decision of either cutting back on the material I included in the course, cutting back on questions from the class, and not adding the material I want to add, or “officially� extending the class to 18 to 19 hours. (The size of the class will obviously have an effect, especially on range time.) I won’t cut out material that I think is important, so my PPOH classes from now on will be planned for 19 to 20 hours. This will be about 10 hrs in the classroom and 9 to 10 hrs on the range. Having lunch delivered to the range is also helpful.

To accommodate this schedule, the classes will be offered in two formats. One will have two 10 hr. Saturdays. The other format will have us meeting three evenings for 3-4 hrs. each and then 9 to 10 hrs. on the range. The plan now is for Class #1 on a Friday, Class Nos. 2 & 3 the next Thursday and Friday, then we’ll be on the range on Saturday. This way, people will only have to come for one workday evening (Thursday). I’m also going to limit future classes to 10 to 12 people. Due to the increase in the length of the course, the fee is going to be $120.00.

If anyone is interested in attending a PPOH Class in July using this 3 evening + Saturday format, please let me know and I’ll try to get it on the schedule.

To the folks in the first Class, I apologize for keeping you 4 hours longer than you had planned!

Chas.

RedRaider

Re: NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Class

Post by RedRaider »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
To the folks in the first Class, I apologize for keeping you 4 hours longer than you had planned!

Chas.
No need to apologize, I think we all enjoyed every minute of the class, at least I did. For those that haven't taken this course I highly recommend it.

Wes

Skiprr

Re: NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Class

Post by Skiprr »

RedRaider wrote:No need to apologize, I think we all enjoyed every minute of the class, at least I did. For those that haven't taken this course I highly recommend it.
:iagree:

Charles's class is, IMHO, an imprtant step CHLers can take for additional training. I count myself lucky to have been in the first class last May...because I predict these classes will start to fill up as soon as they're announced once folks start to realize the value packed into those 19 hours.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

Where would the classes be held?

Keith

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockenHammer »

keb wrote:Where would the classes be held?

Keith
I'm pretty sure these will be at PSC

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockenHammer »

Charles,

I am definitely up for the class. In July, I'm out the last week, but otherwise could do the evening class or the Saturday only class. ChoppedLiver will be on kid duty for which I am grateful.

GH

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Ladyjack and I can probably work out either class schedule. However, due to the drive time involved would prefer only coming out to PSC twice.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General”