Last Saturday, my wife and I took a class called Beyond CHL, taught by Ben Branam. Ben also has a website: www.ModernSelfProtection.com.
I'm not sure how, but I ended up on the website, but I did and started listening to Ben's podcasts. I liked his "everyday man" approach to self defense. I'm not a SEAL. I'm never going to be a SEAL, so I don't need SEAL level training or gear (though it would be fun). My wife and I gave the class to each other for Valentines Day. Ben is out of San Antonio, but holds classes in other areas. We took ours at The Impact Zone near Houston.
The class started at 9 and wrapped up shortly after 5. We trained straight through - including through lunch. We started with a safety briefing that went beyond "the 4 rules" then started shooting. We had five people in our class so got to shoot a lot.
We learned to shoot up close, on the move, behind cover and long range. I had no idea I could shoot my weapon so fast and accurately - especially while moving. Ben took lots of time with us one-on-one to show us what we were doing wrong, how we could improve, etc. He also brought in stories from his time in the Marines and Iraq, his job driving an armored truck and other stories from around the country that were in the news. During lunch he talked about legal use of force. He covered the gamut.
I highly recommend Ben, his classes and his podcasts. He's a great teacher and fun to be around. Also, he is no nonsense, straight forward and extremely safety minded (not only during the course but teaches safety in the home too). The podcasts let me know that I liked his style before signing up for the class, which took some of the "I hope it's worth the money" fear out. The class met all of my expectations and more.
My wife and I will definitely be taking more of his classes - even if we have to drive to San Antonio. I felt his price was a great value and the training was top notch.
General training discussions and class reviews.
- Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions
- Test Area
- Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)
- Resources & Links
- CHL Checklist
- Government resources & CHL-related links
- DPS Updates
- National Rifle Association, Texas Firearms Coalition & Good Guys United
- National Rifle Association
- Texas Firearms Coalition
- Good Guys United
- General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion
- General Texas CHL Discussion
- Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues
- Rifles & Shotguns
- New to CHL?
- The "Waiting Room"
- Other States
- Shooting Ranges
- Reloading Forum
- Never Again!!
- Competitive Shooting
- Hunting Photos
- Books & Videos
- Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!
- Holsters & Accessories
- LEO Contacts & Bloopers
- "How To" Tips
- Job Board
- Camp's Corner
- Prayer Requests & Updates
- The Crime Blotter
- Self-Defense Reports
- Instructors , Classes and Training
- LTC Class Schedules & Locations
- Basic & Advanced Training (Non-LTC)
- Past Classes
- Instructors' Corner
- Market: Buy, Sell, Trade - Please check the minimum posting requirements in Forum Rule 13
- Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies
- FFL Holders
- Closed Items
- Commercial Vendor Bargains and Deal
- Community Service Announcements
- General Announcements
- Animal Rescue
- Prior Year TexasCHLforum Days
- 2012 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- 2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- 2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008
- Feedback - 2007 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC
- 2007 TexasCHLforum Day
- General Legislative Discussions
- 2017 Texas Legislative Session
- 2017 Legislative Wish List
- Crimes on Campus
- Prior Session: 2005 - 2015
- 2015 Legislative Session
- 2013 Texas Legislative Session
- 2013 Calls-To-Action
- 2011 Texas Legislative Session
- 2009 Texas Legislative Session
- 2007 Texas Legislative Session
- 2005 Texas Legislative Session
- Goals for 2007
- Concealed Carry on College Campuses
- 2014 Elections
- Prior Year Elections
- 2012 Texas & Federal Elections
- Texas - 2008
- Federal - 2008
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests